What is or was your favorite stadium to perform in?

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING could come close to the DREAM in Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City.

Mike, I agree that the DREAM @ Roosevelt Stadium was like no other show. (one of my all time favorites shows) Are you saying that Roosevelt Stadium is your favorite stadium to perform in? (just askin' :blink: )

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WooHoo!!

Having lived across the street from Manning Bowl as a kid I wonder how many time you and I were there and I never knew it! :blink:

Yeah. Lynn. No question. Would have loved to march Roosevelt field in the rain, though.

Puppet

Earlier in my career, I might have said Allentown, but lately I find myself thinking about perfoming at Dietz Stadium in Kingston, NY. The turf is great, the stands are close to the field (even with the track), the crowd is always very receptive, and the area where the buses are parked lets the corps all get friendly.

As from the fan's perspective, I enjoy that place too.

Depending on how you look at it, this could be a very difficult question to answer. During my drum corps career I have performed in too many venues to count. Baseball games, Football games, Exhibitions, Competitions, Championships of all kinds, all together in front of millions of people, in person and in the media. I have my favorite memories of certain places, usually involving one big show or another; opening Giants Stadium, NFL Playoff Games, the National Dream Contest, Barnum Festival, American Legion Nationals, DCA Championships; I could go on and on, but my favorite stadium memories are not just about the venue.

You got on the bus and headed off to a small town, usually in upstate New York or somewhere outside of the tri-state area. You don't expect a large crowd because you had to look up the location on a map and it was a "small dot". You get there and the local comittee takes you to your practice site which is the most picturesque facility you've ever seen. You don't even want to make noise for fear of ruining the mood. After practice and dinner, the committee opens up your practice facility for showers and dressing. Refreshed and ready, you load up and head off to the stadium.

Meanwhile, there is a little voice in your head asking you, Why does a school with 900 students have a stadium that seats 10,000 ? When you get to the stadium that question is answered. You didn't realize that this show is a major event and everyone for 30 miles in every direction is there. Not only is the stands full, but the hills all around the field are covered with people. Talk about a serious adrenelin rush. These people came to see a show that might be a highlight of their summer. Your performance now takes on a new roll above being just a contest. What a great feeling.

One of my favorite memories involves one of these shows. I don't even remember where or when, but the conversation was perfect. A group of guys sitting on a rock at the back of a stadium waiting for retreat. It was still about 90 degrees at 11 pm and we were wiped out. Myself and Dan Dayman from Cabs, Red Harrison from Sky, Alan Smythe from Cru, Michele from Les Dips, Doug from Hurcs and a few others. Red hits me on the arm and asks; "What the hell are we doing here ? we should be sitting on a sailboat on the Long Island Sound drinking a beer !" "Why do we beat the crap out of ourselves every week ?" Everyone laughed for a minute, looked around at the crowd, cheering because retreat had just been announced, we all smiled, got up and said at the same time, "See you next week !" and went back to our formations. We wouldn't trade those nights for anything. It was never about the venues, It was about the memories

Thanks Dave.... :blink:

Though I sometimes forget which stadium we were in it's always easy to remember the memories we shared at ALL of them! :huh:

hmmm.

1) lackawanna

2) hershey

3) Cumberland

4) JFK in Bridgeport

1,987,436,039,734....Frontier Field

Yeah. Lynn. No question.

I've often wonder how many folks that Donna and I have met were at Manning Bowl for the same shows over the years... :huh:

Would have loved to march Roosevelt field in the rain, though.

Puppet

We (Sun) did... :blink: (never mattered, dust that you choked on or rain and mud that you slipped and slid in... ALWAYS a great time!)

1979 the "Wet DREAM"

1979_wet_dream_Mallets_Tymps.jpg

direct link

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y279/Sund...llets_Tymps.jpg

I loved the Bridgemen at this one... LOL :tongue:

1979 'Dream' Bridgemen

1979DreamBridgemen1.jpg

1. Allentown's J. Birney Crum

2. Cumberland, Md.

3. Chambersburg, Pa.