"Happy Days Are Here Again"

I can say without hesitation that in my own personal experience the hornline that had the most gorgeous, lush, mature sound with the best tone quality, intonation and voicing would be the 1988 Blue Devils hornline.

From a musicality, uniformity and phrasing standpoint, the 1988 Blue Devils hornline was definitely one of the cleanest I've ever heard live. It was absolutely beautiful the way all horns in each section were following the same "arc" or phrasing. And it was practically impossible to find individuals poking out of the texture of the music. You could just sit back and let it wash over you.

Absolutely amazing to listen to live. It was like listening to a large professional jazz orchestra.

Every time the 1988 Blue Devils get a nod in a thread, it gets me thinking about how much power a corps placement in just one show, DCI Finals, has to profoundly affect the long-term perception of that corps' merit for that year. I believe that if the Blue Devils had won in 1988, they would probably now be remembered as one of those legendary achievements - like the shows that get listed way up high on threads titled "Greatest Drum Corps Shows of All Time". (albeit with some understandable discussion about the level of difficulty of the visual program compared to some of their competition) But they came in third.

Shows how little placement actually means. That show stands alone, on its own, on a level above. Should have won it all, simply hands down, perfect marriage of music and movement a constant kaleidescope of color and sound with non stop intensity, satisfaction and excitement.

1st or 3rd, untouchable in terms of sheer, unabashed drum corps pageantry and entertainment......

undefeated for a reason, should have stayed that way.

Geoffrey

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that...that's exactly how I see that show. A legendary achievement. There are shows that won that don't come anywhere near it in my mind. So I guess it shows how little, potentially, finals placement has to do with how fond of a show fans can be.

Yet is will never get any credit on "the countdown". One of the best shows in the history of DCI, and it would never get enough vote to be seen. I guess FN and DVDs are good for that. The extra exposure on the countdown would be welcomed!

How about 1929?

Happy Days Are Here Again - by JACK YELLEN and MILTON AGER © 1929 (Renewed) WB MUSIC CORP

+++

To the OP, nice topic. Love BD, love the '88 show, love the 2009 show.

Yes, technically it was copyrighted in 1929, but it was a major hit in 1930.

Close enough for jazz...

Yet is will never get any credit on "the countdown". One of the best shows in the history of DCI, and it would never get enough vote to be seen.

I think that was pretty much the point I was trying to make.

Any chance they can convince the folks running Lucas Oil to open the roof on finals night so they can let some balloons go? :thumbup:

I remember way back yonder, didn't have much money back then, so I had a dubbed blank cassette tape of 88 finals. I virtually eroded the magnetic material from this TDK cassette on Devils 88'. Melodic content, real virtuosic solo playing, bad ### tight forms, GE, Beautiful chicks with bad ### tans releasing balloons in the KC night sky where Okoye ran roughshod over defenses. I digress..... good feet and of course .......deadly execution,,,, Just what drum corps should still really be.

I think that was pretty much the point I was trying to make.

...and that sucks for those who haven't seen the show. There are many, many shows from the past that would please young count down viewers. If they liked SCV '89, how about SCV '88?

More artistic and just beautiful.

How about Cadets '86 '92?

How about Cavies '88 or '89?

Phantom 1987, '88. '91

BD '92 '93

SCV 1997

VK '87 VK '90

So many great shows that would not get on the countdown that are just as worthy as the championship shows that have made it.

How about 1929?

Happy Days Are Here Again - by JACK YELLEN and MILTON AGER © 1929 (Renewed) WB MUSIC CORP

+++

To the OP, nice topic. Love BD, love the '88 show, love the 2009 show.

:blink: Ooops facts are wrong. Nice try. Judy Garland made this famous in 1930 ' Happy Days Are Here Again :thumbup: