Terrible Sound in Lucas

They also said at the cinecast that one of the reasons the dome was closed is that the stadium is not "totally done" and the drainage systems are not totally in place. They said that that stadium cannot get wet AT ALL!!

Last night was kinda showery right??? What's tonight's forcast like??? Could they reconsider if they forcast is clear???

During the cinecast, it was stated that the roof will never be open during DCI so that the black drapes don't blow around and for fan comfort.

Dennis DeLucia stated several times during the cinecast that corps designed their shows this year to account for championships being indoors.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't attend Finals week next year and send a message to DCI that selling their soul to BOA will have consequences. But go and enjoy the outdoor venue of Allentown by all means.

Deal. I attended last year and enjoyed the outdoor venue. It was wonderful. This year I stayed away because I was concerned about the acoustics indoors. Now I'm glad I did. And after reading this thread I won't be going next year either.

The sound where we were wasn't as TERRIBLE as I had feared. We sat pretty much as high up as you can get, and on the 50. I could tell the low frequencies were getting washed out/muted...and clearly reverb during loud parts can wash away some musical details...and some backfield playing (esp. during SCV) is almost inaudible...but it was more or less what I expected out of a dome. A bigger complaint I might have about where I was sitting is AUDIENCE noise...it was tough to hear reactions from people under/lower than my section, and the people noise in my section was accentuated by the ceiling just over our section.

We're going to have to keep playing with our seating over the coming years. Clearly it would be more ideal to get down into the 400s or 300s I would think, depending on the costs. Maybe, since we go to semis and finals, we'll spend one night way down low and another night higher up... I can see the echo/reverb/muted audience reaction becoming a pain as the years go on though.

Edited by chris ncsu

....sure hope your seat isnt on the 6th level!

Wow, the sound is strange up there.

Cant hear the corps sound systems at all.

People all around me were asking what the person was saying during BStar's Pearl HarBor section.....it was garbled at best.

Whole sections, when pits were playing, couldnt be heard.

The corps need to patch into the dome speaker system.....but maybe they were???

Maybe a speaker adjustment is needed???

I was one of the people that described the sound as "fine", or even better than "fine." I have 2 music degrees, to you tell me if my post was "authentic."

I heard plenty of bass drums.... and all the quiet playing..... and in some of the cut-offs, I thought the echo sounded amazing.

I guess my ears were just made differently than most of the other people's on DCP.

I'll see your two music degrees and raise you my two engineering degrees. BTW how many physics courses do they make you take in music school?

They also said at the cinecast that one of the reasons the dome was closed is that the stadium is not "totally done" and the drainage systems are not totally in place. They said that that stadium cannot get wet AT ALL!!

Last night was kinda showery right??? What's tonight's forcast like??? Could they reconsider if they forcast is clear???

You didn't hear the announcers at the cinecast quite correctly. You're right that the field cannot get wet, or it will not dry out for days. But no drainage system is being installed. (If I recall the discussion about the Lucas Oil roof and drainage system a year ago correctly, there was to be a drainage system in the original plans, but because the stadium project was going to be too expensive, some genius decided that scrapping the drainage system was a way to save a bunch money, since they could always close the roof if it was going to rain. They didn't think it through and realize that not having a drainage system would mean that the roof had to be closed unless there was a 0% chance of precipitation, which there seldom is in summertime in Indianapolis.)

Today's forecast calls for a 20% chance of precipitation late this afternoon, diminishing later this evening. But even though the roof can be opened in less than half an hour, it won't be, because they have to drop the curtain first. That's the real reason the roof will always be closed when DCI is there, so they are now saying. The curtain would be damaged by wind if the roof is open, and the curtain cannot be dropped quickly. They also pointed out that it wouldn't be fair to judges or corps being judged if the roof position was changed partway through a competition, because the sound would change.

Edited by Peel Paint

The corps need to patch into the dome speaker system.....but maybe they were???

Holy moly no...I have a speaker in front of my face in 640. Not literally...but it isn't far from me.

Holy moly no...I have a speaker in front of my face in 640. Not literally...but it isn't far from me.

...had one in front of me in section 643, but it was pointed DOWN.

Out of the 4 or 5 speakers (?) in the unit, maybe one or two MIGHT have helped us with sound.

the bad part is that I am "friend" and have been for years and still ended up on 20. I wasted so much time on thurs trying to talk to dci, box office etc. They all pointed fingers at the other. Bottom line no one did anything. I finally gave up sold my friday nite tkts to a scalper and bought better seats at a loss of course. Tonight I'll be back in my crappy seats. At least I had one good night.

I'm done. I've been a loyal supporter and friend for years. No more.

as a former Friend, I am surprised. usually they go out of their way for the Friends

And here is yet another reason they don't need the amps...the stadium has provided them already! :tongue: