DCI finals review

Again, they weren't responded to as much by the clearly partisan Lucas Oil & Bloomington crowds. Period! California would have been the complete reverse, as it was in 2007. I was there cheering for a different corps and was floored by the response to BD. It's the reality that BD will face in the future as long as it's in Indiana and they are contending for the top spot. Which ain't changing soon, because they are not predisposed to self-destruct like other winners.

You are correct....it has nothing to do with BD being from another coast (who said that? :doh: ) BD could be from Maine, it's their winning ways that sets people off. With that, I'll leave you to your little therapy cabal where opposing views are not welcome or must be designed in a way that is acceptable to the "borg" (your term). There are sufficient people out here that understand my points and no manner of explanation by me will change your thinking. Toodaloo!

Again, another dissertation. It is welcome, we need to hear the WRONG views so that we know we are right.

And yes, you are in a borg.

As for their winning ways....look at Cavaliers, people wanted them to win in 2003, even though they won the previous 3. There goes your theory.

Sadly this took awhile to right, as what I really wanted to have me suspended... so, you have a very nice drum corps....

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll get into my reasoning in a second, but let me say first I do believe BD should have won. I also believe the score and the margin was too big. I'm not upset with the credit in the visual captions - BD was pretty flawless, but I do feel like the GE credit and Music credit was too much. Having listened to the Quarterfinals APDs last night, that opinion is reinforced (granted not the same show, but seriously, not too different from 2 days later).

Thank you, Harvey, for expressing so well what I thought also. I also agree BD should have won, but I can't help but look at the caption scores with disbelief.

I think that people get riled NOT because they hate BD or resent BD's win, but because when they see perfect 10's in Visual Composition and Musical Repertoire (i.e. the design and difficulty elements, as opposed to performance) they can't help but sense that the judges pre-decided the results.

To riff on a phrase from the 2000 election, people want a competition not a coronation.

Again, another dissertation. It is welcome, we need to hear the WRONG views so that we know we are right.

How's the view from up there on that horse?

On a side note, whoever mentioned this hornline diagonal pass through the chairs while the flags were flagging, I must have missed that. Where in the show did that occur?

I expect he was referring to 3:00 on the Allentown "on demand", 3:48 on Atlanta, or 2:28 on San Antonio. All three show the diagonal movement referenced and the guard work. Also, you will seethe drum line doing the same about 20 seconds before the footage noted above.

Way back, when I marched, BD won the vast majority of competitions, yet they also won over crowds coast to coast.

GB

You are correct. A show that is subscribed to by the "general" audience will be liked regardless of affiliation or location of venue. I don't necessarily dig the Cavaliers formula, but I truly recognize their banner years they were. . .entertaining.

I was at finals this year, and there are many good things about Devil's offering. But there is no excuse, a portion of the crowd did not subscribe.

Thank you, Harvey, for expressing so well what I thought also. I also agree BD should have won, but I can't help but look at the caption scores with disbelief.

I think that people get riled NOT because they hate BD or resent BD's win, but because when they see perfect 10's in Visual Composition and Musical Repertoire (i.e. the design and difficulty elements, as opposed to performance) they can't help but sense that the judges pre-decided the results.

To riff on a phrase from the 2000 election, people want a competition not a coronation.

YES.

How's the view from up there on that horse?

Although it came out like that, my intentions were to say that I still want to and DO read opposite view points. If DCP was everyone with the same ideas, we'd all have the same responses and threads would be short lived.

Cool.

That would match the Cadets and Cavaliers three-peats.

It's not a pissing contest, by the way. :doh:

Sorry it took so long to weigh in on this. If you use the "if not for the .025 margin BD would have 3-peated" argument, how many other finals would that affect?

How about '06 in Madison? Cavs beat Phantom by .03. If not for that, PR would have 2 out of 3. That being said, if you were there do you recall PR turning to the Cavvies and serenading them with a victory song? Now that's class and what we should expect from our kids. It made me very proud that my son was part of that Contra line and a great drum corps.

As for '09, I'll have to wait for the DVD as I missed the quarters in the theater. One thing though. These kids, all of these kids, put their heart and soul into this activity. They don't write the books and they don't set the scores. What they do do is entertain us for 50 days every summer.

Sorry it took so long to weigh in on this. If you use the "if not for the .025 margin BD would have 3-peated" argument, how many other finals would that affect?

How about '06 in Madison? Cavs beat Phantom by .03. If not for that, PR would have 2 out of 3. That being said, if you were there do you recall PR turning to the Cavvies and serenading them with a victory song? Now that's class and what we should expect from our kids. It made me very proud that my son was part of that Contra line and a great drum corps.

As for '09, I'll have to wait for the DVD as I missed the quarters in the theater. One thing though. These kids, all of these kids, put their heart and soul into this activity. They don't write the books and they don't set the scores. What they do do is entertain us for 50 days every summer.

I was misinterpreted on the "if not for the .025 three-peat" statement. I was merely trying to dramatize (not very well I guess) that BD has had a high level of accomplishment against a variety of top three contenders over three years. Not in any way a slight of PR's superb accomplishment last year.

Edited by Plan9

Wow - just wow. There are a lot of angry, upset, complaining and hoping you all see it my way people on here.

It's over folks. Bob Barker did not die for another summer. Everyone got home safe, including myself after a cancelled flight and getting home 30 hours later than I was supposd to. I consider it a great year. Congratulations to all (and I do mean all) the corps that entertained me.