Serious question - I'm not trolling

Hi,

First off, I was never in DCI. I was in the Army and by the time I got out I had aged out. So I did college band and high school, of course. I never even looked at DCA because of the comment of one person that was in DCA, "It's just an excuse to drink on the weekends." I'm about two hours away from Reading. I really miss doing something with brass.

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Anyways, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Appreciate any comments and I won't be offended in the least if you tell me I'm too old. ;-)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try a non-competing corps (aka-Alumni) while you're trying to get your corps in shape.

You'll never know unless you try. We have a good number of brass players in their forties -- some have been in drum corps a long time and others were drum corps rookies in their 40s. And two such rookies who have played euphonium come to mind immediately. I was a drum corps rookie at 35, and I hadn't played a horn in 15 years, and did just fine. Was it easy? Heck no. Would it have been easier if I were in better shape when I did it? Heck yes. Did I push myself harder than I ever thought possible? Absolutely. And I had the time of my life doing it.

We have some members in the corps who might look like gramps but they march circles around people less than half their age!

All I can suggest is that you do your best to be good physical shape and have your chops as good as you can have them, and then show up ready to learn, ready to work and ready to have a blast. And I think this advice would hold true for any corps you're considering joining, be it in Reading or anywhere else.

The Sunday after Thanksgiving, November 29, is our annual Membership Day open house. Look forward to seeing you there! Feel free to email membership@readingbuccaneers.org with any other questions you may have.

Bucs have a guy in his 50's out there, new knee and all. Walt Street. Hell, he marches better than his kid!

Hi,

First off, I was never in DCI. I was in the Army and by the time I got out I had aged out. So I did college band and high school, of course. I never even looked at DCA because of the comment of one person that was in DCA, "It's just an excuse to drink on the weekends." I'm about two hours away from Reading. I really miss doing something with brass.

Here's the question, is forty too old? I can pick up a euphonium, woodshed, get the chops back and audition in a year. But am I going to look like "gramps"?

Anyways, just wanted to hear your thoughts. Appreciate any comments and I won't be offended in the least if you tell me I'm too old. ;-)

If I was that close and only fourty I'd jump at it. One or two rehearsals will let you know wheather it's a YES or a NO-GO. You may surprise yourself.

The Sunday after Thanksgiving, November 29, is our annual Membership Day open house. Look forward to seeing you there! Feel free to email membership@readingbuccaneers.org with any other questions you may have.

I think that's a sign. It's my birthday. ;)

Hi,

Cybersnyder,

We have a couple people show up every year at our "membership day" with near identical life stories and history as yourself. Each year we wind up with at least one of them marching in the corps and most importantly, their smiling faces are in the corps photo taken at championships. That's the goal!!

The gramps look is in, in the Reading hornline. We have a number of "over 40's" marching with us and it all depends on your desire to march and how you've treated your body for the last 20 years. Let's be honest....if you consider yourself a "couch potato" or a "walking heart attack that hasn't yet happenned" then our corps is probably not for you. If you're in decent shape for a person of your age and WANT this, our staff will take care of the rest.

Good luck in your endeavors and have a great time marching with whichever corps you choose!

Jerry

PS....Funny, I saw after I posted that our P.R. guru Tom Moore was posting at about the same time. No, we didn't script our replies.....it's what we believe!

Edited by jware

I think that's a sign. It's my birthday. ;)

WOW !! Talk about coincidences.....that's the same day we board a ship to the Carribean. (O.K.....so that doesn't quite fit......my bad...) I'll be thinking about you though. :blink:

Geez, what's the big deal about being 40 :blink: ? !

I'm (let's just say less than ten years) older than that, and I still hope to someday get another year or two on the field, competing, some day.

I dont remember exactly, but I THINK Cabs have a 60-plus dude in the hornline, alongside the teenagers.

Geez, what's the big deal about being 40 :blink: ? !

The day I realized that I was getting old was when I was at one of my daughter's cheerleading competition and the Maryland Terps competition sqaud was there doing an exhibition. Of course, I was thinking "Oh yeah. College cheerleaders." They got on stage and I thought they looked so young. I realized I was a perv, and an old man. ;-)