Santa Clara Vanguard...

In '84 we often sang "Simple Gifts" allcapella as we marched to the starting line, and we felt the down soft ending following the white tunic stripe over white pants, "BTTW" company front at a 45* angle in Tenderland that simply didn't stop but only got louder when the front came finally came forward was a perfect contrast to the ending chorale and bow we did. I can recall several faces in the Georgia Tech audience I made eye contact with that couldn't control their emotions they were sobbing so hard.

True, the build in the "Tenderland" company friend was incredibly intense, and didn't let up. But then, after the company front, the volume does come down into a soft ending. That's what I remember hearing on my DCI record (yes, the old LPs) and then seeing on the telecast and now my "Legacy" DVD. So it ended up being a soft ending, but one that was preceded by one of the most breathtaking builds I've ever had the privilege of experiencing in a drum corps show.

The only drawback was that I didn't get to experience it live . . . which is part of why I am so looking forward to next Sunday!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are getting killed by the Drum Judge--losing to the Bluecoats (who have a very good section)

I understand the musical reason for ending the show this way, however, you are talking about drum corps and our audiences want the big exciting ending. It would be so much more exciting and dramatic to end on the big exciting note. If you have heard them live - you can hear and feel the confusion of the audience. They get so excited and then it just is a very very tepid level of applause and everyone is saying: "That was a weired way to end it - HUH?? Why did they do that?" It's just not the reaction you want to win over the audience and judges. I'm sure anyone who has seen it in person would agree with me.

No, they wouldn't.

Some of us aren't that easily "confused", because we actually like music, listen to plenty of it, and in enough variety of speeds, volumes and everything, that reactions like this seem REEEEEEELY silly and immature for adult listeners.

Really, now, are people THAT thrown by a quiet ending? Give me a break.

(Plus, you are saying an audience has some business second-guessing Aaron Copland, instead of listening attentively. Not even gonna go there, but you know what I'm getting at.)

This one is for the audience's continuing growth, it's gorgeous, it's right, it's mature, and that is a good thing, not a bad one.

Score a big one for music that rewards an audience's intelligence, and hope the audience understands the compliment enough to give it the huge ovation it deserves. Thank you SCV!

They pulled off an upset (that they did not deserve by the way) by having the audience scream in pure excitement: "Spartacus" It was so exciting that the judges gave them the win. Blue Devils really deserved it last year.

No offense, well ok offense, but this statement is pure stupidity. The judges gave Phantom the win because overall they were the best corps on the field last year. End of story.

On to Vanguard - I love the show. It's nice to see something so true to the original and it is beautiful. The whole thing. I cannot wait to see it finals night.

No, they wouldn't.

Some of us aren't that easily "confused", because we actually like music, listen to plenty of it, and in enough variety of speeds, volumes and everything, that reactions like this seem REEEEEEELY silly and immature for adult listeners.

Really, now, are people THAT thrown by a quiet ending? Give me a break.

(Plus, you are saying an audience has some business second-guessing Aaron Copland, instead of listening attentively. Not even gonna go there, but you know what I'm getting at.)

This one is for the audience's continuing growth, it's gorgeous, it's right, it's mature, and that is a good thing, not a bad one.

Score a big one for music that rewards an audience's intelligence, and hope the audience understands the compliment enough to give it the huge ovation it deserves. Thank you SCV!

The ending isn't original. It was borrowed from Garfield 1987, a year the designer marched with the championsip corps.

The ending isn't original. It was borrowed from Garfield 1987, a year the designer marched with the championsip corps.

No, where do people come up with your "facts" Pete Weber marching with The Cavaliers. Key Poulan marched Blue Devils.

Also SCV did this years earlier then '87 Garfield.

1) Jon Vandercoff

2) Watch FAN NETWORK - 1987 Garfield exits from the back of the field also after a company front.

SCV Website:

Vanguard

Pete Weber - Visual Designer/Drill Writer

Key Poulan - Brass Arranger

Brian Mason - Percussion Arranger

Carol Abohatab - Colorguard Choreographer

Jon Vanderkolff - Visual Designer/Music Coordinator

SCV Website:

Vanguard

Pete Weber - Visual Designer/Drill Writer

Key Poulan - Brass Arranger

Brian Mason - Percussion Arranger

Carol Abohatab - Colorguard Choreographer

Jon Vanderkolff - Visual Designer/Music Coordinator

Yes, You are right, Jon did march Garfield but to say that SCV "borrowed" the idea is like saying Garfield "borrowed the idea for a down end from "83 Vanguard or SCV "borrowed" the idea from the 1968 Des Plaines Vanguard, Nobody "borrows" ideas. Do some come up with the same idea? Sure. If more then one group feels it is the best way to get the results they want for the show, then it should be done. Just think, if no one "borrowed" ideas, we'd still be watching drum corps without tuned basses, and starting on the side 1 goal line.