Santa Clara Vanguard...

I just wish they'd let the horns play the runs right during the fast portion of the 'simple gifts' portion, instead of scoring it for the mallets. If Cadets can do it in '87 with 2 valves, then.... check out their show in the last couple minutes! Not that SCV has to be just like Cadets (and btw, I love SCV's show....just adding the runs would make it that much better!)...

I agree with you. I think I heard a comment on FN that they intentionally chose to put that run on the mallets. I think it would be so much more impressive sounding in the hornline as well.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a HUGE fan of SCV's show this year.

However it does bother me that when Crown does stuff like this, its "easy", but when any other corps does stuff like this, its "challenging in a different way."

Whatever, it doesn't matter, I'm glad to see SCV back at the top! :satisfied:

It is my belief that those days are truly in the past. SCV is rounding the bend this season with the wind firmly at the corps' back - and a renewed positive energy that I (as just a casual observer) could feel a month ago.

Very cool for me to see them doing this kinda classy show with a strong artistic arc to it, have the crowd loving them - and get rewarded for their efforts also. Add in that very clear and deliberate dose of the Vanguard corps identity and I think we have one fantastic show for those in the audience who know what SCV is supposed to feel like. :satisfied:

I bet Gail is very pleased with the loyalty to the spirit of SCV this show displays.

I totally agree with your sentiments. I think Gail would be very proud. Go SCV! What a year. SCV reasserting themselves with Appalachian Spring. Cadets with West Side Story. BD with a classic jazz show. Its like we are in the 80's all over again. Such a pleasure. :tongue:

I only have a problem with one segment of the show and I truly thought it would have been rewritten by now. This is the only thing (in my mind) that is holding them back. The rest of the show is a WINNER!!!!!!!!

What part is it? And why is this affecting the Guard Scores?

About 4 minutes into the show, when the guard has an AMAZING dance segment .... Simple gifts is introduced ... guard is still dancing. Missed transition for guard to silks to introduce the new theme .... The segmentation of the drill out of the cluster pod really doesn't make sense at all. Then a 30 second slow and muddy transition for the guard to change to equipment. It's a total missed opportunity. Vanguard .... this really needs to be fixed. It's 45 seconds of your show that is box 4 at best, no matter how clean it is. The thing that shocks me is, it's all based on a design flaw. It truly is the beginning of a new movement in the show and the visual doesn't match whatsoever.

Minus that 45 seconds, this show is brilliant!!!!!!! I <3 U SCV!!!!!!! Can't wait to see the show in Toledo 2 days before Quarterfinals :satisfied:

I totally agree with you on that. I was hoping they would fix this flaw. I think it is very obvious that this is hurting their show. I LOVE the show. I also think another problem is how they end the show dancing instead of some really dramatic beautiful flags. Another problem is how they have the big finale and they are loud and exciting and the crowd is screaming and then they end on a very soft section and then they get very very tepid applause. They should take a cue from Phantom of last year. They pulled off an upset (that they did not deserve by the way) by having the audience scream in pure excitement: "Spartacus" It was so exciting that the judges gave them the win. Blue Devils really deserved it last year.

I totally agree with you on that. I was hoping they would fix this flaw. I think it is very obvious that this is hurting their show. I LOVE the show. I also think another problem is how they end the show dancing instead of some really dramatic beautiful flags. Another problem is how they have the big finale and they are loud and exciting and the crowd is screaming and then they end on a very soft section and then they get very very tepid applause. They should take a cue from Phantom of last year. They pulled off an upset (that they did not deserve by the way) by having the audience scream in pure excitement: "Spartacus" It was so exciting that the judges gave them the win. Blue Devils really deserved it last year.

I would disagree with the end. Based on their history of soft endings ... Garfields ending in 87 ........ You won't hear the ending at finals. The crowd will lull for about 10 seconds and when Vanguard hits center field, the place will erupt and you'll hear SCV ... SCV ... SCV. It's classic Vanguard and the ending needs to stay (musically) the way it is.

I would disagree with the end. Based on their history of soft endings ... Garfields ending in 87 ........ You won't hear the ending at finals. The crowd will lull for about 10 seconds and when Vanguard hits center field, the place will erupt and you'll hear SCV ... SCV ... SCV. It's classic Vanguard and the ending needs to stay (musically) the way it is.

I understand the musical reason for ending the show this way, however, you are talking about drum corps and our audiences want the big exciting ending. It would be so much more exciting and dramatic to end on the big exciting note. If you have heard them live - you can hear and feel the confusion of the audience. They get so excited and then it just is a very very tepid level of applause and everyone is saying: "That was a weired way to end it - HUH?? Why did they do that?" It's just not the reaction you want to win over the audience and judges. I'm sure anyone who has seen it in person would agree with me.

I totally respect the urge to strong ending....

here is just me thought:

1. it is a soft ending in the original composition.... that would be the end of the discussion :satisfied:

2. The big company front push is not appropriate as an ending because it is slow-paced (anybody recalling the original ending of SCV 2005?). All great strong ending are fast and furious. I just don;t think it is possible for the "Simple Gifts".

3. SCV did more soft endings than any top tier corps. 2006 and 07 were great in that regard.

4. Like Key said in the commentary, the repose after a loud company front would score well for judges.

5. To get two standing ovations.

3. SCV did more soft endings than any top tier corps. 2006 and 07 were great in that regard.

Not to mention the early to mid-'80s, when they were doing "The Red Pony" and "Tender Land" as closers. Based on what I'm hearing about this year, this ending very much harks back to those years, as well. Which reminds me: 1984's "Tender Land" is one of my all-time favorite closers; incredibly moving, and very risky back then to do a "quiet" closer. Now I'm inspired to pop in my 1984 "Legacy" DVD and re-experience that.

Edited by byline