Indianapolis, Vol. 1

I'm curious:

For those of you that went to BOA Finals (gasp: not marching band talk here :tongue: ), was the experience any different? Did the larger-sized marching bands make a difference in sound? Did the marching bands seem to adapt to the environment than the first time newbies of DCI?

PLEASE refrain from the "marching band sucks, blah blah blah" stuff. I'm really curious to know if the marching bands, who have been in Indy forever (different stadium, I know, but similar experience) and might be more adept to a domed finals, fared than the DCI corps. Perhaps DCI designers/staffers have learned what does/doesn't work for LOS, and thinks will be significantly better in the next couple of years.

Well I figured there would be negative comments galore this year. I have had my share. But most of us were told that the designers for DCI are designers for the same BOA shows we rip into on here. If these show designers have experience with BOA then why didn't they anticipate this stuff happening this year? Sure the stadium acoustics are different than the old Colts stadium but they are very similar.

I would expect finals to improve next year. Even though I didn't go, DCI will probably take some feedback and try to fix some things. Especially basic conveniences like warm up sites and where the souvie booths will be. The acoustics are probably going to be the same next year, its the corps that will have to adapt unfortunately.

Corps will now design their product with the Dome environment in mind just like EVERY BOA band does. It only makes sense , but I think the outdoor shows will suffer.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that what scares me...the mass majority of shows are outside....as such, they will suffer

let's just be fair here....there were some good things about the weekend...and my six large can replace him perhaps.

Also, as someone was asking...I think it's easier for BOA to have the roof open.

Not sure why that would be, and the discussion of BOA in a DCI thread is indicative of something in itself...

NO ONE has expressed anything better than grudging "acceptance" of the sound quality in the stands. Maybe that's why the slogan for this year was "Feel the Music", there was apparantly litttle concern for hearing it.

Ticket prices and seat locations, food prices, weather, parking and traffic are going to be considerations with any venue.

When accoustics take a back seat to anything, as related to the Championships for this activity, I fear DCI has lost it's way.

One issue that just P**sed me and everyone off around me ... Because of a NFL rule, the vendors would remove the bottle caps of sodas or water ... because we wouldn't throw the caps on the field!!!! THIS WAS A DCI Event! :tongue:

This isn't an Indy thing... at Foxboro Finals in 2005 they took the caps off everything as well.

It's because kids pressurize the bottle then stomp on them and the caps fly off. #### things fly a heck of a lot farther than you'd think.

Not sure why that would be, and the discussion of BOA in a DCI thread is indicative of something in itself...

NO ONE has expressed anything better than grudging "acceptance" of the sound quality in the stands. Maybe that's why the slogan for this year was "Feel the Music", there was apparantly litttle concern for hearing it.

Ticket prices and seat locations, food prices, weather, parking and traffic are going to be considerations with any venue.

When accoustics take a back seat to anything, as related to the Championships for this activity, I fear DCI has lost it's way.

BOA happens in November...not going to be 90 degrees plus in November in Indy.

But, let's see how things improve for next year. For one, I'll be in attendance so things are bound to improve.

This is so sad. If you really think a show should be designed with the dome in mind, then this activity, one I have loved since the late '70's, has deterioriated even more than I thought.

It is already bad enough that the scoring system puts too much weight on the show design. Designers should not be judged, the wonderful kids who perform should be judged.

Mike

no surprises here. I could have predicted this post from you.

So how did you like it? When an OP asks for opinions, and then people give them, and then you trash them......what exactly is the point? This person didn't like it, and gave some pretty detailed reasons why. I found it informative. You found it to be some sort of personal attack. Why?

This is so sad. If you really think a show should be designed with the dome in mind, then this activity, one I have loved since the late '70's, has deterioriated even more than I thought.

It is already bad enough that the scoring system puts too much weight on the show design. Designers should not be judged, the wonderful kids who perform should be judged.

Mike

SCV Brass Arranger Key Poulan's designer commentary on the Fan Network for the San Antonio show indicated that SCV's show this year was exactly that. Designed for the domes they would be competing in - and with Indy specifically in mind too. I think it was a sign that SCV's design team was actually thinking ahead and anticipating how the show would sound in these boomy venues. Especiallly with the final show - that is so important - being in a boomy dome.

While I understand that every show is not inside (the only times I got to see SCV were outside), I think you HAVE to take the "dome reverb" into consideration because so much hinges on a judges perception of the show. The guys in the green shirts are stuck in the dome trying to sort out the sound they are hearing - and the corps has to be taught how to play in that venue. And the show was brilliantly design for that... in my opinion.

BOA happens in November...not going to be 90 degrees plus in November in Indy.

But, let's see how things improve for next year. For one, I'll be in attendance so things are bound to improve.

Ah...I see, the temperature thing. Certainly we would rather be comfortable than be able to hear the music. How else could we possibly "feel" it? :tongue:

Some VERY excellent responses, so far!

I'm having second thoughts about using the terms "how bad was it"? Should have used " how good/bad was it", to be fair. I just found all of the past few days' negativity here troubling. Now that it's over, perhaps responses will be a little more predicated with

"All things considered . . . ."

Besides, can there ever be a perfect location for this event?

YES MADISON!!!!!!! CAMP RANDALL STADIUM!!!!