Best single minute of drum corps

"The company front push Spirit of Atlanta's 1976 "Let It Be Me." The audience stood up at the beginning of the push and didn't sit down through the entire last minute of the show. I never witnessed that before or since."

Michael, hate to correct you, and someone else may have already, but Spirit didn't compete until 1977, and didn't play "Let it Be Me" until 1978.....

Of course, homage needs to be paid to the end of SCV in 1982, the Bottle Dance ("Oh, my my....they're pulling out all the stops tonight!").

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't pick just one. :( LOL, so sue me! :)

Tier ONE:

- Phantom Regiment 2008 Pure Drum Corps Adrenalin in the last push. Will never get 25,000 people yelling I am Spartacus as the Drum Major is speared and the crows was just in pandemonium straight through the end from there

- Star 1991 Pure Genius of an ending

- SCV 1988/89 - Chills every time from the company front to the end

- Madison Scouts 1995 - From the company front pinwheel on, pandamonium

- Cadets 1995 - Patriotic, Triumphant close to the show. Pure goosebump moment.

- Phantom Regiment 1996 - From the Horn Arc of all time to the end, just wow

- Phantom Regiment 1991 - That closing minute of Bachanale is to die for

- Cadets 1987 - just magical (SCV 2009 may join this list)

- Phantom Regiment 2003 - From the last wedge on, it gets my heart pumping every time

- Not part of a show, but the minute of crowd euphoria after second place was announced in 2008 in Bloomington at Finals is a moment I will never, ever forget.

Tier TWO:

- Madison Scouts 1997 - The chord & gimicks that just worked.

- Madison Scouts 1999 - That last sequence & drill of Jesus Christ Superstar just rocked

- Phantom Regiment 2001 - a phenomenal close to that show, esp. for a corps that finished 7th!

- Phantom Regiment 1993 - Four Words: Fire of Eternal Glory

- Carolina Crown 2007 - That horse racing finale was inspired

- Carolina Crown 2005 - That Arms of the Angel Ballad was one of the most beautiful moments I've ever seen & heard.

- Phantom Regiment 1995 - The middle ballad section with the framing was just beautiful - like a bath in chocolate! :)

- SCV 1987 - Those closing moments of Russian Christmas Music are what Drum Corps is all about

- Star 1990 - As someoen else said, the end of the opener was just terrific - brass heaven!

- SCV 2000 - That finale to Adagio for Strings was a magical moment

- Phantom Regiment 2006 - Two different sections in this show - the incredible ballad, and the finale to the show

- Phantom Regiment 2008 - The one/two minute section of the ballad/murder and battle afterwards.

- Cadets 2005 - one of my favorite ballads of all time - with the terrific "sorceress" moving her percusion players in piece by piece.

I'm sure I'm forgetting many, many others. Sorry for the long list. Was having too much fun reliving so many great memories!

Harvey

I'll just add another Star mention...1988: they hit some powerful chords throughout the show, but man they are putting out some sound at the end of Porgy and Bess. Do we even hear power chords like this anymore?

Goosebumps moments at:

1:06-1:22

5:10-5:20

10:15-10:26

10:39-end

Huge goosebumps moment:

10:27-10:38

Man, I miss those G bugles :thumbup::devil: :devil:

Edited by atlvalet

So many moments over a couple decades, but I'll stick to the OP's request for the best single minute. And I'll try to explain why and how as much as what.

It's my favorite, plus it redefined the boundaries of demand - drill, music, the 2-valved G bugles, everything - and did so with a restraint and subtlety that is transcendent in every sense of the word.

It set the standard for musicality and musical possibilities of drum corps that are rarely approached, much less matched. No parts were dumbed down, no tempos slowed, no part of the corps asked to stand still, no synths or mics, no compromises. An Olympian achievement.

Kind of like sound engineers at concerts of almost any type of music throwing in some Steely Dan because it's just mixed so peerlessly, performed so well, it is the one band whose recordings are considered 'perfect' enough to adjust levels to approach it.

OK, now with that buildup...

'87 Cadets, about 2 minutes into the show, when you've got melody and counter melody, and the sops and mellos and baris become a first violin section, achingly exposed at the top of each of their ranges doing arpeggios that are tough even on a violin, and then, somehow, magically, impossibly, you've got a whole corps doing difficult drill and marching at a quick pace, while playing not snares or brass instruments, but a string orchestra. Better: like the Cleveland Orchestra, where you cannot quite distinguish violins from violas from cellos from basses - exquisite blending, chamber music as orchestra. No one plays, listens, and blends better than Cleveland, and no one exceeded the Cadets '87 achievement, though some equalled it.

Some years later on a PBS finals broadcast about arranging for 'the drum corps idiom' and its possibilities featured exactly that minute, and for good reason. Someone should put that up on YouTube, eh?

I listen to that Cadets show and see and hear a drum corps, but also a string orchestra and a ballet company simultaneously.

Subtle. Sublime. Scrumtrellescent.

Edited by zig zig ZAG

I posted this on another forum, but I think this forum is more appropriate for this post. So here ya go!

(and no this is not a single minute that I loved, its just moments that I will never forget)

First thing, is hearing the base drum tapping in the corp. Just seeing them all serious, and focused reminds me as to why I love Marching activities. :thumbup:

Second thing, when I was at Finals (and yes everyone has said this) and I saw Phantom's drum major get killed, I couldn't believe my eyes, and most of all, I couldn't believe that that acually JUST happened! That was a great moment.

Third thing, I am a huge Crown fan, and I remember seeing their 08 show at Finals. Now you think the HUGE chords would get me the most, but something so subtle got me, and it got me good. I remember their ballad ending, and seeing the corp on one knee, facing back field, and hearing the trumpets sustaining a high note, yet in tune, and hearing an overall balanced chord. It was so pretty and once again, I couldn't believe that it was acually being done.

Fourth thing, (once again) at 08 Finals. Knowing that there were two spots left, and it was either BD or Phantom. Hearing the silence before the "and in second place with a score of...", then hearing the second place corp, and litterly feeling the entire stadium ROAR and SHAKE. Then thru all of this, looking to see how Phantom is reacting, and seeing everyone still except for the barley visible shaking of corp members trying to not move while crying. I was blessed to whitness that moment live.

Fifth thing, the first time I watched the SCV's show this year, and the first time I heard/watched them hit the company front at the end of their show. Woah that moment in Finals this year will be unforgettable.

Last one, (for now) This year's Ballad by Blue stars, it was random, and I was barley paying attention while watching the show online, and hearing it and getting chills thru the computer screen hearing how beautifully arranged that piece is. I was very impressed by Blue Stars.

Any moments that you feel like adding to Finals 08, I would like to hear. Because luckly I was there, and I want to remember such a great night :)

Edited by MariaCrown2010

1992 - VK - End of the show with the shark

YES!!! This was hands down the best moment in Drum Corps history!!!!

That was 82 and 83. "Pursuit"was the solo in 80 and 82. They both kicked.

Madison 88-the mello solo in "Malaguena" to the Spanish chords of death and the decelerando at the end, esp at Finals. I'd never heard a crowd sound like that.

Another great moment from that year that gets less love: The bass drum melody at the end of the "Hurricane" section of Star's "Porgy and Brass" show. The first time I heard it I just about plotzed.

Thanks. My bad. Hit the wrong key :thumbup: