Potential for decreasing attendance

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCP had a thread on it months ago, maybe closer to a year ago than less, which you can search for if you want. The consensus in that thread was that, yes, it had been decided that the roof would definitely have to be closed many if not all August days. The reasoning, as I recall, was that unlike many artificial field stadiums, because Lucas Oil was designed with a pricey roof, there was another design decision made to save some coin by forgoing an expensive drainage system under the turf. What's under Lucas Oil's turf and cushioning is a layer of cement/concrete. No drainage. That means that if that field gets wet, in summer humidity, it ain't drying out for the duration of championships, and long-term dampness can damage turf fields with mold and mildew, I think.

To that, you have to add the fact that thunderstorms can pop in the summer in central Indiana with little or no warning, that it takes about 15 minutes to close the roof once the decision is made, and it takes hours to get the air conditioning working inside the stadium with the roof closed for the temperature to be comfortable.

Add it all up, and my memory is that we concluded it had to be closed. And I think either Dan Acheson or a Lucas Oil official said it would be closed for DCI for the above reasons.

I understand the whole drainage problem, but if forecasters are predicting relatively low humidity, and no chance of rain.... why have it closed? The roof was open for early season Colts games last year when the humidity was still high. I still do not understand. If they can open it for football games, why not for drum corps?

Its hard to compare one night in Dayton to a week every year in Indianapolis!

I remember going to Orlando for 3 years in a row.

Stayed at Disney, because there was SO MUCH to do, but the 3rd year came and I had to find other things to do.

Was glad when the venue changed again.

I can see most everyone doing as I am and will do for the next few years - stay at home and watch the Quarters in the local movie theater, THEN head to Indy for the Friday semis competition and just do some siteseeing on Saturday before finals. Then head home early on Sunday.

I'm sure DCI got a 'deal' keeping the venue the same for a complete decade AND moving DCI headquarters there too.

Can bet it helped DCI's bottom line!

Actually Dayton is Wednesday through to Saturday night - so it's the same as DCI - more if you stay the extra week to catch the drumlines!

Very good arguement, in regards to Madison.

Yep, and I'm guilty myself on that one, I'd love to have it in Madison every couple years or more, but that is of course because Mad town is an easy 2 hr drive.

Excellent issue being raised here. And, actually, having grown up in Indy (finally getting wise and escaping to California), I don't have to be as painfully polite about the town as a lot of the responses here... :tongue: .

As a "repeater" city, Indianapolis just never was, and still isn't, a major draw for travelers. For pretty good reason, too.

I mean, let's face it, this is a town where, as they say, "it's safe to raise a family", which is a polite way of saying ... nothing ever happens there. It's a sensory-deprivation zone. You want surprises? Go to Chicago.

God help you if you've ever been anywhere stimulating in your travels, or eaten super food, or enjoyed the company of exotic strangers, or gotten used to being swept up in the energy of a great world city...

Indy ain't it, and frankly they don't want you bringing it up, you snob.

Seven years in a row, folks. Welcome to my former town.

Nice stadium, though.

I understand the whole drainage problem, but if forecasters are predicting relatively low humidity, and no chance of rain.... why have it closed? The roof was open for early season Colts games last year when the humidity was still high. I still do not understand. If they can open it for football games, why not for drum corps?

Former Indy resident here...

Trust me, keeping the roof closed is a very very good move.

NEVER trust Indiana weather. (The air outside isn't that great anyway. Indy ain't San Francisco.)

Hey Mike! As for Dayton vs. Indy...i'm sure i'm about to get flamed here...but i find Dayton a more interesting place than indianapolis. In addition, DCI is during prime vacation time whereas april after easter...not so much. I like Indy...but I don't go to DCI for a vacation. No offense, but i go on vacation to get AWAY from the marching activity..not to embrace it...lol.

This ex-Indy guy says -- fire away! Dayton probably does beat Indy.

Mind you, don't let it go to your head if you're from Dayton. This is strictly praising through faint damnation.

(Why does the middle of our country, where it's equidistant for most drum corps fans, have to be so dad-blamed DULL?!!) :tongue:

Championships are my vacation. I have reached the point in my career that I can afford it (financially and vacation days) EVERY year and have been going for quite a few consecutive years. I do not plan to spend my vacation in the same spot for nine years. This is NOTHING against Indy, I wouldn't do it if it was in Cancun or Paris either.

Don't worry, it can be against Indy if you want it to be... :tongue:

If my finals DVD sounds like ####, I'm going to tackle the entire DCI Board of Directors, I swear. And, I'm a fat dude... I can do it.

Edited by 3rd_Star_Brigade

I agree I never picked Indiana yet alone Indianapolis as a destination I wanted to visit. Now I've only visited 1 finals outside of marching that being Invesco but I would plan to turn any championship week into a vacation, might as well if you're there. Being from CA just getting to Indy is a pain...I might just end up going there every once in a while and making it to some of the regionals instead and rotating it that way; Championships, San Antonio, Allentown and Atlanta. That way I can visit 4 different cities. I just moved back from Hawai'i to CA and aside from visiting friends I wouldn't plan on vacationing there anytime soon and I was only there for 4 yrs.

If stationary it should have just been Invesco, in my opinion Denver appears to have so much more to offer than Indy. For the extent of the contract however, any location would become stale after a while.

Edited by HPUEuph