New name for Blue Devils

My god, 6 pages and this hasn't blown up in its entirety? I don't care who the corps we're talking about is, that's just amazing.

How about play it again Sam?

Since it's the only show I can watch again and again

The others shows in the top 5 are great but I saw it once..next.

The only exception is the cadets and crown, but they keep changing their show. I keep hoping the theme will engage me.

But to say BD has no Marching...no Visual?

Watch it again with me...

Drums coming across the field from the 10

The brass forming a diamond and rotating it all the way to the left

everyone in unison, so clean

1930 formed by the corp

$ formed by the chairs

color guard going around counterclockwise taking you back in time

Little bit of comedy with the drums and brass facing off

1930 formed from the chairs

then by the chairs and the corp

1930 outlined by the chairs and the color guard

See how much you said chairs in that?

EDIT - 7 PAGES!!

Edited by acolli17

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about play it again Sam?

Since it's the only show I can watch again and again

The others shows in the top 5 are great but I saw it once..next.

The only exception is the cadets and crown, but they keep changing their show. I keep hoping the theme will engage me.

But to say BD has no Marching...no Visual?

Watch it again with me...

Drums coming across the field from the 10

The brass forming a diamond and rotating it all the way to the left

everyone in unison, so clean

1930 formed by the corp

$ formed by the chairs

color guard going around counterclockwise taking you back in time

Little bit of comedy with the drums and brass facing off

1930 formed from the chairs

then by the chairs and the corp

1930 outlined by the chairs and the color guard

What's even funnier is that I could go down every other corps list of "marching and visuals" and come up with pages upon pages for each corps.

I think the point that people are making with BD regarding why they don't like it is because arguably every other corps in DCI has a harder visual program and/or marches more than BD does.

Is it true? Maybe.

Is it bad that LOTS of people already think that this is true, regardless of statistics?

Definitely.

To me, watching BD is like watching paint dry. The finished product is there, and it looks kinda artsy, but watching it dry is no fun. Watching someone paint is 10x more exciting to me than watching it dry.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

The Blame Devils from Chaircord, CA. :shutup:

how does the design and effect of this shows visual program say 12 time champion and Wow ??

Geoffrey

The design doesn't have to say 12-time champion. It only has to be good enough to win this year. And so far no on has come close to beating the Devils so that design is holding up just fine.

It could matter because, it was used as an effect, it wasnt the focus of the show. Sure it wasnt a top 12 corps, but you know what, they got great crowd response and the chairs werent overused and in the way.

Did you see them ??

Geoffrey

Again, this comment is comparing itself to some other performance. That would assume that you think the 2009 BD show is overusing chairs and that they are in the way....that of course is entirely your opinion and others feel that are used brilliantly (include the judging staff in that number). And no I didn't see the 1982 corps, but I'll take your word for it that they used the chairs creatively. By the way, kaleidoscopic, rapidly changing drill and music standards ain't new either but some very good corps are using that design this year to some success.

The design doesn't have to say 12-time champion. It only has to be good enough to win this year. And so far no on has come close to beating the Devils so that design is holding up just fine.

According to those in the green shirts that is. However, this is by far, for me, the least appealing visual design that the Blue Devils have had since laying my eyes on them in 1979.

They do nothing in terms of letting marching design and transitions enhance the music. Sitting in chairs, carrying chairs, standing on chairs....why ? for what purpose ? Whats the desired effect ? Has it satisfied the judges ? Good, has it satisfied the fan ? Dont quite think so, but you will never please everyone, then......the music could easily save the lack of drill but again, the music is lacking in many areas and is just fading further and further away from what one has come to expect from classic Blue Devils.

Geoffrey

Edited by GMichael1230

I think the point that people are making with BD regarding why they don't like it is because arguably every other corps in DCI has a harder visual program and/or marches more than BD does.

Oh so because BD is not doing what everyone else is doing, they should not be winning?

And since they aren't doing what everyone else is doing - you can't compare.

Harder does not mean better.

I'm not seeing any other corp's show doing something visually that hasn't been done before.

Although not directly stated, I do tend to agree BD has a cheap and easy show. In my opinion this is why they have been that much better than the other corps. I also find it strange that DCI is not penalizing BD for over simplifying things, but then again you do not hear popular entertainers attempting to do shows the are not capable of. I hope this is not a trend going forward.

Edited by SuncoastFlugel

Oh so because BD is not doing what everyone else is doing, they should not be winning?

And since they aren't doing what everyone else is doing - you can't compare.

Harder does not mean better.

I'm not seeing any other corp's show doing something visually that hasn't been done before.

And just because it hasnt been done before doesnt make it better, or innovative. It has to be appealing, rewarding, entertaining, satisfying and serve a purpose and not only for the audience, but the marching members also.

We could get really technical but the bottom line is that its 11 minutes of carrying chairs around and standing and sitting on them and playing instruments.

And to think the visual program in 88 was criticized.........

Geoffrey