What's happened to The Cavaliers?

Cavies are always one of my favorite corps. This years show was great, but I am not sure musically or visually it was quite up to what they have put on the field in previous years. Add to that the fact that the top 5 were probably the best in the history of DCI, and 4th isn't that bad. There are tons of corps who would have loved to place 4th. And when you look at it, they were still in contention for a championship this year going into finals week. While most people had Blue Devils as a lock, you can still never quite count out Cavaliers.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if we are just entering a period with the trend shifting away from their type of show right now, as they don't seem to be noticeably lower in quality than they were when they were winning. Stuff goes in an out of favor. In the late 80's-early 90's theatrical was big, then stuff went abstract and dissonant for several years, then sort of dry technicality came into fashion, and they totally ruled with that.

Now we are getting into a stage with lots of melody and emotion-filled shows, and I'm not sure they've quite jumped on that bandwagon yet. It seems this year was a start in that direction, as they didn't do original music, but it seemed a lot of people weren't overly moved by what they were doing.

I'm sure they are taking note and will come up with something that perhaps reaches audiences more, while staying true to their "machine" image.

It seems to me that Cadets threw down a huge gauntlet this year in how much is possible in a show. While they didn't win, though apparently were only kept out of second by the sudden drums disaster, they really, really marched and played a tremendous amount, and I wonder if more corps will start to follow suit, as it seems unlikely they will let up next year.

Watching the Cavaliers for the last few years I've just had this overwhelming feeling of "I've seen this all before"

The new car smell of the Cavaliers formula has worn off

My sentiments exactly.

Watching the Cavaliers for the last few years I've just had this overwhelming feeling of "I've seen this all before"

DING DING DING! TELL HIM WHAT HE'S WON! :doh:

Someone near me said it well, "Doesn't it feel like they just took all the drill from the past few years and mixed the sheets up?"

That, on top of anticlimactic music, the very old gimmicks would be enough to do it. The staff change is the biggest reason, though. I would place monetary bets that SCV's and the Cavaliers' scoring relationship is inverse for some time. SCV will be top 4, if not 3, next year.

This is the best general response, I feel, at least with regard to the fans. When what The Cavaliers were doing was new and exciting and mind-blowing they had a much larger rabid fanbase. They were the darlings of DCI. Fast forward a few years when what they're doing now is the norm, or the base standard, it becomes harder to wow people. Thus, they have fans that still tremendously respect the corps and want them to do well, but just aren't as rabid about it and aren't as enthralled with the product year in and year out.

Programming tastes go in phases, and DCI seems to be entering a phase that is a hybrid of past phases, which makes it harder to nail down the right combination of things to do to win it all.

I was impressed at the top 5 scores last night - all scored above 95!

1 Blue Devils 99.050

2 Carolina Crown 97.500

3 Holy Name Cadets 97.200

4 The Cavaliers 96.150

5 Santa Clara Vanguard 95.650

The top 3 corps scored above a 97. I'm just throwing this off the top of my head but I think that's the highest 3rd place score in DCI history.

I did not feel the hornline of the Cavaliers were up to par this year. I think some of it was the book that was written for them. The trumpets also had a very bright sound in my opinion. They also did not seem to have the power of some of the other corps. I will say though that the pit was great as always and the different colors of sounds that they producded were th ebets in DCI this year. Still, it was a great show that I enjoyed. I think the top five all had championship shows.

I was impressed at the top 5 scores last night - all scored above 95!

1 Blue Devils 99.050

2 Carolina Crown 97.500

3 Holy Name Cadets 97.200

4 The Cavaliers 96.150

5 Santa Clara Vanguard 95.650

The top 3 corps scored above a 97. I'm just throwing this off the top of my head but I think that's the highest 3rd place score in DCI history.

Lol....the last time cadets got 3rd, they were also above 97....and that was a minor miracle to us at the time...