Indianapolis, Vol. 1

I had no experience with Indy except for the Fan Network Semifinals webcast. I just wanted to make one thing clear:

PLEASE TELL DCI HOW YOU FELT ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH INDIANAPOLIS/LUCAS OIL STADIUM

From what I understand, DCI has the option of breaking it's multi-year deal after this season (as in now). If Friends of DCI, other donors, or even regular fans overwhelmingly express their dissatisfaction with the venue, perhaps DCI will rethink the deal.

It seems like from a business sense this is great for DCI. But if a majority of the fans were unhappy with the experience and compelled to not return, maybe DCI will change course.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no experience with Indy except for the Fan Network Semifinals webcast. I just wanted to make one thing clear:

PLEASE TELL DCI HOW YOU FELT ABOUT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH INDIANAPOLIS/LUCAS OIL STADIUM

From what I understand, DCI has the option of breaking it's multi-year deal after this season (as in now). If Friends of DCI, other donors, or even regular fans overwhelmingly express their dissatisfaction with the venue, perhaps DCI will rethink the deal.

It seems like from a business sense this is great for DCI. But if a majority of the fans were unhappy with the experience and compelled to not return, maybe DCI will change course.

I am sure they are getting emails galore, and may even predict some type of public response on the site once they get back in to the office.

I'm curious:

For those of you that went to BOA Finals (gasp: not marching band talk here :tongue: ), was the experience any different? Did the larger-sized marching bands make a difference in sound? Did the marching bands seem to adapt to the environment than the first time newbies of DCI?

PLEASE refrain from the "marching band sucks, blah blah blah" stuff. I'm really curious to know if the marching bands, who have been in Indy forever (different stadium, I know, but similar experience) and might be more adept to a domed finals, fared than the DCI corps. Perhaps DCI designers/staffers have learned what does/doesn't work for LOS, and thinks will be significantly better in the next couple of years.

By the way, interesting fact a colleague of mine told me (that may or may not be exaggerated): apparently a lot of BOA schools do not marching tenor lines because their tone/frequency gets lost in the mix. A colleague of mine who teaches percussion and takes his school to BOA annually mentioned this, and I've heard other instructors do this as well. I guess what I'm thinking is, maybe the BOA schools who go consistently have the acoustics and design stuff dialed in to be maxed out only at Lucas Oil (and/or whatever the old stadium was called). Perhaps once the DCI designers get a better feel for what works and what doesn't arranging wise, instrumentation wise, visual design wise, etc, the LOS will be substantially better. While most of the top staffers teach/direct/write/arrange/and design for BOA schools already, there's a HUGE difference acoustically to an all-brass and percussion ensemble vs. full instrumentation marching bands. I bet most of these designers now know the differences acoustically between band/drum corps in terms of what will be most effective in LOS for the future.

no surprises here. I could have predicted this post from you.

And I could predict that many will stand next to DCI and thumb their collective noses at him as he walks away with his 6 large. Maybe we can run a fog machine for him to walk out through, to make it a little more dramatic for everyone.

I am sure they are getting emails galore, and may even predict some type of public response on the site once they get back in to the office.

Awesome. I just want to get the word out to everyone that (I think) DCI has an out-clause in their contract after their first finals, and I would love for everyone who went to give them feedback so they can make decisions that will be best for the organization/activity.

Awesome. I just want to get the word out to everyone that (I think) DCI has an out-clause in their contract after their first finals, and I would love for everyone who went to give them feedback so they can make decisions that will be best for the organization/activity.

hell they already hit my card for next year an i emailed them and told them i wasnt looking forward to it and predicted if it was as bad as i am reading, they may ban me for life :tongue:

And I could predict that many will stand next to DCI and thumb their collective noses at him as he walks away with his 6 large. Maybe we can run a fog machine for him to walk out through, to make it a little more dramatic for everyone.

let's just be fair here....there were some good things about the weekend...and my six large can replace him perhaps.

Also, as someone was asking...I think it's easier for BOA to have the roof open.

I didn't think it was all that bad. indy is an awesome city with lotts of good food and plenty to do. the staadium was beautiful. granted the acoustics could have been a little better - 1 cutain and an open roof. but fact of the matter is dci signedan agrreement for it to be here for 9 more years. and like you said its not WGI or BOA. I'm not going to boycot world championships becaause of a venue. I'm not going to miss out on these amazing performances because the very first yr it was there had some rough edges. I'm looking forward to going back next yr and seeing it again that's for sure