Indianapolis, Vol. 1

Madison :doh:

I attended DCI at Madison in 1985 and 1987. It was hot and humid (like most places east of the Rockies). I vote for Denver. If the event has to be held in the Midwest, what about Ohio Stadium in Columbus? Or the brand new stadium of the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis? That venue has tons of open space in the neigborhood for warm ups.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And what was so bad about Arrowhead Stadium that we never went back? I loved Kansas City.

Would be happy with Boulder/Denver too.

Edited by DCIHasBeen

And what was so bad about Arrowhead Stadium that we never went back? I loved Kansas City.

i think it went back to natural turf. plus...right after that, didnt DCI release their never ended up happening rotation of such stellar places of Jackson, East lansing etc?

Like the curtain as it gives the venue a more intimate (if such a word can be used for a gigantic building) feel, almost like a theater setting.

That is a huge problem with the venue, in my opinion. It does not feel like you are watching drum corps, it feels like you are in a theater or Opera House or something to that effect.

Worst sound at finals, ever.

Flattest performances, and crowd at finals I have ever seen or heard.

Dumbest, most WGI-y, immature entrance to the field for scores. This alone was enough to make me want to leave the stadium immediately. This is not WGI, BOA, etc. This is Drum Corps. Turn off f'ing 'Lady GaGa' and let the corps enter the field without smoke effects and horrid pop music echoing all of the place.

I think it would be safe to say that if we rotated between Madison and Denver, we would all be very happy.

Kansas City was a great stadium but natural turf pretty much puts it off limits for August with NFL season opening so close at hand. Denver would be good. Close enough to Tempe.

I think it would be safe to say that if we rotated between Madison and Denver, we would all be very happy.

i actually would be ok with a return to Buffalo too, tho I know others wouldn't.

You assume too much.

Edited by mchromik

I just got back, worst finals ever (I've been to over 25)

sound was bad

sound was really bad all 3 nights, up high and down low

had to ditch one of my seats near the aisle as view was blocked by glass

seats were wide and well padded but the sound was really bad

when I went to the 600 level to see semis - noticed they were pumping the amps through the house sound, so you heard the din and rumble from the field below and then the synths from above your head -freaking sucked, BK’s shiver noise was so loud, how the heck did they judge ensemble like that? when I went below again for finals I noticed the amps coming through the speaker stack hanging in the middle from the roof...beyond yuck

sound was really bad

DCI lied to me -I asked them some questions at their both and was told it was the stadium that decided on the roof

town and hotel were fine

they moved 'the lot' far away, had to take a shuttle bus to a park if you wanted to see it, I never saw it

souvie area was very far away, only walked through it once because it was so removed, save me from buying anything...yep. I didn't buy a single thing from them mainly due to location but also if the corps are DCI and DCI thinks this is fine, screw them, screw them all

retreat was the worst ever, from the stupid smoke machines to the bad video montage with Coldplay blasting, Blue Devils score got booed btw

crowd was the rudest ever for finals week, no usher for quarter or semis, people up and down though out shows, had to kick people out of my seats several times, once they got mad at me, cell phones going off, one even answered and talked through Cavies....baby crying during finals a few rows back...as crappy as the sound was you could hear everything in the seats around you, way too much in fact

could hear the air conditioner blowers when they were cranking and the corps were at soft parts -wrecked SCV semis run for me as they were really bad up high but you could still hear them in the 200/300 level, just add more to the never ending rumble

the crowd was dead, no energy what so ever

food sucked, when ever you bought a pop or water they kept the cap, my water was kick over 2 times, don’t trust the cup holders

basically, the stadium overwhelmed the corps, anyone that thinks the sound was good or even acceptable is telling me they either work for DCI, are deaf or they don’t really have an ear at all and are looking at the pretty flags.....phrasings, attacks, releases, articulation were ruined as well as music ensemble

