Terrible Sound in Lucas

Did anyone else notice that the sound was horrible in Lucas? We were promised that the sound would be good (actually we heard that it would be better that San Antonio). I think that DCI needs to work on some way to improve the sound. I did not think it was any better than the other indoor sites. Any comments? I was very disappointed and am seriously considering only going to outdoor shows in the future. I know that I would have to miss finals, but the sound really was a terrible disappointment.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you sit on the 50, you're good!

I was on the 50, mid way up, and I would say the acoustics were the worst of the 14 championships I've attended. I'm not saying they were intolerably bad, but they definitely weakened the musical products tonight.

The echo is mostly in the low frequencies, so I found that percussion and low brass staged behind the hashes often were inaudible over the rumbling echo. It was also difficult to tell if lower register parts were clean or not. I don't envy the ensemble judges sitting just above me trying to discern what's going on!

The echo effect was made worse by the fact that almost every corps chose to double/octave the tuba part with a synthesizer on big hits. Since the speakers were staged the furthest forward, they usually obliterated the actual tubas on the field.

It's a shame because the Lucas Oil facility is otherwise one of the nicest venues DCI has used.

Sound in my theater was VERY dim for most corps. I think Cavies and Vanguard were the loudest I heard. It felt like they had the mics turned down really low, to be honest.

I'll be going to semis tomorrow so it'll be fun to compare.

The echo is mostly in the low frequencies, so I found that percussion and low brass staged behind the hashes often were inaudible over the rumbling echo. It was also difficult to tell if lower register parts were clean or not. I don't envy the ensemble judges sitting just above me trying to discern what's going on!

The low frequency stuff showed up in the theaters too ... VERY annoying!

The low frequency stuff showed up in the theaters too ... VERY annoying!

sounded fanastic compared to what I was expecting. I would give it an A-. A little heavy at the low end, but mostly good. I thought that Vanguard had, by far, the best balance overall. There were a few corps that sounded OK but with too much pit.

Did anyone else notice that the sound was horrible in Lucas? We were promised that the sound would be good (actually we heard that it would be better that San Antonio). I think that DCI needs to work on some way to improve the sound. I did not think it was any better than the other indoor sites. Any comments? I was very disappointed and am seriously considering only going to outdoor shows in the future. I know that I would have to miss finals, but the sound really was a terrible disappointment.

From Section 439 (35 yard line,) the sound wasn't great. I guess I got used to it as the evening progressed but there were echo's of about 3 seconds after a ff cutoff. It's especially disappointing considering the hype about the stadium. I guess I expected the roof to be open unless rain or other poor weather was anticipated but I wonder whether that was ever the plan.

On the bright side, the sight lines were quite good and the stadium's amenities were also very good (though second to Denver, IMHO.)

Edited by Phillygwm

I was on the 50, mid way up, and I would say the acoustics were the worst of the 14 championships I've attended. I'm not saying they were intolerably bad, but they definitely weakened the musical products tonight.

The echo effect was made worse by the fact that almost every corps chose to double/octave the tuba part with a synthesizer on big hits. Since the speakers were staged the furthest forward, they usually obliterated the actual tubas on the field.

It's a shame because the Lucas Oil facility is otherwise one of the nicest venues DCI has used.

Yeah, just got off the phone with my uncle. He's been to every finals since 73 (except 82 & 83) and said pretty much the same thing. So bad to the point that he will not be attending anymore finals held at Lucas Oil for sure. And his seats were on the 45 mid way up. He also mentioned there were many "regulars" he talked to who also felt the same way. Very disappointing.