Can we say goodbye to ABSE tonight?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with the OP.

Example : SCV - final hit. low brass patch. Why bother having a tuba section.

SCV has a fantastic show. Then destory it, for me at least, with the cheesey keyboard crap.

Most noticeable where SCV, Crown, Blue Devils and Cadets. Did I see a BD baritone soloist play into a microphone in the pit? Bad choices. I like the added colors available to be used, but doubling the hornline book should be an artistic license thing that pit arrangers do away with. Why don't we have all of the music produced in the pits, and just have people on the field doing drill only, making pictures. It will make it so much easier to execute drill, and play music.

Most noticeable where SCV, Crown, Blue Devils and Cadets. Did I see a BD baritone soloist play into a microphone in the pit? Bad choices. I like the added colors available to be used, but doubling the hornline book should be an artistic license thing that pit arrangers do away with. Why don't we have all of the music produced in the pits, and just have people on the field doing drill only, making pictures. It will make it so much easier to execute drill, and play music.

I just had a vision of a wonderful "if I was marching, here's what I would do..." hypothetical. Mind you this is totally bravado driven. If I was marching now, I would try out to be the keyboard/sound effet player in the pit. I would do my job as requested all year. But, then at finals, I would pull a fast one and just sit there and play nothing unless it was a separate voice than the brass or acoustic percussion. I would consider myself a hero.

No offense meant to any of the keyboard players in any of the corps. Its not your fault, that you were asked to play someone else's part.

Edited by jplattSCV

I saw that also. He finished his solo and then adjusted the microphone. Its possible that he was doing just that, adjusting the microphone, but it sure looked like he had been playing into it before. That is super weak.

Totally agree with the OP.

Example : SCV - final hit. low brass patch. Why bother having a tuba section.

SCV has a fantastic show. Then destory it, for me at least, with the cheesey keyboard crap.

So just the use of electronics doubling the low brass part on one phrase completely ruined a 13 minute show?!?!

I saw that also. He finished his solo and then adjusted the microphone. Its possible that he was doing just that, adjusting the microphone, but it sure looked like he had been playing into it before. That is super weak.

He does play the solo into the mic. It didn't bug me much - it's legal this year and I'm surprised more corps didn't try it.

That's why I choose DCA. Where we do things the all-natural way that the drum corps gods intended.

Tubas (yeah...we still call 'em contras) should be near suffocation after blowing their bells off to fill the stadium with sound at the end of the show. NOT sitting on the ground or prancing with the color guard during the biggest "low brass" hits.

So just the use of electronics doubling the low brass part on one phrase completely ruined a 13 minute show?!?!

It doesn't ruin it for me, but it does cheapen it. I like hearing synth piano and synth sound effects and such in the show, but I don't like it when it gets to a point where a snyth is blasting double-octave low-pitch notes so loudly that I can't even hear the tubas.