Can we say goodbye to ABSE tonight?

Why don't we have all of the music produced in the pits, and just have people on the field doing drill only, making pictures. It will make it so much easier to execute drill, and play music.

And of course, this just could be the ultimate destination down the road. Also, bear in mind that people who like and support change at every turn, would be completely ok with this., and would tell others to simply " stop complaining ", because as they've told us " change is inevitable ".

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does play the solo into the mic. It didn't bug me much - it's legal this year and I'm surprised more corps didn't try it.

I have been pro-electronics since the idea first came up....but the miking of brass players REALLY bothers me.

Fran

So in Allentown on Friday night I happened to look to my left during a portion of a top contenders show and saw 16 contras/tubas advancing in an echelon to the sideline from about the 20 towards me at the 40.

I was impressed with the nice low bass note they struck as an "introduction" to the next number when I saw them turn around and head backfield but the volume and tone of their note never changed. Which was when I realized they might not have even been playing. The sound was coming from some contraption buried in the pit.

But here I thought I was at a "drum corps" show. Silly me. Eighty horns on the field, 16 tubas being "featured", and one guy/gal with their finger on a button overpowered them all.

A little later (while all the "marchers" on the field were going through some pretty amazing maneuvers backfield) my attention was drawn to the pit where the 12 xylophones, marimbas and other assorted percussion instruments were carrying the tune. A measure or two into this feature I realized this entire collection of modern glockenspiels were competing to be heard with some other guy or girl clanking away on a "piano" no less. And was that a bass guitar I heard in the background?

Somehow I'm thinking were going to have to change the name of this activity.

Please, DCI........

Once reeds and flutes get added to the mix next year or the year after, can you please pass a motion to change the name to something more appropriate?

The tubas/contras have almost ALWAYS been doubled by something in the pit: low octave of marimba, timpani, etc. Big impact points have also always been enhanced by big concert bass drums. If none of that has bugged you (obviously the 'wall of sound' has been enhanced by percussion for a long time), why electronics?

I think it's very easy to be annoyed by something when you know it's going to be there, and you already don't like it. For example, it seems like just about every corps does a rotating, expanding/contracting box in their show. It now feels trite to me, and every time I see a corps do it I roll my eyes and look for it to be dirty so I can have another reason in my mind to not like the drill move ("ugh, I can't believe they're doing that move too: and it's not even clean" -rolls eyes).

If you're already a proponent of electronics, it's natural to be extremely more annoyed every time you hear electronics used.

Know that it's only natural for corps arrangers/designers to add in synth because they want 1) more low end and 2) more volume. They're going to use as many loud sounds at their disposal.

And they're going to double brass parts so the visual designer can stage anyone anywhere for maximum effect. Tubas a little bit too far for that important F phrase to be effective? Just double it in the synth. It's going to happen, and it will continue to happen.

How about this: if you like the brass, percussion, guard, visual package, etc, why not focus on liking those things and try to ignore the synth parts?

I know it's weird, and it's taken some time for me to not be too annoyed with it (doubling brass parts on synth). But it's a part of drum corps and it's more than likely not going away.

I think the long range plan here is to replace the natural brass sound with all synthetic brass, and eventually percussion. All music will be generated directly from the pit.

This will free-up seventy, or more, spots that can then be used to put one huge color guard on the field.

Think of it ... 150 flags/rifles/sabres/dancers in any combination. All visual effect, all the time.

It's Genius!

So just the use of electronics doubling the low brass part on one phrase completely ruined a 13 minute show?!?!

The show, up to the final hit is great. The hit, to my ears, not so great.

Quoting another poster, it's bush league.

And of course, this just could be the ultimate destination down the road. Also, bear in mind that people who like and support change at every turn, would be completely ok with this., and would tell others to simply " stop complaining ", because as they've told us " change is inevitable ".

And, of course, this (and the comment that you're replying to) is such an asinine statement it's ridiculous. Do you really believe that it's possible that corps directors (most of whom are brass players) would do away with marching/playing to put it all in the pit?!?!

No? Just hyperbole/rhetoric strawman argument to try and prove a weak point about YOUR dislike for electronics?

Thought so... :tongue:

Did I see a BD baritone soloist play into a microphone in the pit?

Yes, you did.

I'll never understand why somebody from THAT hornline requires a microphone to be heard.

sadly it's not going away. remember, DCI now follows the trends of BOA...including the same stadium.....so there wont be any reduction of this, instead, probably even more