Who else on here marched DCI 72

This is my first time posting to DCP. I marched at the first DCI in the Des Plaines (IL) Vanguard. We took 7th place. One significant memory about the evening was getting drenched on the field during Retreat (what we used to call Grand Finale) and being ordered by the announcer to just get off the field. Pandemonium, but fortunately scores had already been announced. Many great memories about the first DCI including the fact that many corps stayed in dorms at Whitewater. Quite a departure from the usual gym floors!

Welcome, and be sure to check the longest post on this board, the corps photos. I posted some pictures of '72 DP Vanguard that my brother took.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The absence of DPV from the video is a great loss. Apparently it is the middle portion of videos that is missing, since Muchachos, DPV, Cavaliers and Troopers are the corps missing from the video, and they were numbers 3-6 in order of appearance that night.

I heard a rumor that the tape exists but for some reason the people who have it won't give it up. Rumor.

Welcome cathyo!

The 1972 Des Plaines Vanguard remains a favorite of mine. You were YEARS ahead of the game!

Remember the lights going out at U.S. Open finals just before you guys were supposed to step off?

The lights finally came on and the crowd went nuts. Great corps.

DP Vanguard was so awesome, we had 3 guys jump midseason and join them.

I heard a rumor that the tape exists but for some reason the people who have it won't give it up. Rumor.

I missed it all!! Because I was halfway around the world in Viet-Nam! I remember my sister writing to me telling me about Des Plaines Vanguard. ... ' HEY.. CHECK OUT WHAT YOU ARE MISSING!"

tHANKS sis!! :lol:

Since the original 1972 DCI finals videos belonged to the late Jim Jones of the Troopers this probably isn't true.

Scott Gordon, who worked on the project posts on here, maybe he'll weigh in on why those particular corps are missing.

Those corps may have been on the same reel.

Since the original 1972 DCI finals videos belonged to the late Jim Jones of the Troopers this probably isn't true.

Scott Gordon, who worked on the project posts on here, maybe he'll weigh in on why those particular corps are missing.

Those corps may have been on the same reel.

That would be gold.

Marched in 72, didn't go to Whitewater, got Scott's DVD, it's really cool :-)

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=119448

Edit: got a digital camera a month ago, it's a little different than my 35 mm but thought I'd give it a try; found my button collection a few days ago, took a pic. I'll need more practise taking photos with my new camera ;-)

button_collection.jpg

Edited by lindap

I was there.

Whitewater mosquitos were bigger than pigeons, and it rained like hell!

Welcome cathyo!

The 1972 Des Plaines Vanguard remains a favorite of mine. You were YEARS ahead of the game!

Remember the lights going out at U.S. Open finals just before you guys were supposed to step off?

The lights finally came on and the crowd went nuts. Great corps.

Did that happen to the Vanguard also? I know that happened to us at the 72 US Open that was the ST. Andrews Bridgemen best show ever. Our DM told everybody not to move we stood there at attention and when the lights came on the crowd went crazy and we feed off of it. Loved that 72 Des Plaines show one of my favorites of all time from them that and the 69 show

Edited by lp1955

Did that happen to the Vanguard also? I know that happened to us at the 72 US Open that was the ST. Andrews Bridgemen best show ever. Our DM told everybody not to move we stood there at attention and when the lights came on the crowd went crazy and we feed off of it. Loved that 72 Des Plaines show one of my favorites of all time from them that and the 69 show

Hey Leo--I didn't get to DCI till '73 with DP Vanguard--the corp had fallen apart by then and we took 20th but I remember staying at Whitewater and watching Bridgemen rehearse--man those sopranos knocked me out---dut digadadigada etc. deal in your opener is remembered to this day! We got about twenty people to sing it perfectly--triple tongue and all at a Men of Brass function about 2 years ago. The guy that started it off was dude named Cisco--you should remember him as the Blue Stars soloist in the early 70's. Bad A##. He just said Bridgemen--1 2 3 4 and everyone kicked it at once!! Funny as heel! Quite the moment!!! Must be nice to be remembered after all these years.