Indianapolis, Vol. 1

There's gonna be some impactless shows in outdoor venues a couple of years from now let me tell you.

All the corps tried to sell their shows, but the sound prevented them from being able to fully connect with the audience. That's a major fail.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to suggest to you to do something you're not going to like to do. I'm suggesting you look up some Indiana marching bands. Yes, marching bands. State Finals has been held in an indoor facility since the RCA Dome opened in the mid 80s. State Finalist bands play effectively outdoors and indoors. There are slightly different design considerations taken into account, such as in ballads after "the big moment" that there are a few counts of rest added in to let the echo of the chords die away before continuing.

I've gotten used to indoor stadiums after having been to ISSMA State Finals and BOA GN. You have to listen differently. It's not outside. There are echoes.

All that being said, I liked the curtain in the back. It looked great and did it's job of absorbing/deflecting some sound back to the fans. The temp was great inside. I enjoyed myself greatly and will be back for Finals next year.

I've marched and taught in a marching band for 20 years! From the APDs quiet sound didn't activate the rumble, which would suit marching bands with clasinets etc. Big sound was ok as you could wait for echo to subside. But, the kind of loud n fast stuff? Mud - listen to Crown's Church Windows segment. Clear as a bell all summer and now muddy as hell. The only option is to quieten it all down.

Don't know what the story was with the front being so loud - why turn em up if the corps sound muddy?

So that gives us loud and sustained or quiet as our volume levels.

All the corps tried to sell their shows, but the sound prevented them from being able to fully connect with the audience. That's a major fail.

Honestly my take is this:

I was sitting in the audience for Semis and Finals and I heard big time connection with the audience and lots of cheering and appreciation from the audience.

I think that from the audience perspective (at least from mine...), I found myself waiting to hear the full dissipation of the chords because they sounded so AWESOME ringing in the stadium. Then I clapped.

Finals night was much different. The sound was much more live that night (probably because there were so many more people there to soak up sound waves) and the audience reaction was much more immediate.

crowd was the rudest ever for finals week, no usher for quarter or semis, people up and down though out shows, had to kick people out of my seats several times, once they got mad at me, cell phones going off, one even answered and talked through Cavies....baby crying during finals a few rows back...as crappy as the sound was you could hear everything in the seats around you, way too much in fact

If you mean Sec 239...that baby was right behind me on finals night. The BD alum sitting next to me was about to literally toss that baby during the 1st hit of the BD show.

I think it would be safe to say that if we rotated between Madison and Denver, we would all be very happy.

This gets my vote!!!!!!

I loved the comfort of LOS BUT the sound quality.....while better than at the Georgia Dome and old RCA Dome...... was not so great. WHY did they not try it with the roof open?

Besides, can there ever be a perfect location for this event?

Yes, Aloha Stadium. :tongue:

I spoke with a couple kids who marched about how it was for them to hear and they said this was the best dome they've performed in all year (Atlanta and SanAntonio being the other two).

I sat in several different sections. Quarterfinals acoustics were awful, Semifinals were awful, and Finals were so so. I think the extra bodies on finals night really helped.

I actually enjoyed Indianapolis. Perhaps because I spent a great deal of time with friends and getting to know other drum corp enthusiasts. There were plenty of great places to eat and several to get an adult beverage.

Of course for some of my entertainment I found out where corps were rehearsing and drove to see them.

Probably my favorite pastime at finals is talking to the kids when they come back into the stadium area and congratulating them. They get such a big smile when an old lady gives them a high five. Now...that is FUN!

Here's what I did:

-Went Thursday to quarterfinals. Though it was comfortable and since we were fairly close (section 241, which we ordered the night before), the acoustics were fine. I could hear the boom, but it wasn't annoying to me in those seats.

-Thursday night we drove up to Chicago for Lollapalooza which always, always, falls the same weekend as dci finals, for some reason. We just got back from the last show and it was amazing! For the value, this is the way to go. Quarters + 3 days of Lollapalooza (130 bands) is a great package. Why spend $150 on finals tickets when you can get 3 nights of lollapalooza for $50 more?

It's the way to go :)

For example, did the sound improve with more fans in the stands?

The sound was good where I sat (50 yard line, down low)

Did you feel you paid way to much for your seat location?

No, I bought the DCI Fence Sitter package and got two tickets for Semis and Finals and a nice downtown hotel room for two nights, all for less than 500 dollars!

Did you like the back curtain?

Loved it! It made the field feel like one giant stage and not just some random football field.

Was the temperature inside comfortable, seats wide enough, etc.

Temperature was great considering that it was 90+ degrees outside. The seats were very comfortable (padded bottom and back). Much better than the Rose Bowl or IU's stadium.

Did you have enough post-show opportunities to unwind, like adult beverages and food within walking distance?

YES! But I wish I had more time to try everything Indy has to offer (there's always next year, and the year after, and so on).

Your overall impression of the Indy downtown, vs. spending your time on a college campus?

I love downtown Indy. Many places to eat and things to do (although I spent most of my time "recovering" from the after show festivities in my hotel room)

Most importantly, are you anxious to return next year?

YES! Hopefully I'll be marching though (thank you bonus year)!

DCI, please fix retreat! My suggestion:

1. Corps file into their respective area while some group (Marine Corps D&B corps, Open Class Champs, or other designated group) plays something to keep everyone entertained. (15 min.)

2. Caption awards (and other stuff) are announced. (5 min)

3. Scores are announced. (5 min)

4. Each corps plays a 5 min. (or less) piece of music of their choosing. (77 min)

5. Corps leave while winning corps plays some parade beat or other music. The winning corps pit will also be setting up at this time. (15 min)

6. Winning corps performs final performance. (15 min)

Roughly 2 hours total (2.2 to be exact), so we'll start at 5:00 and be done by 11:30 as usual. There you have it, my dream finals!