Serious question - I'm not trolling

Ok let's use this opportunity to ask the question

who will be the oldest COMPETING at DCA championships? Brass, Percussion or "working" guard - no offense A sections

After counting all my fingers and toes, I figured out that Tom Meek (current Brigadier - long time Crusader) is around 67 years old and has marched every season since joining Cru in Sept. of 66 - that means this will be his 43rd championship all on brass...

anyone top that?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who will be the oldest COMPETING at DCA championships? Brass, Percussion or "working" guard - no offense A sections

After counting all my fingers and toes, I figured out that Tom Meek (current Brigadier - long time Crusader) is around 67 years old and has marched every season since joining Cru in Sept. of 66 - that means this will be his 43rd championship all on brass...

anyone top that?

Tom Brady (not the one with Gisele) age 69 - soprano CT Hurricanes. Played solos in the golden years ('60s) Still hanging. Imagine he can whip a football around pretty well too.

Know of a pretty big gap between Finals appearances. Jim Wolfe played sop for Westshoremen and his last appearance for us was 1977 or 1978. In 2003(?) he was playing sop for Carolina Gold and make Finals. I harrassed him about the gap and his quote was "Placed higher with Gold that I ever did with Westshore". :worthy: Jim should have been late 40s at the time....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Hi,

First off, I was never in DCI. I was in the Army and by the time I got out I had aged out. So I did college band and high school, of course. I never even looked at DCA because of the comment of one person that was in DCA, "It's just an excuse to drink on the weekends." I'm about two hours away from Reading. I really miss doing something with brass.

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Anyways, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Appreciate any comments and I won't be offended in the least if you tell me I'm too old. ;-)

--------------------------------

Just go for it! :-) Good luck to you!

anyone top that?

Like any other corps in DCA, Cabs have there share of older gen's marching. The alumni...forget it we have guys from the every era of the the Cabs still hanging in there. 63 years worth. The competition corps this season we were blessed with some very talented rookies this season. Of which 3 men from Canada, Rene' Lesuire 63, Arcade Lator 59, Bob Doyle, 55. All doing a fine job. Andre Thibult is another from Canada who has been an active member with the Cabs since 1996 I believe he is 57. Can't forget Mike (DOC) Risley he is also 62. These gentlemen are all in the brass line of the competing corps and pretty much make the youngin work for the dinner every weekend!

Edited by JKatzmellophone

Like any other corps in DCA, Cabs have there share of older gen's marching. The alumni...forget it we have guys from the every era of the the Cabs still hanging in there. 63 years worth. The competition corps this season we were blessed with some very talented rookies this season. Of which 3 men from Canada, Rene' Lesuire 63, Arcade Lator 59, Bob Doyle, 55. All doing a fine job. Andre Thibult is another from Canada who has been an active member with the Cabs since 1996 I believe he is 57. Can't forget Mike (DOC) Risley he is also 62. These gentlemen are all in the brass line of the competing corps and pretty much make the youngin work for the dinner every weekend!

Geez Josh - don't push me along - I'm just a youthful 61 not 62. Anyway, the point is, if you are in shape physically, you can do it. I marched Muchachos in the 60's, quit to do career and family, then returned to march Cabs in '03 at 55 years young. Yes, it was a struggle, but it was one of the best decisions of my life. The youngsters may play with the age thing, but it's all in fun. As everyone said _ GO FOR IT. No harm in trying.

Mike (DOC) Risley

Ask Walt Street. That guy plays and marches like a bad ###.

I have been marching Drum corps since 1967 and have been with Bucs for the last 5 years. I have 2 screws in mt right big toe, and an Cobalt left knee. I spend 5-6 nights a week in the gym, lifting weights and doing cardio. If you want to survive Bucs drill(thanks Bobby), the most important is the cardio. The horn playing will come back by doing. It forces me to stay fit.

My son and his fiancee both march at Bucs with me, and my daughter marched last summer, too.

I'm 55.

Walter Street

Edited by bandmanwalt

Walt,

I think you should introduce yourself this way from now on.

See you Friday,

I'm Dan McGrogan and I'm 39.

Young pup!