Allentown Bridgemen Encore Complaint

Too long?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Is 20 minutes too long for a noncompeting corps encore?

• Yes
    • No

I don't like it when INT goes on too long also.

Great, now I need to clean the coke off the computer. Finally, someone caught me with a blind shot tonight

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

would you feel the same way if it were the Marine D&BC doing their dog and pony show that runs over 30 minutes ?

No, because they go on at the BEGINNING of the show.

Let's think of this- how many people in Madison complained when the Scouts Alumni corps went on for 20-25 minutes?

<crickets>

Luckily, they've never been asked to do an encore.

I wonder why, though?

My guess, it's got to do with DCI slotting. Blame it all on that.

Yes? I don't know what you're referring to but I think having an encore that much longer than a show is a bit much.

Well, I've seen the Marine D&BC do two shows in a performance. A "red white and blue, stand up for Uncle Sam" sort of show, AND a more jazz type show. Never did it feel like it was too much.

In 82 (?) the poor Guardsmen went on after a knockout BD show in whitewater. The BD show seemed like it was over in just a few minutes. After what "seemed" like 20 minutes into Guardsmen show I had to get up and leave.

Somewhere in my head is the question, I've been sitting at the computer too long.

I usually don't try to complain that much on here, I think this may be my first one, but I'm going to get on my soapbox and speak my mind about what I thought of the Bridgemen. They were good but I think their show was just a tad bit too long. Over twenty minutes!!! :sad: Now I respect that there are a lot of folks out there that want to see G bugles and relive the 80's but that was a bit much for me. The drum majors where at the gate at about 10 and the Bridgemen didn't finish their show until about 10:15. Also, when Crown were ending their show, the Bridgmen already were ready to take the field and were in the way of the departing colorguard member. (he actually ran right through the middle of them because they were in the way). Spirit was on after Bones and they moved to the side for the Crossmen to pass. Granted I'm talking about 80+ people running vs 1 but I still think the Bridgemen could have waited to the side. (off the soapbox) :lol:

ctbonesfan,

I'd like to correct an error in your statement. The Crown member did not "run through the middle" of us - the Crown member ran along our left side as we stood in the gate. Our Corps moved to locations as directed by those in charge - if DCI told us to do the hokey pokey standing in the starting chute, we would have. I remember seeing this individual coming at us as they were approaching the endzone and we did our best to shuffle our ranks to our right so the Crown member could continue running through on our stadium-side. The phrasing and structure of your statement makes it sound as if we stood there as an obstacle to the member of Crown on purpose. That is not the case at all. I'll be the first to tell you that I am unfamiliar with all of the logistics of Crown's program (and many of the Jrs. this year, actually) and as I saw this individual running I didn't know if they were going to stop or not. Regardless of our possible thoughts, we tried to make room so they could continue.

Also, please realize as one of my fellow Bananas pointed out, we were given a time limit, just as every other corps this evening was! DCI said "You have X amount of time on the field" and we used that time as best we could. This was not a situation where we were invited to perform and said "Let's play and play and play!", but rather we were under limits as much as the next corps. We love being invited to perform at Allentown and do everything we can to live up to DCI's rules and guidelines and fan expectations.

Regardless, I can assure you we all had a blast on Saturday night! I hope everyone on the other side of the horns, drums, flags and uniforms enjoyed it as much as we did.

If I were the crown guard member running off the field, I would have run into your block and given you high fives. Everyone in the audience was still watching, and it would have made for a great moment. Besides, once you run off the field and into the tunnel, i think its fair to expect that the whole world wont part for you. Im all for pre / post show action, but the whole world doesnt stop for you.

I usually don't try to complain that much on here, I think this may be my first one, but I'm going to get on my soapbox and speak my mind about what I thought of the Bridgemen. They were good but I think their show was just a tad bit too long. Over twenty minutes!!! :sad: Now I respect that there are a lot of folks out there that want to see G bugles and relive the 80's but that was a bit much for me. The drum majors where at the gate at about 10 and the Bridgemen didn't finish their show until about 10:15. Also, when Crown were ending their show, the Bridgmen already were ready to take the field and were in the way of the departing colorguard member. (he actually ran right through the middle of them because they were in the way). Spirit was on after Bones and they moved to the side for the Crossmen to pass. Granted I'm talking about 80+ people running vs 1 but I still think the Bridgemen could have waited to the side. (off the soapbox) :lol:

most encores at shows take 20 minutes especially when you factor in the songs that arent part of the field show

ctbonesfan,

I'd like to correct an error in your statement. The Crown member did not "run through the middle" of us - the Crown member ran along our left side as we stood in the gate. Our Corps moved to locations as directed by those in charge - if DCI told us to do the hokey pokey standing in the starting chute, we would have. I remember seeing this individual coming at us as they were approaching the endzone and we did our best to shuffle our ranks to our right so the Crown member could continue running through on our stadium-side. The phrasing and structure of your statement makes it sound as if we stood there as an obstacle to the member of Crown on purpose. That is not the case at all.

I apologize, I was pretty far away and was just stating what I saw from my vantage point, which was of course a very long way away from yours. To the members of the Bridgemen, do not take my original post the wrong way. I just spoke off my first reaction and did not know the information behind it. Sorry

I don't like it when INT goes on too long also.

Even worse when INT takes a Mulligan and comes back out again at the big shows ...

I usually don't try to complain that much on here, I think this may be my first one, but I'm going to get on my soapbox and speak my mind about what I thought of the Bridgemen. They were good but I think their show was just a tad bit too long. Over twenty minutes!!! :thumbup: Now I respect that there are a lot of folks out there that want to see G bugles and relive the 80's but that was a bit much for me. The drum majors where at the gate at about 10 and the Bridgemen didn't finish their show until about 10:15. Also, when Crown were ending their show, the Bridgmen already were ready to take the field and were in the way of the departing colorguard member. (he actually ran right through the middle of them because they were in the way). Spirit was on after Bones and they moved to the side for the Crossmen to pass. Granted I'm talking about 80+ people running vs 1 but I still think the Bridgemen could have waited to the side. (off the soapbox) :worthy:

Good Grief. That's one soapbox that you need to burn.

Anytime we have the opportunity to hear legends play, then it's time to kick back in our seat and at the very least show some respect. They may not be fine tuned and you might personally be bored, but let me just clue you in to a little secret--some day you will be there too. You'll be an old fogey watching an encore from the defunct Carolina Crown alumni and be reliving some great memories that you had while showing them respect as a corps that helped shape the activity as you know it.