Santa Clara Vanguard...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who don't think this show is a championship caliber drill design ... eat some Wheaties! You're wrong ... flat out WRONG.

Velocity is nowhere on the sheets. Demand is. If you try and tell me what they are doing visually is not demanding ... give me what you're smokin.

1. Field Coverage and ensemble spread

2. Integration Integration Integration

3. Ensemble balance and transitions (sans one spot)

4. Proper Staging and stacking the voices for superior sound production on the field.

5. Less is MORE ... fitting of Martha Graham .. fitting of Coplands Music ... fitting for this show

The only things they are missing are the white pants with strips and white shoes ... and the relaxed coupe`/Stage walk style marching in the slower sections of the show. I would love to see this incorporated and it's a very easy style/technique to learn.

If you think Jazz running and velocity are the only things that create demand ... there's more for you to learn about visual design.

Did anyone see the new ending in Murfeesboro?

If so, how/what is it? Do they keep the soft ending? The interview with the drum major on dci.org makes it sound like a huge dramatic change...

I didn't see it. but I know they still have a soft ending. :tongue: :tongue: :rock:

For those who don't think this show is a championship caliber drill design ... eat some Wheaties! You're wrong ... flat out WRONG.

Velocity is nowhere on the sheets. Demand is. If you try and tell me what they are doing visually is not demanding ... give me what you're smokin.

4. Proper Staging and stacking the voices for superior sound production on the field.

5. Less is MORE ... fitting of Martha Graham .. fitting of Coplands Music ... fitting for this show

The only things they are missing are the white pants with strips and white shoes ... and the relaxed coupe`/Stage walk style marching in the slower sections of the show. I would love to see this incorporated and it's a very easy style/technique to learn.

If you think Jazz running and velocity are the only things that create demand ... there's more for you to learn about visual design.

Exactly! There is no need for warp speed anything in this show. None whatsoever! The music doesn't call for it so why put it in?

SCV, Copland, a dash of Martha Graham plus loads of elegance... the perfect drum corps recipe for me.

And if they were to add the stripe and white shoes... Corpsgasm all the way!! :tongue:

Edited by skajerk

The five things you list are certainly worthy design elements, and they are used quite effectively in SCV's show. But do you honestly think that SCV's visual demand is on par with, say, Cadets?

I just wish they'd let the horns play the runs right during the fast portion of the 'simple gifts' portion, instead of scoring it for the mallets. If Cadets can do it in '87 with 2 valves, then.... check out their show in the last couple minutes! Not that SCV has to be just like Cadets (and btw, I love SCV's show....just adding the runs would make it that much better!)...

But it's not the Cadets playing it, is it? Why repeat what the Cadets have already done? If they want to rehash it they will. This is SCV's version and the closest version to the original piece I've heard anyone try. I love it the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edited by skajerk

But it's not the Cadets playing it, is it? Why repeat what the Cadets have already done? If they want to rehash it they will. This is SCV's version and the closest version to the original piece I've heard anyone try. I love it the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Hear, hear! :satisfied: