Is there any point for drums and bugles anymore?

You know what I thought was disgusting about last night's Quarterfinals performance? I was watching 3 different corps, and the contrabass sound was just overwhelming.....then I noticed the contrabasses, tubas, whatever you want to call them, WERE SITTING ON THE GROUND while the players relaxed, danced, played with props, etc. I honestly could not decipher the sound of the tubas against the synthesizers. When I marched drum corps, I had to hyperventilate to help my contra section fill a stadium with sound, and we did! Now the corps have grown so large that they march 16 tubas!!!!! So, why is it that with each tuba costing, lets say, $5000 each...thats $80,000 worth of tubas, does a $1000 synthesizer make more sound, and have more featured moments than the tubas....or the rest of the hornline for that matter?

I can honestly say that I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED by any group last night. The music was so abstract, so overwhelming with chaos and maniacal madness that the actual concepts were only enjoyed by the overpaid design teams, sipping Starbucks on the front sideline as their students ran around making fools of themselves. Santa Clara Vanguard was the only corps that had a legitimate performance, in my opinion. But, the music they played was about as burnt out as Stars and Stripes Forever at a 4th of July parade, and the whole "restraint" system they were displaying was only restraining my enjoyment of their countless hours of hard work. Then they do a huge push at the end....ok? Sooooo, what about the rest of the show?

I was disappointed by the switch to Bb horns. I was disappointed by the expansion to 150 people. I was saddened by the addition of electronics, amplification, and synthesizers. But what sealed the nail in the coffin for me being proud of modern drum corps is all of these concepts, coming together to create something blasphemous...a frankenstein of every idea someone thought would be nice for drum corps to have, but couldnt because of imposed restrictions at the time. I can't say that I will walk away from drum corps forever, because I am an avid supporter of senior corps, and local upstarts geared towards helping disadvantaged youth in their communities. But, I can honestly say that my time, money, and energy for mainstream junior drum and bugle corps will be diverted elsewhere from now on.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Crown has a pretty entertaining show with some wonderful music and a fantastic hornline. What did you think of their performance?

I don't like the direction show design is going as of late, and I also agree that some staff members are probably WAAAy overpaid in comparison to others...

but I can deal with it for now. I've got 2 years left to try and march in DCI, so I kinda have to until then. :bluedevil:

My opinions on show design have nothing to do with "education" and "opportunity", I just really like shows that only utilize things that were legal in the 2003-past era of drum corps.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

You know what I thought was disgusting about last night's Quarterfinals performance? I was watching 3 different corps, and the contrabass sound was just overwhelming.....then I noticed the contrabasses, tubas, whatever you want to call them, WERE SITTING ON THE GROUND while the players relaxed, danced, played with props, etc. I honestly could not decipher the sound of the tubas against the synthesizers. When I marched drum corps, I had to hyperventilate to help my contra section fill a stadium with sound, and we did! Now the corps have grown so large that they march 16 tubas!!!!! So, why is it that with each tuba costing, lets say, $5000 each...thats $80,000 worth of tubas, does a $1000 synthesizer make more sound, and have more featured moments than the tubas....or the rest of the hornline for that matter?

I can honestly say that I WAS NOT ENTERTAINED by any group last night. The music was so abstract, so overwhelming with chaos and maniacal madness that the actual concepts were only enjoyed by the overpaid design teams, sipping Starbucks on the front sideline as their students ran around making fools of themselves. Santa Clara Vanguard was the only corps that had a legitimate performance, in my opinion. But, the music they played was about as burnt out as Stars and Stripes Forever at a 4th of July parade, and the whole "restraint" system they were displaying was only restraining my enjoyment of their countless hours of hard work. Then they do a huge push at the end....ok? Sooooo, what about the rest of the show?

I was disappointed by the switch to Bb horns. I was disappointed by the expansion to 150 people. I was saddened by the addition of electronics, amplification, and synthesizers. But what sealed the nail in the coffin for me being proud of modern drum corps is all of these concepts, coming together to create something blasphemous...a frankenstein of every idea someone thought would be nice for drum corps to have, but couldnt because of imposed restrictions at the time. I can't say that I will walk away from drum corps forever, because I am an avid supporter of senior corps, and local upstarts geared towards helping disadvantaged youth in their communities. But, I can honestly say that my time, money, and energy for mainstream junior drum and bugle corps will be diverted elsewhere from now on.

Thank you for your visit. Have a great day.

...and this I am sure is not the only person thinking this by a long shot. Great post.

and now.....

I gotta tell ya, for a couple years now I've been walking further away from DCI really just due to my busy life. I haven't really found a reason to stay around the activity enough to justify an enthusiasm that I used to have. Most of it is growing up and wanting become a normal fan, being a dad to my kids, and working hard to earn a living in my career. That being said, I'll always be into my former corps Spirit (of Atlanta) and Freelancers (no longer here). I also taught Crown and like them a lot. It's hard for me to be a normal fan because I'm not really captured by anything anyone is doing, and I'm not really into all the changes to instruments, sounds, and vocals yet.

I found myself at the GA. Dome a couple years ago watching and wanting to leave after the first couple shows, and I started dozing off, so I left. I came back and volunteered at the Dome last year and enjoyed seeing everyone I knew from Spirit, great people, but then I left shortly after my volunteer time was over and after Spirit performed. This year, I took my son to watch Spirit's drum line warm-up in the lot and left soon after because I had a prior engagement. I just did not have time to see many shows this year, and guess what??? I don't think I missed it that much...

I do get on DCP often to read and post, but now that the season is almost over I'll probably drop off until next year. I get tired of people posting their opinions and then getting blasted on here, and I also am tired of people who look for arguments on here. It ain't right...we should respect their posts and just simply disagree.

I don't think that DCI is going in the right direction, and I believe they have lost the normal fan. My parents used to come to shows in the 70's, 80's, and 90's and they understood the music and knew the show was being directed at them, the average fan. They were truly entertained. Now days, if you aren't a music major and you attend a show, you may not know where the music is coming from or how to pronounce the title. My family used to be huge DCI fans and now could care less about ever going to another show. I know things have to evolve, but DCI is evolving in the wrong direction.

If my kids ever march, I will get back involved and do the volunteer food thing or maybe teach a little; however, neither of my kids really get into it like I did and that's okay. What was once my life and love has turned into a lost hobby for me...sad really.

I was at the Buffalo show on Sunday and will admit that "most" of the corps were very entertaining. I really enjoyed Santa Clara's show the most by far. The company front at the end of the show had the crowd going crazy.

One question though....I'd love to find out what the budget of a corps was in 1972 verses 1995 verses today. I watched 8 maribas, amps and tons of stuff being carted on the field by each corps. Any economic majors out there that would like to take a stab at this?