Serious question - I'm not trolling

LOL, some day a few of of members who do parades might get old....

But they are only in their mid-70s or so..... :bleah:

I think we are planning on doing our Halloween parades at 160 bpm and marching backwards! (Hmmm, maybe that will make the hills easier :tongue: )

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been marching Drum corps since 1967 and have been with Bucs for the last 5 years. I have 2 screws in mt right big toe, and an Cobalt left knee. I spend 5-6 nights a week in the gym, lifting weights and doing cardio. If you want to survive Bucs drill(thanks Bobby), the most important is the cardio. The horn playing will come back by doing. It forces me to stay fit.

My son and his fiancee both march at Bucs with me, and my daughter marched last summer, too.

I'm 55.

Walter Street

and you march better than Adam!

:tongue:

i'm 40. i play in an alumni corps that does one gig a year, with the drums on stands

I'm 56 and do Alumni corps. Granted, not the same as a whole day on the practice field, but none-the-less demanding on a hot day, playing up hills and such. I've got plenty of gas left in the tank, even at the end of the longest parades.

However, I think you'll find, no matter which corps you choose to march with, open arms welcoming you and all the help and support you might need.

Go for it, someday you WILL be too old.

Ha ha....I can't agree more. It's nice to be in a place that feels like family.

I was in my 40's when I was marching in the mello line at Bushwackers.

I probably shouldn't have stopped marching, because I got fat.

Marching can certainly help keep you young. Being 40 can be more of a reason to march than a reason not to march.

Every DCA corps has people of all ages. You will be made to feel welcome no matter where you go. You can bet that everybody who has responded here wants you to join their favorite corps.

I hope you decide to join my favorite corps!

Jeff Schrimmer

GO FOR IT!!! Your still young at 40 man. You won't regret it if you try it.

Hi,

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Old age and treachery will trump youth and inexperience every time. Seriously, I just caught up with this thread and as you have already observed, the feedback has been overwhelmingly in favor of doing it. I have dealt with low back issues for decades and had my right knee scoped (torn medial meniscus) at age 46. At age 50 I marched a full field season in DCA and did fine. Disclaimer - I have always been physically active. I walk around three miles almost every day and hit the gym regularly. If you are in decent shape, you will do OK (you will be in MUCH better shape by Labor Day). If you are not in such good shape now, you have a new motivation to lose weight and get in better condition. One of my dear departed friends, Alan Winslow, went back to marching with Empire Statesmen at an "advanced" age (not sure just how old), and he shared with me that he lost 30 pounds that summer! Not only will people not call you gramps, but they will respect what you are doing.

If it inspires you to be a part of it then by all means GO FOR IT! while you have the motivation and ability to even try.

There are a few DCA corps that are reachable (driving wise) if you are serious about getting back onto a field.

Good Luck & let us know what happens come Nov! :bigsmile:

Edited by classicslv