Terrible Sound in Lucas

Sound quality was completely unacceptable for drum corps purposes in Lucas Oil. It wasn't even passable. :rock:

Revenge of the RCA Dome (a show I went to once, and never again...sensing a pattern forming with Indianapolis shows).

AGREED! Indoor shows don't do it for me. Too hard to hear the technical passages and any sudden volume drop. Too much delay. Heck, Cavaliers didn't even need to use the electronics to get the echo effect in their show.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff, since you're on the BD Board, wouldn't Mr. Gibbs be a better person to complain to?

Mr. Gibbs is not on the DCI BOD.

Mr. Gibbs is not on the DCI BOD.

My apologies to Dave Gibbs. I know there was a time when he sat on the Board (and IIRC was the Chair?) but I admittedly haven't checked the structure of the Board recently. I know it's in the annual program but it's not on the website.

Did anyone else notice that the sound was horrible in Lucas? We were promised that the sound would be good (actually we heard that it would be better that San Antonio). I think that DCI needs to work on some way to improve the sound. I did not think it was any better than the other indoor sites. Any comments? I was very disappointed and am seriously considering only going to outdoor shows in the future. I know that I would have to miss finals, but the sound really was a terrible disappointment.

If the sound was a bad as alot of folks said it was, DCI will also suffer when offering the 2009 Championship DVD's which I always buy. Always bought the most expensive DVD they offered at seasons end but after hearing the comments from folks that were there at the Lucas Oil stadium, I might be better off buying the cheapest they offer. That would send the biggest message to DCI that they must "check out" the acoustics at a venue before signing on to have a show as big as the DCI championships there.

I would highly suggest that all send a letter or email to DCI to complain about the sound at Lucas....we can complain all we want here, but to no avail.............I was there, and for me, the sound was bad, and I am hearing/reading many other complaints......if we bombard DCI with a few thousand messages, there is a chance that they will listen......if we just complain here, it's not going to happen.............I just sent my own message saying that I won't be going to Lucas again (but will go to other shows.....I support the activity, but the championship show, where people spend a ton of money, demands good sound..........)

They could probably get IU for the next year or two, until they can figure out what they want to do beyond that. People could still fly into and stay in Indy if they wish....it's a cool town......I did it last year and it wasn't that rough a drive down to Bloomington, and perhaps DCI could run ('break even") cost buses, and for a cheap fee fans could ride....certainly for less than the cost of parking....like last year....except I realize DCI can't pick up the tab for a ton of free buses........)and make the trip to Bloomington without too much hassle, or they can do Bloomington totally......Indy wouldn't lose everything, we have a great venue, and no major travel or housing changes would have to be made for the corps.............the sound at IU was fine..............we will see if they listen.....

GB

Sound was not terrible, [...] Reverb was averaging 3-5 seconds [...]

I think this is the crux. For many people, a 5-second (and may I note LOUD) reverb is pretty terrible. Perhaps not so bad when a corps is playing long, sustained notes, but a complete disaster when a corps is playing fast, articulated notes. To give just one of many examples, at times the snares were competing with their own echoes--which were sometimes louder than the drum hits themselves.

That being said, the echo was much less noticeable in the 600-section, where I sat during semi's to see the visuals better. Though that says quite a lot--the seats where I sometimes go to see visuals (at the expense of sound) actually had better sound.

DCI needs to focus all of it's efforts on this issue quickly or I believe they will see this events attendance dwindle over the next ten years.

You're being very generous as I dont think finals will be at Lucas Oil for not even close to that long..mabye 1-2 seasons at best. Word of Mouth is a very powerful thing and when you have long time loyal fans whom will put there money where their mouth is and skip finals altogether that speaks VOLUMES (no pund intended). The potential for seeing the attendance dives of the 96-98 period could very well end up happening.

You're being very generous as I dont think finals will be at Lucas Oil for not even close to that long..mabye 1-2 seasons at best. Word of Mouth is a very powerful thing and when you have long time loyal fans whom will put there money where their mouth is and skip finals altogether that speaks VOLUMES (no pund intended). The potential for seeing the attendance dives of the 96-98 period could very well end up happening.

if DCI has to pay to get out of it, they'll stay and jack up the prices for those that still come

I would highly suggest that all send a letter or email to DCI to complain about the sound at Lucas....we can complain all we want here, but to no avail.............I was there, and for me, the sound was bad, and I am hearing/reading many other complaints......if we bombard DCI with a few thousand messages, there is a chance that they will listen......if we just complain here, it's not going to happen

Go for it, if you want, but from DCI's perspective, complaints may not matter as much as advance ticket sales and donations/FDCI memberships. If they see those crater from previous levels, that may help them make the decision more than complaints. And if those don't crater from previous levels, they may roll the dice and stay no matter how many complaints they get.

My guess is that DCI is very committed to staying at Lucas Oil for the duration of the contract, unless they see it as a threat to their survival. They moved their offices to Indy, and talked about a long-term partnership with the city! They want this to work. That's why I think dollars will speak more clearly than complaints. People complain about every venue.

Plus, we don't really know what the contract says, whether it really has an out after one or two seasons. That may be nothing more than a rumor.

Edited by Peel Paint

I have to say when I sat in my seat for finals I was pretty upset. $75 for tickets 1 row from the back wall in section 642. I was expecting a horrible evening but let me tell you it could have been one of the best seats in the house. Row 20 sits just under an overhang in the stadium. All the sound funnelled up into this overhang and we could hear everything that was played and said. I was so shocked. I'm not a music afficianado, just a mom who loves drumcorps, but I thought the sound was GREAT. Plus we had our own flat screen tv in front of us, since we couldn't see the jumbo-tron due to the overhang. Yes it was up high (and we needed an infusion of oxygen when we got to our seats), but we got to see it all. Not sure if it the good sound was due to the packed house or the overhang but I loved it.

I was one happy camper at the end of the show. And I'll probably ask for the same seats next year, just closer to the 50 yard line if possible.

Edited by bluecontramom