Drum Corps in 3D?

To give some of you some explanations and let one of you know the reason behind it.

#1 - The video was shot and edited in HD delivered in flash - looks 10X better on a large monitor with HD. These images are highly compressed. The downloadable file is an SD file, still highly compressed. The 3D that will be on the corps tour video's will be AppleTV format HD video files 1280X720 as long as the downconversion to 24 frames per second works like it should. If that doesn't happen they will be formatted in the quasi HD resolution of 960X540 for AppleTV.

#2 - This video was shot in parallel, which means that the cameras are parallel to each other. Which also means that the videos you have are not always perfectly converged. We wanted to get this video out there very quickly so we opted for a quick converge to the middle of the field for all shots. We are in the process of converging each and every frame of the performances to maximize the depth and scale of the video. For example in the video we do a slow pan across the Vanguard and one member is very close to the camera, the convergence is set to the middle of the field so even with glasses he has a ghost next to him. We are working on fixing those things right now.

#3 - I think someone has mentioned it earlier, your glass color will affect your ability to see the image as we are. Which is why the tour videos will come with color matched 3D glasses to maximize the experience.

#4 - for GofanGo - Box 5 has been shooting with HD since 2005 and using tripods longer than that. As far as the Tom Blair comment, nobody replaces Tom Blair or even wants to. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Tom and take every opportunity to learn from him and love our conversations about video (I like the other ones too) as he is a wealth of knowledge and to be honest a real cool guy.

Why did we do it?

Because we thought it would be a cool thing. When you watch it in 3D-HD it literally feels like you are standing where I was during the shooting. Its nothing more than wanting to see if we could do it and make a little snippet on our tour videos. It will be like all the other extras on the DVD's.

As far as those people that say anaglyph (red/blue or red/green) is dead and polarization is the only way. Keep in mind there isn't a way to get polarized images in the home unless you own a 3D projector or TV which is VERY few people. Coraline, the latest 3D movie to be released on BluRay is red/green. Everything released on disc is anaglyph as it is the only way to deliver 3D to the home right now, which is why we chose this route instead of polarization.

I hope that helps.

Tim

Edited by Robin80

#4 - for GofanGo - Box 5 has been shooting with HD since 2005 and using tripods longer than that. As far as the Tom Blair comment, nobody replaces Tom Blair or even wants to. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Tom and take every opportunity to learn from him and love our conversations about video (I like the other ones too) as he is a wealth of knowledge and to be honest a real cool guy.

Why did we do it?

Because we thought it would be a cool thing.

It is what it is,

bando.

• 1 year later...

I just got an LED TV that's 3D ready...480Hz.

Popped in my 2010 DCI blurays for the 1st time....and just wow. Having it on full 480Hz makes motion pictures look weird, but it's AMAZING for real-life/documentary stuff.

Seriously, it's closer to being there than I would have ever thought possible.

I think 3D might indeed be something worth exploring in a few years for DCI.

• Like 1

Whats with all this new technology?

I always thought that drum corps was in 3D. :tongue:

(Its been that way for me since '76.)

• Like 1

As far as I know, this is not possible. In order to see a 3D image (with today's 3D technology), you have to have 3D glasses with polarized lenses in them AND a way to project that 3D image properly.

And two eyes that work just right so you have really good depth perception. If you have vision problems in one eye or an eye is slighty crossed or wall eyed (like me) yer screwed.

Anyone want a book of Civil War era stereo (old term for 3D).....

And two eyes that work just right so you have really good depth perception. If you have vision problems in one eye or an eye is slighty crossed or wall eyed (like me) yer screwed.

This is so true. My husband, who is albino, has vision issues that are not correctable. 3D is a total waste of his time (and money). I hope film-makers, etc. keep people like you and my husband in mind, Jim.

This is so true. My husband, who is albino, has vision issues that are not correctable. 3D is a total waste of his time (and money). I hope film-makers, etc. keep people like you and my husband in mind, Jim.

As long as there is non 3D version of 3D movies, guess there's hope Terri. Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone with this on DCP.

LOL, he might appreciate this one. Had a depth test at work and scored around 33% so tester said that proved I had some DP. Then I reminded him that the test was telling which of three items was closer than the others. And law of averages meant I'd guess right 33.3333333333% of the time. (He wasn't too happy after that.)

Sounds like a great idea that will only improve with technology.

SCV's 2009 tour DVD came with a pair of 3D glasses. One could watch a 3D version of Ballet for Martha, the finals performance. It was pretty cool...... if you wore the glasses just so, the effect gave a real feeling of being on the field right in the action. I think it's a really fun concept, and worth exploring further.