Allentown - Day 2

By the way I also predicted this would be put into the show. If anyone knows how to searcH For a topic you created I can find it!

You realize they didn't actually add this, he was being sarcastic

Edited by ohwiseone

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am in CA and i just got home. im looking for scores? does anyone know them or where i can find them ? thank you :)

valerie redmond

Why does BD, Cavies and Cadets win consistently? Because they hire the absolute best staff you can get and retain them at all costs long term. It's called how to run a top level business. You get the best and keep them happy so they stay. And you learn how to work through the personality difficulties because that's how great businesses are run and talent outweighs ego.

Those three corps are consistently successful because they breed their own staff.

With the Cavaliers, the guard staff is made up of entirely Cavalier FMMs.

The visual staff is as well (including the drill writer, Michael Gaines).

In 2001, the corps brought on a new brass staff full of guys who had never taught a corps hornline before. The majority of the original brass staff is still involved somewhat in some capacity or another, and the caption head is still as involved as ever. But each year, as kids age-out, 1-2 more are added to the brass staff. So there are now guys teaching who aged out in '02, and also guys who aged out last year. Point being, the knowledge has been spread around, and the corps isn't dependent on one single person for the well-being of the caption.

Percussion changed the year after I aged out (05), but Bret Kuhn (the former caption head) marched with the corps. I don't know much about the new staff, but I know that Cavalier staff have been retained and I assume (just like in 2001 with the brass) that a Cavalier percussion culture is being cultivated. With the pit, the arranger (Erik Johnson) is an alumnus and also the founder of Innovative Percussion, so the corps is pretty well set up in the sticks department. The pit tech aged out in '98, I think, has been teaching ever since, and is a HUGE reason the Cavalier pit is as successful as it is.

So I don't know that it's necessarily about hiring "the best staff you can get" and retaining them. It seems to be more about developing a culture. Steve Brubaker started the Cavalier visual revolution more than 25 years ago (with the winterguard), but Michael Gaines (and others) learned from him and are still a force, even 17 years after Brubaker's untimely death.

Phantom has a culture when it comes to brass, and has developed very well in percussion over the course of this decade. When Rennick is gone, they will have hopefully trained enough former members to continue the tradition of excellence. Visually? Guard-wise? Ironically, their culture of "music first" seems to have been their undoing in these areas. Music doesn't have to come second, but visual can't come third.

No matter what you say, you can't argue against this being a good day for Crown.

BD was 3.65 ahead of Crown at Atlanta. They are now .5 if you combine today and yesterday. Obviously there might be a bias in favor of Crown tonight, but clearly they would not have been 3.15 points different if they performed yesterday instead of today. They have definitely made some headway recently.

I mentioned in another thread that BD's scores compared to the Bluecoats got closer in each show up until (and including) yesterday from Atlanta. It seems like they might be plateau-ing (although maybe BD did just have an off show).

Looking forward to a good championship week!

and the reason i dont want them to win is on my opinion that i dont like the show but people think i hate crown beacuse of that. o well i still have myself to talk to. :thumbup:

You're not the only one dude.