Best single minute of drum corps

Best impact/build up in my opinion...

CD was 1990 Star...from 3:15 to 4:01 of that show. My favorite tear your face off/horn chord/build up/throw babies on the field moment for me.

Thank you for calling this one out. I think we should create a "1990 Star of Indiana 3:15 to 4:01" appreciation society. If I could name one moment of drum corps that I would be happy to play so loud that it woud cause me to go deaf forever, it would be this.

Phil

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After retreat, George Hopkins said to some of his staff, as they're walking past our buses "Man, I really wish we could go on before them...then we'd get some crowd response too." :doh:

Well I have had the pleasure of being teched by a Cadet in '92, so I appreciate that whole approach to drum corps. Then I had the pleasure of teaching a HS marching band with Chris Harmon and some other Madison guys. Getting the crowd to stand up is always good :doh:

Thank you for calling this one out. I think we should create a "1990 Star of Indiana 3:15 to 4:01" appreciation society." If I could name one moment of drum corps that I would be happy to play so loud that it woud cause me to go deaf forever, it would be this.

Phil

Nice. I think you and I are the inaugural members of said society. I haven't heard and impact that was that FULL and POWERFUL ever. It just resonates through your soul. BTW, that appreciation society is sig worthy :doh: Going to add it here in a bit :doh:

For me, a Star of Indiana fan and admittedly biased, the endings of the 1990 and 1993 are tied for my all time favorites. :doh:

I would also join that Star of Indiana appreciation group, gladly so! :doh:

I would also join that Star of Indiana appreciation group, gladly so! :doh:

Just cut and paste my sig :doh:

But for this particular Star moment, we're talking about what I think is the end of the opener.

Winner here...

2nd place:

1997 Crossmen - horn line re-entry after drum solo to end of show (most spectacular rifle toss ever)

I had forgotten about that rifle toss - wow. Great show for the Xmen - great guard. And that guy STUCK that rifle toss. I may be exaggerating, but I think it was at least a twelve or thirteen, and it hung in the air for 30 seconds. At least that's what it felt like when I was thinking, "Crap, it would suck to drop that."

Emotion:

1) 1984 Suncoast Sound ballad ..... with the hearing impaired color guard member signing her words to the fallen at the Vietnam War Memorial. Her tears ... the applause and tears that followed.

Was she REALLY? I know Suncoast used sign language in a number of their shows (83, 84, and 88 off the top of my head), but I had never heard she herself was.

Thanks for the love. Who knew 15 years later that show would still be generating such excitement. Well, we knew we had a special show, and a special hornline on our hands.

What, we were supposed to be listening to each other? :tongue:

I really don't remember much about our finals performance....I didn't notice that the field was wet until we were getting ready for retreat and I wondered why my right knee was cold. Then, I looked down and my pants were soaking wet, from when I knelt in the middle of the opener. In the rotating company front, you never could really hear...the crowd always went nuts there....the assistant conductor was in the end zone, for a visual pulse. I'm pretty sure we could hear each other during the final push. It's not like that horn line couldn't play loud. :tongue: But, you could feel the place going bonkers, and once we cut off, the crowd gave back to us the same volume & intensity we'd given them.

I'd love to hear a recording of the semi-finals show. I know we nailed the soprano feature in semi-finals, without the one early entrance on that one syncopated note. :w00t:

I also wonder of the finals recordings from '95 are the whole reason we have amp'd pits now...somebody heard those recordings and decided that that was how things should sound.

My favorite memory of that summer was from Giants stadium. We went on right before the Cadets....a Cadets show that is one of my favorites, and a show that should get crowds out of their seats....Well, we slapped the crowd around, and the crowd apparently sat on their hands throughout the Cadets show at their home show. After retreat, George Hopkins said to some of his staff, as they're walking past our busses "Man, I really wish we could go on before them...then we'd get some crowd response too." :tongue:

Thanks for the response! Greatly appreciated. And don't worry - in 50 years, they'll still be talking about Madison 95.