Potential for decreasing attendance

Was BOA held there last fall? If anyone on the forum was there, could you comment on the acoustics?

Was not there, but I heard that it was echo-y. Also, has DCI made a decision on opening or closing the roof when finals are there? Are there rules on rain chance, or is it the decision of the directors to leave it closed or open it? Because with it closed, won't it be very noisy?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent post!

If this has happened at bigger markets, such as Orlando and KC, how do they expect to keep attendance up in Indy? I remember attending championships at the Rose Bowl in 2007 and seeing the Indy tourism ads on the Jumbotron video board at the Rose Bowl. It made me laugh. I remember one of them was an ad for the Indianapolis aquarium. It's like seeing an ad for Cleveland, Ohio, while in Paris, France, at the Eiffel Tower. Nothing against Indy or Cleveland (I grew up there), but they are not exactly big markets or tourist destinations.

I also agree that you cannot compare this to Dayton.

also places like Boston big market

Was not there, but I heard that it was echo-y. Also, has DCI made a decision on opening or closing the roof when finals are there? Are there rules on rain chance, or is it the decision of the directors to leave it closed or open it? Because with it closed, won't it be very noisy?

roof to be closed

It seems to work well for WGI in Dayton.

I kind of like going back every year (and I've been going since '86) - it's kind of like a homecoming.

I'm sure DCI will be fine in Indianapolis

Later,

Mike

Hey Mike! As for Dayton vs. Indy...i'm sure i'm about to get flamed here...but i find Dayton a more interesting place than indianapolis. In addition, DCI is during prime vacation time whereas april after easter...not so much. I like Indy...but I don't go to DCI for a vacation. No offense, but i go on vacation to get AWAY from the marching activity..not to embrace it...lol.

Well technically, Lucas is not a dome. It's got a retractable roof. I don't know to what extent that makes a difference in the acoustics. I also thought that I had read that DCI/BOA had some input into the construction of the stadium for acoustics but I can't reference that.

Was BOA held there last fall? If anyone on the forum was there, could you comment on the acoustics?

I was there with family and friends. We were on lower level at semi's and upper for finals. It sounded very muffeld and echoed quite a bit. Granted the volume for a high school marching band does not compare to drum corps but I really do not think that will change the acoustics. When we were there we all said that even a rock concert held there would be somewhat limited for enjoyment because of the way the sound reverberated. We'll have to wait and see. I think the roof should be open if weather permits.IMO.

From my understanding at the ISSMA State Championships, the judges moved after one block to a higher level and heard great. So...i'm betting if you are near the 50 in the UPPER LEVELS you will get better acoustics than the more expensive seats in the lower bowl. See....OBAMANOMICS does work! The cheper seats just might be better!!!!

and, Indy as an airport is a pain. i have to go charlotte from harrisburg to go to Indy? please. thats an inconvenience

Don't tell me, let me guess...

USAirways?

I know DCI had a special with AirTran earlier this year, but I'm no huge fan of the airline (After ValueJet folded, it turned into AirTran).

It wasn't so much that ValueJet folded. It was more the fact that they had put an airplane in the Everglades. The name change was necessary if they wanted to continue flying. Did you know they just changed the name?

See?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

roof to be closed

Do you know this for certain? Who did you hear it from? Are you just speculating?

I haven't heard anything official about roof open/closed in quite sometime, but I know when they announced DCI would be there for 10 years, they said the roof would definitely be open if weather permits. This was one of the reasons that DCI officials were so happy about there being a retractable roof. I know the field has no drainage so if there is even a chance of rain , it has to be closed.... but there is a decent chance that there will be no chance of rain (like in Indy tomorrow). If there is absolutely no rain in the forecast, why should they not open it? Please provide one reason they should not.

I have always had good experiences with AirTran...now US Airways...puh-leaze....a flying bus without the amenities. That airline has the worst service.

Do you know this for certain? Who did you hear it from? Are you just speculating?

I haven't heard anything official about roof open/closed in quite sometime, but I know when they announced DCI would be there for 10 years, they said the roof would definitely be open if weather permits. This was one of the reasons that DCI officials were so happy about there being a retractable roof. I know the field has no drainage so if there is even a chance of rain , it has to be closed.... but there is a decent chance that there will be no chance of rain (like in Indy tomorrow). If there is absolutely no rain in the forecast, why should they not open it? Please provide one reason they should not.

DCP had a thread on it months ago, maybe closer to a year ago than less, which you can search for if you want. The consensus in that thread was that, yes, it had been decided that the roof would definitely have to be closed many if not all August days. The reasoning, as I recall, was that unlike many artificial field stadiums, because Lucas Oil was designed with a pricey roof, there was another design decision made to save some coin by forgoing an expensive drainage system under the turf. What's under Lucas Oil's turf and cushioning is a layer of cement/concrete. No drainage. That means that if that field gets wet, in summer humidity, it ain't drying out for the duration of championships, and long-term dampness can damage turf fields with mold and mildew, I think.

To that, you have to add the fact that thunderstorms can pop in the summer in central Indiana with little or no warning, that it takes about 15 minutes to close the roof once the decision is made, and it takes hours to get the air conditioning working inside the stadium with the roof closed for the temperature to be comfortable.

Add it all up, and my memory is that we concluded it had to be closed. And I think either Dan Acheson or a Lucas Oil official said it would be closed for DCI for the above reasons.

Edited by Peel Paint