Best single minute of drum corps

Most memorable minutes, or there-a-bouts:

1. 1987 Garfield Cadets: the closing from the company front to the end is just classic drum corps that will never die (see SCV 2009)

2. Madison Scouts 1995: last minute or so. The crowd went nuts, the show was amazing, and the corps was hot.

3. SCV 1988: last minute of Phantom of the Opera. Absolutely beautiful, powerful, riveting, and wonderful.

4. Star of Indiana 1991: last minute, Zingali just doing his thing, and man was that amazing. In terms of drill, this was the best last minute EVER!!!!!!!!! When you first saw the cross to cross move you just couldn't believe it. I haven't seen anything like that since.

5. Garfield Cadets 1984: The mellophone solo in I Have A Love (Barbara Maroney I think). Simply the best ever, the best arrangement of that song for field, and the performance and drill were riveting. Interestingly enough, I heard a neat interview with Wayne Downey of the Blue Devils (done not that long ago) and he was telling a story of how when he first saw this show (Garfield 84), he went back to his staff and said "we're screwed." Of course, the ending of Garfield 1984 is also one of my favorites ALL TIME!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Market Juggler Bayonne Bridgemen 1981 :tongue: :tongue: :tongue::w00t:

Three come to mind, and I think they've all been mentioned: 2000 Cadets opening statement

2000 Cadets closer

2000 SCV Adagio build-up and climax

Yeah, I think 2000 was also a good year for DCI

Lots of faves that have already been said, but the one thing that gave me goosebumps every time was Madison's hornline warm-up in the 90s. When you heard those notes you KNEW something special was about to happen :tongue:

(Even better when they entered the field from the endzone in one big company front to the 50, then spun out to the fluer.... :tongue::tongue::w00t: )

Black Market Juggler Bayonne Bridgemen 1981 :tongue: :tongue: :tongue::w00t:

That was 82 and 83. "Pursuit"was the solo in 80 and 82. They both kicked.

Madison 88-the mello solo in "Malaguena" to the Spanish chords of death and the decelerando at the end, esp at Finals. I'd never heard a crowd sound like that.

Another great moment from that year that gets less love: The bass drum melody at the end of the "Hurricane" section of Star's "Porgy and Brass" show. The first time I heard it I just about plotzed.

I love hard, fast, loud performances as much as the next guy, but for me the greatest 60 seconds was the last minute of SCV 2000. Seeing that show live at Murfreesboro affected me in a way that no other performance has since. The minute containing the end of Adagio of Strings and the transition to Stained Glass was great too (too bad it had be to ruined at finals), but that ending was sublime. And then the Blue Devils came on right after that and, in my favorite 20 seconds of drum corps, showed me just what the pit has to do in order to actually get some respect from the crowd. :tongue:

As for my favorite "before my time" minute, whoever said Star of Indiana 1990 from 3:15 to 4:01 took the words (or numbers) right out of mouth. Just imagining what that was like live gives me goosebumps. The same goes for the opening of Spirit 1980.

Refresh me please about Suncoast Sound's 1985 "The Lick." Who played it and what made it so memorable? I have the DVDs but am a bit busy to throw them in at the moment. Others might be wondering as well. Thank you.

It was a full hornline, unison lick in the closer.

The last minute of '91 SCV. Park n' blow + insanity from the battery n' pit + helicopter roll = :thumbup:

The last minute of '93 Star. The raw intensity of that closer was just awesome.

This is less than a minute, but I'm a sucker for the end of the second movement of '96 Phantom. Even '08 Phantom, which I love, didn't quite have a power chord like that.

The minute containing the end of Adagio of Strings and the transition to Stained Glass was great too (too bad it had be to ruined at finals), but that ending was sublime. :thumbup:

My curiosity is piqued. How was the end of Adagio/transition to Stained Glass ruined?