Best single minute of drum corps

1991 Star of Indiana... the ending... a masterpiece.

Honorable mention to 1988 Madison Scouts... The end of Malaguena was an epic dci moment.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may seem like an unlikely choice, but I'm going to say the percussion solo to the end of the chart in the '92 Crossmen show. Marching with the Cadets that year I got to hear it played time and time again as we waited at the gate to go on after them. There's an energy that they had during the early part of tour (you know-the raw emotion before the staff expects the typical late July, early August refinements) that just gives me a warm feeling when I think back on that season - even the shows where they placed higher than we did (deservedly). Thanks to all of you that march that corps - what a gift that was.

For me, the top five are...............

End of Spirit 1978-80

End of 1982 SCV, even with the corps off tempo

End of Scouts shows 1988 and 1995

End of VK show in 1992

AWESOME! UNBELIEVABLE ENERGY!

Last minute of 1991 Star of Indiana....hands down...Zingali's Magnum Opus.

Yup, agreed. Knowing the backstory makes it all the more powerful.

While I agree with many moments listed before me, there is one I want to add.

This year I had the opportunity to stand on the track of many stadiums as one particular corps would finish their show. As the corps would come off the field and walk past me, I would see see the look in the faces of those marching members with the sweat pouring off their faces as they took off their shakos.....priceless to me and something I will never forget!

The last minute of '91 SCV. Park n' blow + insanity from the battery n' pit + helicopter roll = :sad:

The last minute of '93 Star. The raw intensity of that closer was just awesome.

This is less than a minute, but I'm a sucker for the end of the second movement of '96 Phantom. Even '08 Phantom, which I love, didn't quite have a power chord like that.

Brilliant writing by Scott Johnson with the accellerando in battery at the end.

Another personal one for me is Jim Casella's coming out party in 1997, with the SCV's drum feature. Personal backstory, I started really getting into to Drum Corps back 92/93 in the west coast, of course it was all about BD especially after 1994, SCV was a laughing stock in some of my circles during 94-95. So I disregarded SCV always going to see BD warm up in the lot. So when I went into the stands in Glendora, Ca show and the drums started "On the Waterfront" with the drum feature, my jaw dropped. In the tape I recorded I can hear my reaction to the show. Jim's arranging is brilliant, it forced me to dig deeper musically in regards to drum corps. SCV fan ever since.

Edited by Jeffe77

The first "Z" Zingali pull with the Cadets...

1991 Star Ending, epic, beautiful, nothing has come close!

1994 27th Lancers!

Priceless...memories... :sad:

If you could pick one 60 second interval of music from any show throughout history, what would you choose as the best?

WOW! Drum corps is about 90 years old and I've been around it for 55 of those years. So many great moments I don't know how anyone could pick just 60 seconds. One of my many favorites is from Crossmen 1992 from the Rain Forest (Puma) segment. That entire Mark Thurston drum break with the brass intro at the end was an amazing drum corps moment. Shout out to David Below a member of that great snare line if he is reading this.

Argh...Star of Indiana 1991 sure has received a lot of votes on this thread and the site to be unamed doesn't have any video of it. :tongue: