In The News: In Need Of $50,000, Oregon Crusaders Marching Band

it's obvious that the people who look after the finances for O.C. aren't in tune with finances. Sorry ,but to be out 50 grand half way through the season is not good money management / budgeting.

All the best. I hope the ways and means committee and fundraisers can pull through for the kids.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, should we trash the Troopers now?

Maybe they shouldn't have gone on tour. [/sarcasm]

Hey Kevin, maybe you can help, but I'm missing the part in your excerpt where it says the Troopers need $50,000 or else they're packing their things and going home.

I understand corps rely on fundraisers and donations, but IMO these things should be settled before the season begins, not in July.

If they don't have the money to go to Indy they should stay home and plan better for next year, don't tell the kids "hey, remember how I said we're going to Indy? Oh yeah well um, if we don't $50,000 right now then we're staying home."

Just a little different from the Troopers situation.

So, should we trash the Troopers now?

I don't see this as trashing any corps, but I do see it as legitimate concern for the marching members.

Maybe they shouldn't have gone on tour. [/sarcasm]

If the well being of the members is in any doubt, is a WC corps any different from an OC corps?

Too bad all these money savvy cpa's dont jump right in and volunteer to help the corps that need the help instead of just criticizing and taking pot shots at the staff that is in the trenches. The view from the mountain is alot different than the one from the trenches......maybe come down from the lofty places and join the troops in the trenches to see what its like.

These are my own thoughts and do not reflect those of my organization.

Flame Away!

Edited by tradition

HERE HERE! It has been my experience the loudest voices usually do very little of the work.

Too bad all these money savvy cpa's dont jump right in and volunteer to help the corps that need the help instead of just criticizing and taking pot shots at the staff that is in the trenches. The view from the mountain is alot different than the one from the trenches......maybe come down from the lofty places and join the troops in the trenches to see what its like.

These are my own thoughts and do not reflect those of my organization.

Flame Away!

Lol we're hardly taking "pot-shots".

Apparently you can't discuss a corps finances without being against them.

I sincerely hope OC gets everything figured out, as I enjoy their programs.

However if I were going to march anywhere next year, I'd definitely look for OC to be more financially stable before even considering them.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking a corps should schedule based on what they have rather than what they might have.

Excellent post, Kevin! I am glad to see my $25 was well invested. Good luck OC!

P.S. Why did you have to bring my alum, Strongsville, into the equation? :tongue:

Really? Heck, my wife taught there for 12 years. She's now at Highland, starting and building their orchestra program.

Lol we're hardly taking "pot-shots".

Apparently you can't discuss a corps finances without being against them.

I sincerely hope OC gets everything figured out, as I enjoy their programs.

However if I were going to march anywhere next year, I'd definitely look for OC to be more financially stable before even considering them.

Maybe I'm crazy for thinking a corps should schedule based on what they have rather than what they might have.

You might be crazy for running your mouth when from your posts you clearly don't have ANY idea how drum corps are actually run.

Too bad all these money savvy cpa's dont jump right in and volunteer to help the corps that need the help

Some of us money savvy CPA's can only donate to one corps a year, as we have the sense to plan for things such as loans, living expenses, and costs associated with everyday life.

You might be crazy for running your mouth when from your posts you clearly don't have ANY idea how drum corps are actually run.

So because someone doesn't know the exact way a drum corps is run, nothing else can contribute to his knowledge of good business sense? Foresight is key when you're running a business, and running a drum corps is very much like running a business. It is your responsibility to make sure your entity is kept afloat, even moreso than a typical business because now you have to worry about the well-being of the members. Budgeting shouldn't be ENTIRELY reliant on what you're hoping to incur, and that's just what this situation was. It's not unreasonable to include potential income in your forecasting model, but it IS unreasonable to expect that you will always meet these goals and not have a contingency plan, especially on something as flaky as a fundraiser. It was based on hope that they would have successful fundraisers to carry them through tour. In my opinion, any fundraiser that happens during the season (meaning, after camps are through) to supplement the current season in such a vital way isn't a great idea. But I digress, inevitably awaiting the return of the "you clearly don't have any idea how drum corps are actually run" comments.

What would happen if they made it halfway to Indianapolis only to realize that there was NO way to feed the corps unless people donated money on short notice? What would happen if NOBODY donated the money? Would these members all be stranded with nowhere to stay and nothing to eat? While people are quick to jump on the "you should help out and contribute so things like this don't happen" bandwagon, discussing this topic is not necessarily malicious in intent. This is a serious issue, not just for the OC, but for any corps that encounters this. All I care about is that the OC is on the road and hopefully making a finals appearance, but for people to automatically try to hush others who have a not so positive opinion on the matter is unreasonable. It's not all roses and dandelions when it comes to drum corps budgeting issues, but does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to discuss it?

Edited by Musicman1084

So because someone doesn't know the exact way a drum corps is run, nothing else can contribute to his knowledge of good business sense? Foresight is key when you're running a business, and running a drum corps is very much like running a business. It is your responsibility to make sure your entity is kept afloat, even moreso than a typical business because now you have to worry about the well-being of the members. Budgeting shouldn't be ENTIRELY reliant on what you're hoping to incur, and that's just what this situation was. It's not unreasonable to include potential income in your forecasting model, but it IS unreasonable to expect that you will always meet these goals and not have a contingency plan, especially on something as flaky as a fundraiser. It was based on hope that they would have successful fundraisers to carry them through tour. In my opinion, any fundraiser that happens during the season (meaning, after camps are through) to supplement the current season in such a vital way isn't a great idea. But I digress, inevitably awaiting the return of the "you clearly don't have any idea how drum corps are actually run" comments.

What would happen if they made it halfway to Indianapolis only to realize that there was NO way to feed the corps unless people donated money on short notice? What would happen if NOBODY donated the money? Would these members all be stranded with nowhere to stay and nothing to eat? While people are quick to jump on the "you should help out and contribute so things like this don't happen" bandwagon, discussing this topic is not necessarily malicious in intent. This is a serious issue, not just for the OC, but for any corps that encounters this. All I care about is that the OC is on the road and hopefully making a finals appearance, but for people to automatically try to hush others who have a not so positive opinion on the matter is unreasonable. It's not all roses and dandelions when it comes to drum corps budgeting issues, but does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to discuss it?

blah blah blah :thumbup:

Edited by ilovedc2