Hopkins' May Have Changed His Mind

Hopefully Gibbs will figure it out next.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from DCI.org

“The choice of the program has given the kids a lot to work with, and it’s a lot of fun. [Along the way] I think I’ve changed my views on life a little bit … It’s a lot of fun having people cheer for them. As much as I sometimes personally like to do show concepts that are more reflective, or a little more interesting … there’s nothing better than watching the kids stand on the field and work their rear ends off all year and then have them able to look out in the stands and see people going nuts.”

It seems insulting or patronizing to suggest that the "crowd" doesn't like "something more intersting." Like he is so far beyond what the crowd... AND JUDGES can get in to.

It isn't US George, it is YOU!

This is from DCI.org

“The choice of the program has given the kids a lot to work with, and it’s a lot of fun. [Along the way] I think I’ve changed my views on life a little bit … It’s a lot of fun having people cheer for them. As much as I sometimes personally like to do show concepts that are more reflective, or a little more interesting … there’s nothing better than watching the kids stand on the field and work their rear ends off all year and then have them able to look out in the stands and see people going nuts.”

To Mr. Hopkins,

Whatever you decide to do in the future, the show you have put on the field this year is wonderful. I am a volunteer, and admitted honk, for the Cavaliers and this year you and the marching members and staff of the HNC have given us a treat! Congrats on 75 years! There is no way IMHO that anyone could help but applaud this show when it is done, in fact I find myself not wanting it to end. Congratulations again! :thumbup:

Kathy Sanden

Happy for Hoppy! Better thoughts could not have been said.

Why not have both? See:

Cadets 1985

Cadets 1987

Cadets 1992

Cadets 1993

Cadets 1997

Cadets 1998

Cadets 2000

(just to name a few)

That's exactly my thought. And more to the point, where would drum corps be today without those risk-taking early Cadets shows? Over half the shows listed there wouldn't have been possible. There's value in bringing new ideas to the field, even if some of them miss. I'm thrilled that Hopkins and the Cadets are bringing audiences to their feet, I just hope he doesn't stop challenging audiences either.

I could have told him this years ago (and did), but... :thumbup:

I told him thanks for putting this year's show on the field last night. Hey, maybe that is the reason for the quote...NOT

Why not have both? See:

Cadets 1985

Cadets 1987

Cadets 1992

Cadets 1993

Cadets 1997

Cadets 1998

Cadets 2000

(just to name a few)

I guess it depends what one means by reflective and interesting. They are ambiguous when talking about a drum corps show. Example: I thought 2000 was just plain fun and I was interested, but not reflective. To tell you the truth I don't want to be reflective at a drum corps show, I do that many other times throughout the day. Obviously his meaning is pushing the envelope to the point of the fan being uncomfortable.

Edited by cage

It seems insulting or patronizing to suggest that the "crowd" doesn't like "something more intersting." Like he is so far beyond what the crowd... AND JUDGES can get in to.

It isn't US George, it is YOU!

Who thinks they can guess what my reply to this post will be?