Fix Retreat

here is an idea for finals,

do something similiar to the Olympics, ALL corps attending finals march in, their respective song or part of it is played over the PA system as they enter, have the awards, allow picture time, then have all corps circle the field while the winner does the encore. then they can all mingle again, all corps participate just like in the Olympics

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a novel idea...why not have the corps go off in reverse order and play music, paying respect to the winning corps as they leave? They are there to compete and perform. Either DCI is going to start entertaining from start to finish or its doomed. Quit pampering these kids and start putting out a complete product.

do something similiar to the Olympics, ALL corps attending finals march in, their respective song or part of it is played over the PA system as they enter, have the awards, allow picture time, then have all corps circle the field while the winner does the encore. then they can all mingle again, all corps participate just like in the Olympics

How about we don't...

I agree with what you say.... It has turned into a slam bam thank you maam affair. Let the corps play themselves off the field rather than the unrelated blather that is being forced fed down our throats. Who are the ones responsible for the continuous departure from what this activity used to be.? forty % of the fans care who wins!, the other sixty are cheering for everyone, and are looking for the pagentry and show that retreat used to be. The parking lot seems to be the site of actual retreat these days. Bluecoats on the field without horns.. Who's idea was that?

what section were you in at finals? just curious.

Here's a novel idea...why not have the corps go off in reverse order and play music, paying respect to the winning corps as they leave? They are there to compete and perform. Either DCI is going to start entertaining from start to finish or its doomed. Quit pampering these kids and start putting out a complete product.

where were your seats in Indy?

my point would be here...

If you didn't bother going to Indy...what voice do you really have.

Now, if you were there and are not happy with retreat...the forum belongs to you. Also, members who participated in finals...this forum is yours as well.

What is evident to me is people who don't bother to go to finals trying to push their agenda when they don't go in the first place.

...Either DCI is going to start entertaining from start to finish or its doomed...

So you expect to be entertained from the moment you get out of your car when you arrive to when you get into your car to leave?

This might be cool if it were to include all participating corps at the opening ceremonies...but that would open a huge can of worms not worth dealing with since no one really attends this event , anyway (never mind the fact its currently ln Michigan City).

Now, if you were there and are not happy with retreat...the forum belongs to you. Also, members who participated in finals...this forum is yours as well.

What is evident to me is people who don't bother to go to finals trying to push their agenda when they don't go in the first place.

Well, I WAS THERE along with my family for two years staight and Indy wasn't even close compared to Bloomington with regard to how retreat was handled. Not to mention all the other DCIs I've been at going back to 1976. I agree with most of the post in this thread that DCI seems to be more concerned with making retreat more and more like either BOA or WGI in nature. Why can't a guard at WGI play itself on the field? Because they CAN'T. Drum corps CAN. I won't even go into the tradition part of retreat as DCI does not seem to care about honoring it's past but the point being is that DCI is losing it's drum corps identity not creating a new one. Go back to having a traditional retreat before it's too late. Oh and by the way my seat was section 139, row 10, seat 8.

Edited by KemoLondon

Tom I respectfully disagree with you on this one. This issue is not something new, its been growing over time and I think it is safe to say that this year it finally came to a head. They tried something different and it didn't work, and now DCI has it's back against a wall and needs to to something to fix it for the long term. Becuase this has been an issue for the past several years, I think this forum belongs to everyone. It will take action by the community to address these issues, not just the people who attended this past years show. It's difficult to know if someone is speaking from their experience this season, last season, or others. Regardless, we should all have a voice... well, maybe not ALL of us... lol

From every indication I have (since first authoring this thread) the board is discussing how to fix things. I have had some communication with a few DCI folks who have said there are some serious discussions internally about this and the sound issues at LOS. But before they announce what they are going to do, they need more time this fall to study solutions. From what I can ascertain, the sound issue is number one on their list. Give DCI a bit of a break, as it's probably going to take a few years to get all the kinks worked out with the new building. As for retreat, they are listening and I get the impression they know it sucked. I think by the spring we will here about how they plan on attacking these problems.