OK, BD, you are kicking everyone's butt! Now, can we have some

BD is redefining the activity again much like Cavies did up until 06.

Is there a way they can become a fan favorite again by playing tunes again and still win? I think it would be great for everyone to love the Blue Devils again for what they play, as well as admiring them for being so great at the same time.

Those kids don't deserve boos like last night and surely BD can design a cutting edge show with music that just screams Blue Devils! :tongue:

I want to hear more developed musical lines from them and more complete tunes like they used to. It works for Crown, Phantom, SCV,etc? Let the fans hear you again and cheer!

What say you?

Screamers BD's haha well I know what would work, consistant screamers with some more jazzy shows, where they dont just play standing still or hardly moving, personally I like the the music they use its just they dont A) move very fast B) their not jazzy like they used to be...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you hear the crowd reaction at championships to the shows I mentioned vs. Blue Devils? Have you read all the comments on DCP all year long? Have you read reviews of every show this year which proclaimed that BD got less Crowd reaction than other top groups.... at almost every show across the country?

How could all of these things agree with each other, yet be wrong? I don't think my assessment was bold at all.... it's actually a pretty easy assessment to make.

Your assessment is completely driven by other people's personal biases and samples that are not an accurate representation of the drum corps community.

I'm not going to argue that you were wrong. Just that you supported your claim with examples that are neither effective or completely measurable.

Yes some of the visuals and musical features were cool, but much of the show just seemed to be isolated effects strewn together to create an 11 1/2 minute performance. The best way I can describe BD 2009 is a great drum corps show which has ADD.

:tongue:

This is exactly why I couldn't get into their show this year (or '07 and '08 for that matter). No musical development, especially form the hornline. Just a bunch of impacts put together. As far as the "fan friendly" issue I'll just offer this anecdote. I let a friend watch last years DVD (just Phantom and BD). He followed DCI back in the early mid 80's, but not so much since then. BTW, he is a trumpet player and has music degrees from North Texas, Houston, and UNCG including a doctoral degree in conducting, so he understands music. He watched Phantom and then only got halfway through BD before he shut it off. He said BD lost him musically and concept wise. That's what we mean when we say their recent shows aren't fan friendly. I personally liked their 2004 show and wouldn't have been upset if they had won, but '07 and '09.....eh let's just say they probably won't be added to my ipod.

I will add a quick side-note though, that no I didn't like their show this year, but I did give them props for performing the hell out of it.

What he said - ditto here. :tongue:

Blue Devils is a great organization, no doubt. Though their [perceived] arrogance upsets me at times, it's probably because they're so #### good every year. I probably wouldn't care otherwise.

I agree that BD was not my favorite this year, and I've watched them multiple times this season (Stanford, Pasadena, Indianapolis). I've been rooting for Holy Name Cadets, Carolina Crown, and Santa Clara Vanguard this year. I've also been rooting for Troopers, Bluecoats and Phantom Regiment as well.

Blue Devils performed the crap out of their show Finals night! Their show could have been an absolute snoozer (which it wasn't) and they still would have won. I couldn't find a mistake anywhere on the field (and trust me, I was looking).

All Blue Devils have to do from here is work on the audience appeal. When I heard the crowd "booooo" the Blue Devils at retreat I disagreed with that. True, I didn't jump up and down when they won, but I did respect what they put down on the field. The kids in the Blue Devils should not be "booed" for performing the crap out of a show that they had no say in designing. Respect the effort of every single corps and every single member out on that football field people! They ALL rehearse just as long.

Pee wee out! :blink:

Though their [perceived] arrogance upsets me at times

It's not perceived. Some of them really are arrogant. However, winning your 13th title with an undefeated season tends to make some people that way. Didn't like the show, but it is hard to argue with their performance. Both the A and B corps undefeated. Amazing.

BD is redefining the activity again much like Cavies did up until 06.

Is there a way they can become a fan favorite again by playing tunes again and still win? I think it would be great for everyone to love the Blue Devils again for what they play, as well as admiring them for being so great at the same time.

Those kids don't deserve boos like last night and surely BD can design a cutting edge show with music that just screams Blue Devils! :tongue:

I want to hear more developed musical lines from them and more complete tunes like they used to. It works for Crown, Phantom, SCV,etc? Let the fans hear you again and cheer!

What say you?

Blue Devils were booed at finals???

Your assessment is completely driven by other people's personal biases and samples that are not an accurate representation of the drum corps community.

I'm not going to argue that you were wrong. Just that you supported your claim with examples that are neither effective or completely measurable.

Okay.... maybe my examples are not measurable. What about this?

Out of every person I had direct, or indirect contact with (at a show, reading DCP, reviews, talking to friends, listening to audience reaction), the overwhelming majority were not as entertained by Blue Devils as the other top corps (with maybe the exception of Cavaliers). This is my own assessment of other people's opinions.

Anyway, forget how we can prove BD was entertaining or not.... If you agree that they were not as entertaining.... why was this?, and what can they do to fix it in the future? That is the discussion I would like to have.

Edited by Tez

Blue Devils were booed at finals???

Yes, they were. Very disrespectful of those that did so to, in my opinion. The Blue Devils didn't just waltz out on to that field and win, they put a lot of hours into their performance and that should NEVER be rewarded with "boos". Come on people, grow up, would ya? If you're upset with the judges or show designers, don't take it out on the performers who put their entire heart on that field for you.

I'm on the west coast and I could care less for BD this year... same with about 80% of the theater we saw quarterfinals in (In southern California).

Location has nothing to do with it. If my own corps put out a show that sucked, I would hate it.

Crowd went crazy for BD at the theater I was at here in Norcal

Did you hear the crowd reaction at championships to the shows I mentioned vs. Blue Devils? Have you read all the comments on DCP all year long? Have you read reviews of every show this year which proclaimed that BD got less Crowd reaction than other top groups.... at almost every show across the country?

How could all of these things agree with each other, yet be wrong? I don't think my assessment was bold at all.... it's actually a pretty easy assessment to make.

The corwds her in CA loved BD. BD never gets a lot of love in the Midwest or East because the fans want them to lose. My daughter marched in BD and they know they are going to get booed, but it just motivates them to work harder. There is a price you pay for being the most successful drum corps in the DCI era.