Serious question - I'm not trolling

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Age is irrelevant as long as you are in shape. I'm not in great shape but i'm surviving.

I fully agree with this :thumbup:

Wow..... reading this thread, it hit me that I retired from marching at age 24.

Slacker. :sigh:

Fran

I agree Fran.. :sigh:

(not the slacker part... the WOW part :thumbup: )

I was "forced" out at 32...

(note to self, N E V E R sleep and drive in Bridgeport. :worthy: )

Hi,

First off, I was never in DCI. I was in the Army and by the time I got out I had aged out. So I did college band and high school, of course. I never even looked at DCA because of the comment of one person that was in DCA, "It's just an excuse to drink on the weekends." I'm about two hours away from Reading. I really miss doing something with brass.

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Anyways, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Appreciate any comments and I won't be offended in the least if you tell me I'm too old. ;-)

40 is not too old (said the 46 year old trumpet player LOL)

Wow..... reading this thread, it hit me that I retired from marching at age 24.

Slacker. :thumbup:

Fran

LMAO.... And I thought I was nuts :thumbup: for wanting to start doing parades again at 45+.

Hitting 52 in a few weeks and amazed that you folks that have been around more than me not only can do it physically but can balance life around a competing schedule. :worthy:

Especially that balance part... :sigh::sigh:

I guess it's time for me to weigh in on this topic. Shen Sound just finished a Friday thru Sunday practice marathon (24+ hours in the hot sun). You are never too old. I am 63 and march next to a rookie who is 13 years old. I can not keep up with the rookies but I do know how to pace myself so that at the end of the day I am still standing. I resist all attempts to turn me into a pit lizard.

I guess it's time for me to weigh in on this topic. Shen Sound just finished a Friday thru Sunday practice marathon (24+ hours in the hot sun). You are never too old. I am 63 and march next to a rookie who is 13 years old. I can not keep up with the rookies but I do know how to pace myself so that at the end of the day I am still standing. I resist all attempts to turn me into a pit lizard.

No one could force me to be a "pit lizard" if marching tymps were an option. THAT IS THE INSTRUMENT I LOVE. Because I don't want to play anything else I don't have a choice. You want hot sun come down to Florida and play for SD....I'd prefer to play in a freezer, but that's also not an option for me right now. No..I would never keep up with the young folks, but if I took care of myself the way I had to, I think I could still march. Getting enough sleep and eating right are two important factors that tend to get thrown by the wayside when we do drum corps, and things that matter more when we're older.

I was 44 soon to be 45 in 1999. Picked up a horn for the first time since 1972. After 10 years with the Cabs competing corps I had to stop playing with the Cabs because I moved a thousand miles away. Do it, you will not regret it. I would still be on the competing field if I could. I have said this before on DCP. Competing in DCA KEEPS me young. Being with great performers, teachers, competitors surely takes away the 9 - 5 grind of the work week. Jump in - and enjoy! You won't regret it.

PS I am still playing with the Alumni ;) and the Cabs have a few older than 60 in the competing corps, in fact a few of them drive in from Canada!