The Crown Flu

For the record: I wasn't thinking of Capital Regiment when I wrote that. Talk to enough drum corps people and you'll hear the same horror stories when it comes to folded drum corps.

i talked with kids last year for a long time one night and they told me about their experience there and they said exactly what you said. but it looks like this year is run way better then back then

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AND WHAT'S SO MEAN? Don't they own that slot?.... :doh: if you think thats mean haven't you read other things on DCP,,,,get over it

Somone else wrote in another thread Hickmam= boreing + Salas = tacky = Glassmen I didnt her anything over that GEZZZZZZ

so i have found out that if i hold my tongue people still get mad and if i defend people get offended. I will see you in August for the scores.

so i have found out that if i hold my tongue people still get mad and if i defend people get offended. I will see you in August for the scores.

Hey dont get me wrong GREAT !!! if they finally get themselves out of that spot. They could go to 1st and people still will feel the same or some people

wasnt this thread about Crown anyway...lol Have to admit I did enjoy the Hickman Salas comment. And I can say it I know Sal many many years

Just so I can get facts straight.....was the missed show a Crown decision, DCI decision, or combination. I have marched and have worked in drum corps. I can guarantee that a missed show is definitely NOT something that anybody wants, but sometimes it has to happen. Living in tight quarters like they do, a 24 hour bug can quickly become a summer long problem. Constant trading of the virus back and forth. I am sure that the staff has had many conversations with the membership about washing water coolers, mouthpieces, horns, etc. and hopefully they have even gone one step further in making sure the kids have a had a Wal-Mart run to buy new toothbrushes and what have you.

What year was it that Boston Crusaders had their infamous virus? I believe they had to miss a few shows, too. If I was the corps director, I would have have made the same decision. A missed show is something nobody wants, but if it is for the better of the corps, then you must do what you have to do. The corps members work awfully hard, but they ain't no Superman. 98% of the fans, while disappointed that the corps will have to miss a show, will understand.

I agree. From my understanding of how things are run these days, it's a combination of DCI and the corps directors. I think the directors who make these decisions are correct, to protect the well being of the kids first. I know that some corps directors have taken kids to clinics as percautions to be proactive about this flu that is going around. I respect those decisions, I'd rather pull a corps out of a show for the well being of the kids then to make them practice, perform, sick. It is not a fun feeling at all. I'm glad to see things have changed about that.

Edited by Lancerlady

Absolutely no where did I say that I had the same bug Crown did. By saying going around, there are a lot of people here sick, including my kids entire summer camp class. If you took it the wrong way, my apologies.

Listen, I don't know what the problem is, however my comments in the OP were not a knock on Crown. They have my favorite show of the year, hands down. But when I watched the show on Fan Network, the impression I got was that there were mental errors and some stamina issues that they hadn't had earlier in the season. If the kids are still tired and haven't completely recovered yet, then I think its very plauseable to make the assumption they still aren't 100 percent.

What is so wrong with that?

I agree, and I also think that Crown just like all the corps, were dealing with the heat that week. Being healthy and working in the heat, has its toll, but being sick, and working in the heat was probably very hard. I think Crown is getting better, and I hope they will recover and put on the best Crown show ever.

Edited by MariaCrown2010

uhhh maybe there are more people falling ill as others are getting well. Just a thought. Maybe they were hoping it was just 24 hours. All I know is what I witnessed when I saw them rehearse last Thursday in Houston. I heard coughing and heaving everytime they put their horns down. It was obvious there were several members doing their best to get back in the show despite the 98 degree weather.

edit: Lastly, are you saying that someone who is actually on staff or marching with Crown that has personally told you they were using sickness as an excuse for performance? Fans maybe but the corps proper?

Crown needs NO excuse for their performances. At the height of their sickness, and with the most holes in line at performance competition, and with practice time efforts the most compromised with lots of marchers in sick bay, etc, the record shows the Corps actually had their biggest improvements in scores that week. So the idea that Crown needed to "make up excuses " begs the question........" excuses for what ? "

Edited by BRASSO

Talking to my doc this morning, he says that there have been an unusually high number of Type A Influenza cases spreading across the country over the past two months and that according to what he has seen and read, it has been getting more widespread. Normally the flu season ends in April or May, but this year it hasn't even peaked.

Everyone involved with Crown said that it was just a 24 hour bug and that people were pretty much on the field the next day perfectly fine and this was over a week ago.

Getting sick can only be used as an excuse for so long. Other corps have been sick and had injuries too.

Whos using it as an excuse? San Antonio by all accounts wasn't their best run. I don't think you will find any members making any excuses.

One other thing... I didn't see any other corps having to cancel performances due to injuries or illness.

So what is your point? Why don't you show some backbone and say Crown used it as an excuse? Sure. Every corps likes to rehearse with 24 holes.

:thumbup: