Is it a battle for second place?

As SuperSop has pointed out on a couple of threads, the current spread of 1.8 basically means that BD is ahead by a couple of tenths in (almost) all the captions. So the gap can close, and it probably will close as HNC, Crown, SCV and Cavaliers start convincing the judges that they belong on the other side of that spread in selected captions.

I don't know that the spread will close enough to cost BD a ring, but they don't look to me like a corps that's going to sweep all the captions in Indy.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I think a few other Corps ( including your Cadets ) have a more demanding overall drill. That said, the Cadets Guard ( just for one example ) are doing equipment work and other guard visual moves that are more demanding than anybody else in my opinion. Plus, Drum Corps is still about execution, and the Blue Devils are executing the heck out of this year's show. I do think the point spread gap with these other Corps and BD is a bit perplexing though. But they're bound to close as we get closer to Finals. I pretty sure of that.

Right now, the 2009 Title is the Blue Devils to lose it seems. But lest we forget, they were caught by a tenth at Finals last year.

Good points!

It's hard to say what will happen, the judges sure seem to love this show. This really reminds me of '02 when the Cavaliers were way out front all season. Every time it seemed someone was closing the gap (different judges at different shows) they 2 pointed the field at a major regional.

When you have dominance in most every caption two weeks out, you look like a lock... and you usually are, in DCI history. Last year was a most unusual surge by Phantom in another year when BD looked like the for-sure winner two weeks out. So you can't say it's over. But an objective oddsmaker, knowing the way things usually go in DCI, would have to say BD will probably win, maybe a 2-1 or 3-1 favorite at this point, though yeah, sure, it is possible one of the other top five will yet catch fire and pull it out.

When you have dominance in most every caption two weeks out, you look like a lock... and you usually are, in DCI history. Last year was a most unusual surge by Phantom in another year when BD looked like the for-sure winner two weeks out. So you can't say it's over. But an objective oddsmaker, knowing the way things usually go in DCI, would have to say BD will probably win, maybe a 2-1 or 3-1 favorite at this point, though yeah, sure, it is possible one of the other top five will yet catch fire and pull it out.

If the Blue Devils win the Semi's, even by the smallest of margins, I think it unlikely the judges at Finals, will have the Blue Devils be beaten 2 years in a row on Final's night to lose the Title. Don't ask me why I have this feeling, because I can't explain it... I just do. So, in my opinion, if a Corps wants to take out the Blue Devils they had better take them out in the Quarters or Semi's at Indy, because I just don't see it happening at Finals, particulartly after it happened to the Blue Devils last year. But then again, who knows.

Like 1988? :satisfied:

Yea, BD will probably win, but nothing is a forgone conclusion.

Edited by jjeffeory

I like the Cavaliers in the 2nd position, but don't count out SCV. With the new ending, and possibly a few more tricks up their sleeves, they are quite close to second. Crown had a "mid-season" lull, but I think they are back on track. The Cadets show bores me. Don't get me wrong, they play well, and I like their old-school approach again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up in 5th.

the gap deftely won't stay this large. I think bd show is about as good as its going to get, meaning I dontthink their score will go up very much from where it is. and they didn't even win evey caption last night which to me means that leaves the door open for crown and cadets to gain ground on the devils. whether the pass them I don't kno will happen but I think they will def close the gap and by finals night the two of them will be in 2nd and 3rd ahead of cavies

I think it will, but I don't see much of a change to what's been going on placement-wise. I'm also waiting on the usual HNC late season surge. As much as I don't like Cavies show this year, the judges seem to like whats going on. The only corps that I believe can catch Cavies is HNC...so I have two views:

View 1: If a late season surge from HNC can catch Cavies, there will be a battle for 2nd.

View 2: If HNC can't catch Cavies, 3rd place will be the slot to watch.

The next 2 weeks will be interesting...

HNC may surge, but there is still Crown there so dont leave them outta the fight, um yeah I say cavies have a reallly good chance of winning, but im scared my boys (crown) wont pull through this season :satisfied: but im hoping cavies pull throught, BD's have actually surprised me but I think they will get a 2nd this year.