SCV Show

Crowd reaction during the show (until the end) was a little subdued at Atlanta (except for the #@!@##*@! drunk men in front of me), too. I didn't cheer much until the end, but that had nothing to do with boredom. Each set piece ends on a quiet note with a cool drill pattern popping up, then right in to the next part of the music. Not much chance to stand and yell. And, THAT'S NOT A BAD THING. I loved every minute of it, and I found myself on the edge of my seat enjoying the show, waiting for the next subtle move or melody.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As others have said, the Allentown crowd was pretty enthusiastic for SCV... I'm sorry the VOD didn't bring that across. At least in my section (middle chunk of the upper deck, literally right under the judges box), they were the only group besides the Cadets that got a standing o during the show, not just after they were done. All the people around me had nothing but wonderful things to say once it was over, and I myself got a tear to my eye. I didn't expect it to stand up to Cadets 87 (my favorite show of all time), but I LOVED SCV's version.

Finally saw SCV live for the first time this season... AWESOME!! Although I think there are several bad transitions musically that was previously gone unnoticed in FN videos. While I would say the crowd at Allentown is not the best (still better than Stanford in my opinion), it is a pretty fair audience response and the score for the night is pretty reflective of what was presented on the field. It is also true that crowd response is very important to SCV's show this year. The Walnut VOD indicates the best crowd reaction so far.

Sideway Vanguard TOAST!!!! THANK YOU!!!

I don't think the cymbal V would not be incorporated this season. Although unlike the Vanguard yell, I do not think cymbal V would go against the concept of the show. In addition, I don't think Ballet for Martha is particularly great for the cymbal line.

Crown certainly deserves their score last night, although I am still hoping for color changes for the final.

Edited by watersling

Just watched it. From my perspective it seemed fine. The audience really doesn't get much chance to react to this show until the company front..it just keeps on moving until then, at which point i could barely hear the corps over the audience.

I agree. I was there and I almost couldn't hear them over all the yelling. There were a lot of spots where there would be more crowd reaction if someone else wasn't playing right after a solo and other parts.

don't think the cymbal V would not be incorporated this season. Although unlike the Vanguard yell, I do not think cymbal V would go against the concept of the show.

How about an M? :lol:

Having never been to a show before allentown i must say that i couldnt have asked for a better DCI experience...the company-front gave me chills and it was simply amazing...not that the word of a "newbie" means much

Of course it does. (We were all newbies once. Some just started a little further back than others.)

I haven't seen the video, but I gotta add to the chorus of people who had a different obsrvation about the crowd response. SCV's show is one that builds on you as you watch it. Everyone around me was riveted to what they were doing. Not bored at all. But, when they got to the company front, it was like everything exploded. The standing ovation at the end was massive.

Keep in mind that there is a huge distance between the edge of the field and the stands at Allentown. The bottom stands are not at a steep slope, but slope back rather gently. As a result, the crowd feels further back than at other stadiums. The DCI VOD may have done a good job of filtering out whatever crowd noise there was in the audio. Allentown also has no back stands or dome for the crowd noise to bounce off.

I wasn't there the night before for Cadets, so I can't compare them.

(edited to add the following)

I just watched bits of it. You could see the crowd jump to their feet at the company front and at the very end.

Edited by barigirl78

I was in Allentown, and I have to disagree with your perception of the crowd response to SCV (and I'm an "eastern" homer).....

SCV's show is an accurate reflection of Appalachian Spring.......it's not a show that is going to "call" for audience response throughout the program, but one that draws you in and makes you sit there and listen and watch to the many subtle expressions going on.......finally, just as in the original, we have a big majestic push.....at that point, the

audience was rockin', and they also jumped to their feet again at the subtle ending of the show.........they have a GREAT show this year, and I think that many people like it, and I don't think they can be counted out in Indy if they

can nail it performance-wise...........

GB