Favorite Cadets Rendition of

What's your fav?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. What's your fav?

• 1984 - West Side Story - 98.00 - 1st
    • 1994 - West Side Story: Hot & Cool To Go - 97.7 - 2nd
    • 2009 - West Side Story: Conflict & Resolution - ? - ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1984- Why? One name... Barbara Moroney.

* 09 is OK, but it just feels lacking. I want to love this show so much, but it's not really doing much for me. It feels like a show that doesn't quite know what it wants to be: not exactly a straight up WSS show, but not exactly some meaningful high concept type show either. The arranging seems pretty manic at times also. It does have some nice moments, and I'm hoping that the tweaks they add the final few weeks make the show work real well.

I agree with you that there is something lacking in the 09 version. I have listened to the show over and over again and I cannot figure out what it is. I really like the drill etc. but something about the music just doesn't have that championship feel. When I first saw them I told my wife that they would win, but something is missing. Does anyone else feel this way? Can anyone enlighten us what it might be because I cannot figure out what it is.

I agree with you that there is something lacking in the 09 version. I have listened to the show over and over again and I cannot figure out what it is. I really like the drill etc. but something about the music just doesn't have that championship feel. When I first saw them I told my wife that they would win, but something is missing. Does anyone else feel this way? Can anyone enlighten us what it might be because I cannot figure out what it is.

One problem I have with '09 is the jump into America near the start is just.....abrupt and weird. Ruins my relationship to the developing theme.

Many shows in the past used "quotes" in the closer from tunes they had developed earlier in the show. I LOVE these as they're a brilliant emotional callback to earlier in the show - a classic is the "Maria, Maria, Maria" in the mellos at the end of '84 - calling back to the Maria number in the show. This is self-contained, a newcomer could hear this and understand it.

In more recent years, the quote seems to getting....not overused.....but used without earning it. Cadets '09, to me, sounds like they're sticking in America early on so they can quote it at the end. This kinda requires some knowledge of WSS and a newcomer might not get where these melodies are coming from.

I DO like this years show....really!

I think it might be the way Bocook arranged the music. A bit more of a show and tell style with the conflict and resolution elements working in and out of each other. To me, though, it's perfect.

I think the show is ready for a title and is championship worthy. It has title written all over it if you ask me. What I like most is that it's a new kind of WSS voice, not what we typically get. And despite the often-cited opinion that it's contains too much demand for the sake of demand, I actually think the construction is really sound. WSS is quite demanding music, but there is a lot of melody in the Cadets show. A LOT of melody, and good builds and contrasts. If they fine tune the dynamics and clean, I can see them winning. They are probably the only corps that can take down BD, and that will be quite difficult. SCV, Cavaliers, and Crown will certainly make this interesting, and all have great shows. But Cadets really have the goods.

I think it might be the way Bocook arranged the music. A bit more of a show and tell style with the conflict and resolution elements working in and out of each other. To me, though, it's perfect.

I think the show is ready for a title and is championship worthy. It has title written all over it if you ask me. What I like most is that it's a new kind of WSS voice, not what we typically get. And despite the often-cited opinion that it's contains too much demand for the sake of demand, I actually think the construction is really sound. WSS is quite demanding music, but there is a lot of melody in the Cadets show. A LOT of melody, and good builds and contrasts. If they fine tune the dynamics and clean, I can see them winning. They are probably the only corps that can take down BD, and that will be quite difficult. SCV, Cavaliers, and Crown will certainly make this interesting, and all have great shows. But Cadets really have the goods.

to my knoweledge its based off of a type of gospel music arrangement that adds some interesting style to the show.

90 is one of my favorite Cadets shows of all time, I think the descending z-pull is one of the greatest moments ever! :bigsmile:

TOTALLY agree about the z-pull move; I LOVE the whole ending/reprise that year, and would have loved to have seen that live!

One problem I have with '09 is the jump into America near the start is just.....abrupt and weird. Ruins my relationship to the developing theme.

I agree. The opener arrangement just doesn't sit right for me, particularly the ending. It's going along fine, and then they throw a couple of quotes into the last push of the opener, and it just feels too forced. It's like the tune is developing throughout the first couple of minutes, and then the last 20 seconds the arranger through a whole bunch of other popular WSS tunes in to try to force a wow moment or something.

It might just be me, and my critical tendencies comparing this to their past WSS versions which I really like. But after the last 20 or so seconds of their opener turn me off, it takes too long for me to get back into the rest of their show. I like the I Had A Love/A Boy Like That, but Cool feels like it's missing something (though I appreciate that it's very true to the original).

Cool
with Barbara Moroney.

Thanks for posting this. Some timeless words of wisdom here from a young women back then that today is between 42-46 years old.

She did an outstanding job in all her mellophone solos in 1984 with the Cadets.

Edited by BRASSO