Phantom debacle

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah visual/drill is what is killing them.

HOWEVER, I was not impressed with the sound they were producing on the Jupiter horns. If you have heard them live you may agree that they lack a certain 'pop' that they have had in the past. I can't explain it any better. I know they are putting lots of air through it but it seems like something is missing. Its almost like hitting a restricted flight golf ball. Not quite the same.

I know this thread is about their new horns... but

Just watched them on FN again. Simply comparing their openers, the drill (even though unchanged) has become more dirty in execution.

PR used a lot of diagonal line in their drill and it certainly reminds me of triangles of SCV last season. It is very difficult to execute well. Most importantly, the tempo of the drill needs to be bumped up to match their awesome music.

For orchestral trombone players, it is true. Sorry, but handcrafted (custom) instruments are what most use now.

I agree with rosski47...saying that all top players of a particular instrument play the same make?... I just don't buy that.

Certainly many trombonists play Shires. Great horns. Alessi plays Edwards, I believe? And Chicago Symphony Orchestra (including Friedman) play Strads? And isn't Lindberg playing a Conn model he helped design?

I'm not saying these three are the BEST, but certainly they are three OF the best....

Hmmmmm.....

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!! The synths are bad enough!!

*but I agree with your assessment*

If the Island Nation of Trinidad and the Rudy Muck company can come across with shells, mouthpieces, and enough money, I think Wayne will make the deal. (And probably make it work.)

but I agree with YOUR assessment.

Yeah...that certain corps didnt win the great majority of their horns with Dynasty bugles....

Okay, this brings up a good question that someone with solid BD knowledge can answer:

How long has BD been using Dynasty brass? Prior to that, what did they play on and what years?

handcrafted by whom?

In the United States, Edwards and Shires for the most part. In Europe, Rath and Thein.

I really wouldn't be to quick to drop them to the bottom 6. I think finishing as high as 5th is a possibility for them. I don't know why everyone thinks they have a horrible visual program. I'm sorry, but Phantom absolutely has a better drill than SCV this year. I'm not trying to rip on SCV (they are my favorite corps after all), but I'm just surprised everyone is slamming Phantom's drill. Yes, Phantom has guard issues, but I honestly believe they will be 6th (at lowest) by the end of the season. They have a horn line that can challenge the top lines and their drum line is championship worthy. Their musical scores are saving them right now - if they clean up the visual they will easily top Blue Stars, BAC and probably Bluecoats. Personally, I believe they will finish the season in 5th place, ahead of SCV too.

I agree with rosski47...saying that all top players of a particular instrument play the same make?... I just don't buy that.

Certainly many trombonists play Shires. Great horns. Alessi plays Edwards, I believe? And Chicago Symphony Orchestra (including Friedman) play Strads? And isn't Lindberg playing a Conn model he helped design?

I'm not saying these three are the BEST, but certainly they are three OF the best....

Hmmmmm.....

I never said "all" top players. I said "most" as in majority. Of course there are those who don't. And that's why I also mentioned personal preference. And I'm glad you mentioned Alessi. Where do you think I heard it from?? Having a horn custom made just for you makes a big difference. Wouldn't you think he has a point?

Edited by Feathers Up