What's happened to The Cavaliers?

The corps ahead of them all had amazing musical productions. Cavies, not so much. I do not think the drill design was as good as previous years. I think it has something to do with the fact that sometimes, show ideas that are great ideas on paper, sometimes become difficult to make happen on the field. Phantom is a good example of this. I think the theme that Cavies used this year was too limiting for them, and painted them into a corner. With the staff changes, it will be interesting to see what happens. Could they be looking for a new identity now? Can SCV?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on what your taste is. I actually thought Cavies were producing sounds with their brass that I have never heard before. I think they were still unique and I rather enjoyed their visual program as well.

Someone had to be forth and oh well if it was Cavies this year then so be it. It was a tough top 5 this year and whatever place I'm sure they are thrilled to walk away with a 96.15, that's only 3.85 away from perfect right?

Congrats to all the finalist, been watching drum corps for over 20 years now and this year was certainly one of the best I can remember! I can only hope next year corps can improve on what they delivered this year!

IMO, they should be very happy with 4th, as they arguably could have been fifth. The Cavaliers effect formula is becoming somewhat generic, cliche, trite, and very predictable. Now, don't get me wrong. They were very good this year. They're an excellent drum corps that played, marched, spun, and drummed, very well. No weaknesses, other than too much adherence to an old formula that resulted in a show that lacked creative authenticity and meaning at an emotional level.

I think it's been trite since about 2005, personally. But, championship shows don't have to be groundbreaking or all that special (*ahem*), but they do have to execute, and they've had execution consistency problems, at least on the judges sheets, since after 2006.

I got to see Cavaliers this year twice (Toledo and Indy). They are still the Cavaliers. I don't think anything is wrong. You can't stay on the "mountain" forever. This happened to SCV, Garfield, and BD back in the day after they had won a number of championships. But keep in mind, as others have said, that 4th place is good. It's not a bad thing. The Blue Devils placed 4th six out of seven years between 1987 - 1993. This didn't kill them. In fact, they had some great shows in there, and the corps was thriving and doing well. They have come back strong, but placement is of little value to most things these corps do during the year (recruit, practice, bingo, manage, other fundraisers, plan, create, etc.).

So the Cavaliers take 4th. I'd say that's pretty darn good. Last year Cadets took 5th and I heard people say things like "5th for them is bad." Well, no it's not. 5th is still 5th. Sometimes I think you have to judge a show based on where they started and ended. The Cavaliers started with a package that I felt would be tough to project to the crowd. I said after Toledo that they could be looking at 4th or 5th this year. People thought I was nuts. BUt I didn't use 4th or 5th as a way of saying that those are bad placements or that the Cavaliers should be ridiculed for ending up in 4th or 5th. I said that because I felt we may have 3 or 4 corps better this year. After seeing Carolina Crown at the show before I saw Cavaliers, I knew Crown had some serious stuff in that show. I knew Cadets were just incredible. I knew BD would be strong as usual. You just begin to do the math.

To me, the Cavaliers made amazing progress with that show all season. I thought it was OK at Toledo. I started to really like it come San Antonio, and I really enjoyed it at Atlanta and Indy. And I loved their guard this year. The ending of the show with guard integration is total goosebumps.

4th should be celebrated on any year, not just 2009. Don't let your competitive ego beat you up and then use that as a reason to belittle the placement and those above. In an era where more people seem to be calling for new faces in the top 5, top 3, well we got our wish this year, and Carolina Crown became a new face. But we must accept that when those new faces appear that some old faces will be moved down the ladder a bit.

Edited by jwillis35

I find it amusing that when a dominant corps places lower than what has been their usual, it's somehow a mysterious and sudden failure on the part of that corps, yet has nothing to do with the success of the corps that topped them.

Something to think about, anyway.

Great season, everybody!

Stef

Heres my take on it

In the early part of this decade, cavaliers set the bar with some ridiculous drill design. However, they often did not play during the more challenging elements. The competition always came down to whether cavaliers superior visual could be overcome by a superior musical show. (or perhaps a less demanding visual with a much cleaner show in the case of BD)

Fast forward to today. A lot of corps are marching drill as difficult as cavaliers. However, now theyre doing that AND doing what they always did well, and in addition, playing through all of the high demand marching. If cavaliers are not to be left behind, they need to sustain their visual program, and build musically (and play during high demand moments). Crown and Cadets both showed this last night, cadets in their last couple minutes, and crown during their non-stop show.

Edited by alarson83