bring me the head of Dan Acheson

good luck if you want to hear the battery because you won't, if you watch drums you might as well stay home.....just noise, not even dynamics really...just awful

as one corps went off to a single bass drum hit, I could count a 2 second delay and 7 repeats

the roar/ rumble caused ear fatigue, almost like being in an airplane, gave me a headache on day 2 - it sounded better with ear plugs as it cut some of the back ground crap but that made the brass even more quite - never got that brass punch in the chest I look for...never

as for next year...well, I’m not re-upping my friends of DCI membership (I’m at a high level too) and I won’t buy the five pack...4 out of the six of us won’t go back there ever...me and another are on the fence, might just hit finals as it only a 3 hour drive and I can pick up a ticket at the door but the way I feel now, even that’s doubtfull...so out of our group, DCI just lost about 6K, hope they can afford it

these are just my first thoughts, I'm tired and still bitter at how they ruin their own product, more later

overall, I want my money back, worst finals ever

I just got back, worst finals ever (I've been to over 25)

sound was bad

sound was really bad all 3 nights, up high and down low

had to ditch one of my seats near the aisle as view was blocked by glass

seats were wide and well padded but the sound was really bad

when I went to the 600 level to see semis - noticed they were pumping the amps through the house sound, so you heard the din and rumble from the field below and then the synths from above your head -freaking sucked, BK’s shiver noise was so loud, how the heck did they judge ensemble like that? when I went below again for finals I noticed the amps coming through the speaker stack hanging in the middle from the roof...beyond yuck

sound was really bad

DCI lied to me -I asked them some questions at their both and was told it was the stadium that decided on the roof

town and hotel were fine

they moved 'the lot' far away, had to take a shuttle bus to a park if you wanted to see it, I never saw it

souvie area was very far away, only walked through it once because it was so removed, save me from buying anything...yep. I didn't buy a single thing from them mainly due to location but also if the corps are DCI and DCI thinks this is fine, screw them, screw them all

retreat was the worst ever, from the stupid smoke machines to the bad video montage with Coldplay blasting, Blue Devils score got booed btw

crowd was the rudest ever for finals week, no usher for quarter or semis, people up and down though out shows, had to kick people out of my seats several times, once they got mad at me, cell phones going off, one even answered and talked through Cavies....baby crying during finals a few rows back...as crappy as the sound was you could hear everything in the seats around you, way too much in fact

could hear the air conditioner blowers when they were cranking and the corps were at soft parts -wrecked SCV semis run for me as they were really bad up high but you could still hear them in the 200/300 level, just add more to the never ending rumble

the crowd was dead, no energy what so ever

food sucked, when ever you bought a pop or water they kept the cap, my water was kick over 2 times, don’t trust the cup holders

basically, the stadium overwhelmed the corps, anyone that thinks the sound was good or even acceptable is telling me they either work for DCI, are deaf or they don’t really have an ear at all and are looking at the pretty flags.....phrasings, attacks, releases, articulation were ruined as well as music ensemble

bring me the head of Dan Acheson

good luck if you want to hear the battery because you won't, if you watch drums you might as well stay home.....just noise, not even dynamics really...just awful

as one corps went off to a single bass drum hit, I could count a 2 second delay and 7 repeats

the roar/ rumble caused ear fatigue, almost like being in an airplane, gave me a headache on day 2 - it sounded better with ear plugs as it cut some of the back ground crap but that made the brass even more quite - never got that brass punch in the chest I look for...never

as for next year...well, I’m not re-upping my friends of DCI membership (I’m at a high level too) and I won’t buy the five pack...4 out of the six of us won’t go back there ever...me and another are on the fence, might just hit finals as it only a 3 hour drive and I can pick up a ticket at the door but the way I feel now, even that’s doubtfull...so out of our group, DCI just lost about 6K, hope they can afford it

these are just my first thoughts, I'm tired and still bitter at how they ruin their own product, more later

overall, I want my money back, worst finals ever

no surprises here. I could have predicted this post from you.