Shows that just needed "one more week"

That's what happens when the drum corps season starts later then it used to, and ends sooner then it used too! :thumbdown: Now you see why that extra week or two is so important!

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV 2000, and 2003.

i'll add 2004 to this list

Cadets 1992. Came on strong late in the year. But one of the songs ends in a back into a giant (full corps) oblique diagonal block set. Of course, the finals camera points straight down the lines. Well, "lines" is a bit of an over statement. Dang hard move to be sure. But the song ENDS there, so there is no chance to correct it as they move on.

To Tame the Perilous Skies also came to mind for me immediately. I don't think they even needed another full week - just one more day would have pushed this one to the top. The judges were simply not able to believe how good this corps got in the last week of the season and that was, to some degree, reflected in their scores.

Edited by fifer

"One More Week";

Madison Scouts, 1976. Halfway through their lackluster post DCI win season of 1976, Madison canned their ENTIRE PROGRAM, went back into "Camp" and came out with a NEW SHOW for "Second Season".

They struggled early on, but by DCI had passed everyone except Blue Devils. The Scouts ended up in second place at Finals, behind a powerfull Blue Devils corps. Thie Finals performance was awesome, :thumbdown: and I believe my pretties, if they had been able to practice (Maybe) one or two more days they would have defended their title. :rock:

Elphaba

SCV has a TON of these shows: 2000, 01, 03, 04 off the top of my head from this decade alone

Spirit: 1980, 2001 (not championship contention obviously, but the corps could have made finals with just another week in 01 IMO)

Cadets: 1992

BD: 2000

PR: 2003, 2008 (yes I know they won in 08, but they weren't all that clean IMO)

That's what happens when the drum corps season starts later then it used to, and ends sooner then it used too! :thumbdown: Now you see why that extra week or two is so important!

All the more reason why the Corps that wins it all, is the Corps that executes their show the best.... not the Corps that gets credit for the most demand and 90% executed. When in doubt, go with an easier show and execute the heck out of it when the alternative is to do a very demanding musical and visual show but with some dirt in it that hasn't had sufficient time to clean. For an example, I don't see anybody catching the Blue Devils this week. So far they are clearly the cleanest Corps out there on the whole.

But if the season was longer...... maybe 2-3 weeks longer..... I could see a couple of Corps possibly catching this Blue Devils show and Corps this year.

Edited by BRASSO

Cadets 1992. Came on strong late in the year. But one of the songs ends in a back into a giant (full corps) oblique diagonal block set. Of course, the finals camera points straight down the lines. Well, "lines" is a bit of an over statement. Dang hard move to be sure. But the song ENDS there, so there is no chance to correct it as they move on.

Funny you mention this :thumbdown: In 1993 Marc put a very similar rotating block move at the end of part three of our show before the ballad. We worked VERY hard to make sure it was cleaner than 1992. We heard that all summer.

For me:

1. SCV 2000 (LOVED that show!) and wanted it to be clean so badly, but it was such a beast of a show, and needed changes to the closer IMHO.

2. STAR 1990 - Should have scored higher I think.

3. Cadets 1992 as others have said.

4. I'll even throw in Phantom 1993 - they wouldn't have passed Cadets or Start I don't think, but it was a great show that was a little dirty. All three corps had changed endings at finals that year that very pretty dirty visually.