Will/has Crown's success impact Cadet's recruiting?

I marched both Crown and Cadets and I got my ### kicked a whole lot more at Crown.

At Cadets we worked harder towards being great than at Crown, but we got our ##### kicked a whole lot more at Crown.

Granted this was with a completely different staff at Crown and we were fighting to make finals not win championships.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know when I was deciding where to try out in '93, it was between Star and Cadets for me. Star had my favorite shows collectively, over the few years up to that, and I thought they were definitely on the cutting edge, but Cadets blew me away in '92 with 'To Tame the Perilous Skies', and based on that show, and the fact that it was easier for me to get to Jersey, I decided to go to Bergen County to try out, and marched there three years...

Do you think that Crown's great shows over the past 3 years, and competitive success will draw from would 'would have been' Cadet's talent?

Actually, this is already happening. I was told by a Crown staff member there were already kids (who were age-outs) at camps last year who previously marched Cadets. That tells you right there the winds shifted long before last night. I also think this happened partially because of the direction the Cadets shows have taken over the past 3 or 4 years.

With all of that said, with the essentially equal success of the Cadets this season compared to Crown, mixed with the powerful, engaging, crowd-friendly throwback to tradition show we all saw from the Cadets this year, we'll probably see about equal talent pools head to both.

The Cadets have a legacy, Crown has a great thing going. Both will be outstanding no matter what happens.

Actually, this is already happening. I was told by a Crown staff member there were already kids (who were age-outs) at camps last year who previously marched Cadets. That tells you right there the winds shifted long before last night. I also think this happened partially because of the direction the Cadets shows have taken over the past 3 or 4 years.

With all of that said, with the essentially equal success of the Cadets this season compared to Crown, mixed with the powerful, engaging, crowd-friendly throwback to tradition show we all saw from the Cadets this year, we'll probably see about equal talent pools head to both.

The Cadets have a legacy, Crown has a great thing going. Both will be outstanding no matter what happens.

Since this is an eastern coastal thread, I think we can add the Boston Crusaders to the mix of Corps now that will draw a good talent pool. There is a lot of positive " buzz " around the Boston Crusaders now that they have a new, young Corps Director in charge there that the recruits and marching members seem to really relate to from what I'm hearing. ( I think he's probably the youngest Corps Director in World Class DCI )

Edited by BRASSO

Marching members haven't been going to their local corps for a while now. Crown's success won't affect Cadets much more that it will Vanguard's or Pacific Crest.

Besides that, I'm willing to wager that more members have tried out for Crown than Cadets the past few years.

And even so, Phantom this year has proved that having more people try out doesn't always equal more success on the field in August.

Personally cadets turned me away when they did their narrating shows and with overuse of electronics, Crown does use em, I dont like it, but its very limited which makes me happier, still not happy, anyways, I love Crowns drill design more than the cadets, but the only thing that takes away my preference of Crown is the uncleanliness in the drill, I love everything, but atleast their cleanliness is getting alot better I will say, so in a few years I may go for them, if I can only afford to march one year I might as well march for the guys I love

I know when I was deciding where to try out in '93, it was between Star and Cadets for me. Star had my favorite shows collectively, over the few years up to that, and I thought they were definitely on the cutting edge, but Cadets blew me away in '92 with 'To Tame the Perilous Skies', and based on that show, and the fact that it was easier for me to get to Jersey, I decided to go to Bergen County to try out, and marched there three years...

Do you think that Crown's great shows over the past 3 years, and competitive success will draw from would 'would have been' Cadet's talent?

I think for the most part people choose to march a corps because of certain characteristics. I'd say most people who audition/march Cadets know the history, tradition, etc and are eager to be a part of that tradition. I think plenty of people will still want to be part of the Cadets tradition, and Cadets won't have any problems filling their ranks.

I also think that because of their success, and their great shows lately, Crown will not have any problems either.

The Cadets success has always been predicated by having a base of people willing to work unbelievably hard for nearly unattainable goals.

I find (at the ancient age of 40ish) that there are far fewer people every year in my life willing to work so selflessly and so hard. This seems to be the era of instant gratification, and of people looking for every possible shortcut to achieve the things they want.

I suspect that as the Cadets continue to put such a difficult show on the field that more and more people will gravitate to other corps whose path to success is perceived as easier.

And I suspect the Cadets will be just as happy not to have those kinds of people auditioning for their corps.

I wish difficulty was adequately represented on the judges' sheets. Even without that glariing omission, I thank the Cadets for their complex and layered performance.

Karen

Edited by kstein

Here's what I think..... and don't get me wrong, as you're probably mean well...... but if you are picking a Corps because you'd "rather be part of something a bit more relaxed ", then here's my prediction :

If that Corps picks you...... and several others with this relaxed preference attitude...... that Corps is GUARANTEED not to win a Title. This is my strongly held belief.

That said, best of luck with whatever you decide .

See..... Devils, Blue. :tongue:

I think next season is going to be a classic Cadets/Crown battle for the Championship, and probably for a few years to come. BD is losing quite a few kids to age-out (although they never have a difficult time reloading), but I'm not sure where Crown and Cadets stand. SCV is in real good shape if they can retain the kids. Staff retention is the bigger key for them. If they can keep the same staff in place for several years, they will become a serious contender also. I think we are in for some pretty competitive years ahead.