Housing and DCIs Current Model

I find it stunning that there are units who don't have housing for finals! Wasn't the availability of housing sites close to the stadium one of the primary selling points about locking finals into Indy for 10 yrs? It seems that the availability of schools for housing continues to dwindle for many reasons including liability concerns, field damage, staffing costs, and some schools who are just closing everything off-season to save money. The whole DCI model is extremely dependent on corps finding 30-50 practice sites for every single corps. What happens if the availability drops just enough to keep 5% of the corps from finding sites?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's going to be an issue. One of the reasons DCA moved away from Scranton before the stadium was bought and changed to grass was a lack of housing....and that wasnt counting the gyms needed for housing DCI corps. just getting into schools to rehearse was an issue

This issue bothers me along the same line that not having musical rights for the DVDs does. Personally I think there are no excuses for any of this. Corps should ALWAYS have housing (and at least one back up plan) for Finals and really for every show as well as musical rights should be TAKEN CARE OF. I know that's a little OT there but stuff like this bothers me. FIGURE IT OUT DCI!

Between corps that do not take care of their facilities to schools that go through renovations during the summer and/or get closed up to save $$$ or those who are too new to let anything happen to them we are seeing an incredible amount of housing not being available. Not to even mention those corps who look the other way at some of the non-adult like events that go on or administrations that never even knew anything was going on AT their school because of a contact that thought it was ok to let a corps come in and leave without anyone ever knowing about it. It gets even worse with schools going to year round schedules who simply cannot offer up their space because of the readiness of the building to coincide with school starting back!

Welcome to the new reality in Drum Corps.

I find it interesting that little towns like Marion Ohio and Butler PA could house well over 60 corps for the US Open and American International year after year with out any housing problems, but a city the size of Indy has issues. I know in our day we were told to always leave the schools cleaner than when we got there, maybe the corps of today don't follow those type of rules.

I find it interesting that little towns like Marion Ohio and Butler PA could house well over 60 corps for the US Open and American International year after year with out any housing problems, but a city the size of Indy has issues. I know in our day we were told to always leave the schools cleaner than when we got there, maybe the corps of today don't follow those type of rules.

I don't think it is in any corps' policy to "leave the housing site worse than when we found it." Probably happens sometimes though. I know my corps, and I'm sure all corps, have people assigned to clean up during EPL.

Housing was one iof the reasons, IMHO, that California got just the one year for finals. Schools in California are sooooo uptight about "someone using their facilities", even though they are public facilities, that orgainzations don't even ask.

If housing was truly one of the considerations for finals being in Indy for 10 years, and it's fallen apart, then shame on DCI. If, on the other hand, it wasn;t a consideration, then shame on DCI again. Having finals at the same place form many years has the ability for that organization (DCI) to "wear out their welcome". And we're only in the second year of this (although last year it got moved to Bloomington. I dread the attitude of Indy schools in year 7 or 8 of this "partnership".

A school pulling out on a corps is hardly DCI's fault....not EVERYTHING negative in our activity is the fault of the ruling body.

BD lost one of it's housing sites this year before they even got into the state....that's the fault of DCI or BD HOW exactly?

Housing always has and always will be an issue, regardless of WHERE events are held. I heard enough horrors stories about 83in Miami that I was VERY glad DCI moved to Atlanta for 84.

Corps should ALWAYS have housing (and at least one back up plan) for Finals and really for every show

I don't believe that you have considered the implications of such a task.

Edited by mingusmonk