Thank you for coming to Indiana DCI!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Airfare from where I live in the US is about $700. I wish DCI would have consulted me a bit more before moving to Indy.

What? It costs me at most $350 to fly from New Jersey to San Diego. From where are you flying? That sounds ridiculous.

What? It costs me at most $350 to fly from New Jersey to San Diego. From where are you flying? That sounds ridiculous.

Indianpolis can be a tough city to get to. I paid a bit over $500 for coach from Seattle. The lack of direct flights into Indy makes it expensive.

Those are both pretty big cities and heavily visited travel destinations for business and pleasure, so of course fares will be relatively cheap. The nearest similar city to me is 5 hours away, so fares are pretty steep from my little regional airport...the Indy airport isn't exactly cheap to travel to, either.

I'm serious about the fare, but I was joking with the rest in my first post. Obviously it works great for others.

Moving to Indy pretty much took us out of ever going to nationals. It's tough on us California folks. But hey, I guess the huge crowd at the Rose Bowl wasn't enough to convince DCI that Cali is good for business. Their loss I guess. I will tell you one thing, we are getting sick and tired of only getting to see drum corps in June. Would be nice to see the corps once they are clean.

Oh well...

Unfortunately, the "economic impact" on the area will decline significantly over the next two/three years and finals will become more like a convention where the fans show up in town just in time for the event, spend little time/money outside the event sites, and book out of town as soon as the event is over. Much greater economic impact would be felt had DCI continued to move the location around each year, thereby attracting attendees to spend more time and money in a location that they have never been to or have not been to for several years.

Indianapolis for 10 years is a STUPID idea from the fan (and economic impact on the area) perspective (unless you live in/near Indiana).

Edited by fifer

Moving to Indy pretty much took us out of ever going to nationals. It's tough on us California folks. But hey, I guess the huge crowd at the Rose Bowl wasn't enough to convince DCI that Cali is good for business. Their loss I guess. I will tell you one thing, we are getting sick and tired of only getting to see drum corps in June. Would be nice to see the corps once they are clean.

Oh well...

Have to agree.

Air and Hotel to attend Thursday through Saturday would be well over $1K, not including tickets, food, and incidentals.

Not to mention that Indy is kind of an armpit as far as travel destinations go, and you can get about a week of vacationing in an A-list U.S. destination for the same money.

DCI Championship week is going to become the destination for band directors and music educators who can write it off as a tax deduction.