Indianapolis, Vol. 1

Hmm, I'm not sure the doubling of low brass was helping. In my APDs it seems to be masking the low brass sound completely.

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. You can't hear the low brass through the echo, so the "solution" is to play the parts in the keyboards. You can ALWAYS hear the keyboards, since the speakers are parked on the front sideline and conveniently located right under the mics.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. You can't hear the low brass through the echo, so the "solution" is to play the parts in the keyboards. You can ALWAYS hear the keyboards, since the speakers are parked on the front sideline and conveniently located right under the mics.

But, basically, that sucks. The synth sound doesn't blend well and you can hear where it takes over from the brass. So ugly sounding.

If you mean Sec 239...that baby was right behind me on finals night. The BD alum sitting next to me was about to literally toss that baby during the 1st hit of the BD show.

This happens every year (I may have started the thread after Bloomington).

There was a family with an infant a few rows in front of me. To their credit, whenever the baby started acting up, someone took him/her out of the area. That was the responsible way to handle it, but not everyone in attendance is responsible and it could have just as easily gone the other way.

The way to resolve this is fairly simple: require ALL attendees to have a ticket. Right now, kids under 3 are free if seated on an adult's lap.

The stadium is an unspeakable abomination, an acoustic pit of horrors.

Some have said the sound was "tolerable", "fair", "not that bad". For DCI's premier event, one that is meant to showcase the best that drum corps, nothing less than excellence is acceptable. It is unconscionable that DCI should accept less than excellence in its "permanent" home.

What is driving this? Is it money? DCI is not getting a price break on LOS, from what I understand. The "sweetheart" deal is not all that sweet. Is it comfort? Yes, the stadium is comfortable, but most fans would trade creature comforts for an ideal performance environment. Is it weather? Sure, we will not get rained out, but how many times has finals been rained on? Twice in my experience: 1993 and 2005 (delayed), and a near miss in Orlando in 2003.

Drum corps is an outdoor activity, at its best taking advantage of (and overcoming the limitations of) the great outdoors.

I shudder to think of the programming compromises that the corps will have to make to cope with the new era of indoor drum corps.

St. Cuthbert

I don't know how much DCI can change with the stadium, but I do know that they can tell Lucas Stadium officials to have more event staff on hand to stop people at the entrances to the seats when the corps on the field starts their show. I have never been at a show with so many people coming in and out during a performance, walking around the aisles, standing in the chutes talking, and constant talking and texting on their cell phones.

The rudeness of some people amazed me. The corps members of units that were not performing were making a game out of running to open seats during performances and then immediately calling or texting their friends to tell them where they were sitting. (I know, you are wearing a white wrist band so that allows you to do anything you want during a show.)

Next year I hope to see an event staff individual at each entrance allowing people in and out ONLY during breaks between performances.

No point in repeating all the comments about sound except to say that they are spot on.

Besides that, I really like Indy. The ability to walk to the stadium is priceless. Also having

Open class in the same venue is great. Bars are open late at night. That is important to me. :tongue:

I want to recommend two restaurants for everyone next year: Mikado (Japanese) & Vito's (Italian).

For good luck on Finals night, I ordered the shrimp diablo and tipped the waitress $13. :rock:

I had a great time and will be back next year.

Indy is a fine location. I don't really care about doing anything but drum corps during finals week, so no amount of museums, resturants or other attractions make much difference to me. I got to all five events at LOS. Stayed at the Hilton but won't next year. No wireless Internet in the rooms and $22/night parking are two of the main reasons. It was nice to walk to/from the stadium but that was about the only thing good about it.

The stadium is comfortable but overall I was not happy with the venue. My seats were in row 4, section 240, right on the 50. We did some moving around, but not much because we were in the middle of the row and it was hard to get in/out of the seats.

Sound - the sound was horrible in section 240. Worst I've experienced at any venue. I felt sick on Thursday thinking that my choices are to stop going to finals or deal with this every year. It was a little better later in the evening and week as more people were in the stands. Friday we didn't bother going to our seats at all and spent most of the time in 139/141 down low where the sound was pretty decent. Some of the echo was actually louder than the original note. I have no idea how the corps could be fairly judged in music effect. If there had been a percussion 2 judge upstairs, I think that job would have been impossible.

Seats - had a fairly tall person sitting right in front of me on Thursday, so a major section of the field was blocked. Nothing DCI can do about that, obviously, but it detracted from my enjoyment. Seats were comfortable but not a lot of room to move in/out. Seemed like more room in the lower level.

Security - Loved the relaxed security environment. Despite the messages about no large purses or back packs, no one bothered us when we walked in with a small suitcase my daughter's friend had since she slept over at our hotel and was meeting up with her parents. My daughter had a backpack all three nights. Would be nice if the controlled the moving around in the stadium a little more but I'll take this extreme over wannabe prison guards.

Food - overpriced and not that good but this is an NFL stadium so that is to be expected. I had been under the impression that the 200 level center sections would have separate concession areas like in Foxboro and Denver. That was not the case. We were sharing the main concession area with most of the 100 level. Too many people for that area to handle during breaks.

Aerobed - Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. I found their blow up tubes to be extremely annoying. As you come into the stadium, you hear that noise makers are prohibited. Then the first thing you run into is someone giving you a noise maker.

Pressbox - Disappointing pressbox area. Way at the top of the stadium with glass covering the viewing area from top to bottom, so the sound was piped in. Long/slow elevator ride to get there. Bloomington was much better.

Souvie area - good location for it but I could really have done without the loud rock music. I had to wait until they stopped playing before I could hear to interact with the souvie staff to buy something. When the music wasn't playing, it was pleasant.

Black curtain - if it helped the sound, then I guess is necessary but visually I didn't like it.

Retreat - Nice that the corps left so quickly this year. Thought the music and smoke effect was lame. Loved the video clips from all the corps. Missed having all the corps play something together.

Will I be back? Yes but not because of the venue, rather in spite of it. I really enjoy the corps, both open and world. Now that my son has aged out, I'm looking forward to being a regular fan again.

With all these issues everyone has, I hope you are also writing to DCI with your concerns. I know I sent mine in.

I'm sure the Powers That Be monitor these boards as well.

But in addition to writing DCI, write/call your favorite corps director. If a change will be made, it will be due to pressure from within.