Teal Sound

If your son wanted to march Teal you wouldn't encourage him to march? A true fan wouldn't care where his Son marched, as long as he did.

I guess we have very different views of parenting, as well as drum corps.

Yes, it matters to me a great deal where my son marches. He is still my flesh-and-blood, and minor, to boot. And yes, I will set boundaries as to where he will (or will not) march. Similarly, I set boundaries as to which friends he associates with, what school he attends, what extracurricular activities, he is involved in, etc. I set standards for him, and those lines can't be crossed. I want my son to grow up with the same traditional values that I have. That is my perogative, as a parent.

Sorry, I never read the Dr. Spock Baby Book. I believe that parents are here to imbue values on their children, and pass on our heritage and tradition to our offspring. We are not to let children experience the world, and decide for themselves, what they want to do. That is antithetical to what I believe a parent should be.

I am a parent, not a "24-hour Day Care Service".

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess we have very different views of parenting, as well as drum corps.

Yes, it matters to me a great deal where my son marches. He is still my flesh-and-blood, and minor, to boot. And yes, I will set boundaries as to where he will (or will not) march. Similarly, I set boundaries as to which friends he associates with, what school he attends, what extracurricular activities, he is involved in, etc. I set standards for him, and those lines can't be crossed. I want my son to grow up with the same traditional values that I have. That is my perogative, as a parent.

Sorry, I never read the Dr. Spock Baby Book. I believe that parents are here to imbue values on their children, and pass on our heritage and tradition to our offspring. We are not to let children experience the world, and decide for themselves, what they want to do. That is antithetical to what I believe a parent should be.

I am a parent, not a "24-hour Day Care Service".

So you think that Teal Sounds Having a Rock Band play in there show is going to cause your Son to grow up a bad person?

I really don't understand.....

I am sure that Teal Sound's rules are along the same lines as your rules. No Drugs, No Drinking. No Smoking, No Swearing, Act like an upstanding citizen at all times.

Is it really that they had a Rock Band in their show that you wouldn't let your Son march there?

Did I read that your Son marched Revo? Cause they were Begging for money to make it through the season, and that to me is a lot worse than have a Rock Band in a Corps.

Would you not allow your Son to march Boston Crusaders? Back in 85 they had a Synth on the Field. Does that break your rules too?

Cades Vocal Amen?

Star of Indiana?

These corps did things that were frowned upon at the time, but are now seen as innovative. I am sure in 20 years from now when there is only a top 3 left, we will look back at Teal Sound and say "#### that was cool"

And the whole Innovation Vs (whatever the other word you used was), DCI has a lot of Catching up to do before we will be able to innovate with these new toys. Give it a couple years. The Amplification is just working it self out now. Innovations with Amps are just starting to happen.

Relax man. Sit back and watch this kids perform. Who cares if they are playing The 3 Tenors or Coheed and Cambria. Its all awesome!

So you think that Teal Sounds Having a Rock Band play in there show is going to cause your Son to grow up a bad person?

I really don't understand.....

Rent a copy of Fiddler On The Roof. (This was the source of the bottle dance, which SCV used to win the title in 1978.) I am the 21st-century equivalent to Tevye, the main character in the musical, famously portrayed by Chaim Topol. I have essentially the same mentality as Tevye. I value tradition, and my heritage, as the source of my identify. I want the same thing for my son and daughter. Tevye did all he could, to pass on his beliefs and values to his children, despite living in a time of chaotic change. I am fighting essentially the same battle as he is.

And the whole Innovation Vs (whatever the other word you used was)

That word would be tradition. Or substitute heritage.

Heritage is sum of the traditions, histories, values and ideals, that bind a group of people through the ages. I would like to pass my drum corps heritage on to future generations.

Unfortunately, just like Tevye, I see my heritage being destroyed. And I feel powerless to stop it, which is extremely frustrating.

If you don't understand or value tradition, then you have no idea what I am talking about.

Edited by oldschooldbc

Couldn't be that. Teal had a nutritionist plan the meal program for the summer, and it was executed very well. The kids and staff not only had plenty to eat, it was outstanding (and I don't say that lightly). I have no problem standing up and saying that Teal Sound ate as well or better than just about any drum corps on the road.

Care to try again?

I cannot agree more!! I have been a member of two "wolrd class" corps before i marched teal and i can say from personal experience that not only did we eat ALOT...but we ate WELL!!!!!!!!! Thanks to the teal Kitchen staff and nutritionist team!!!!

Rent a copy of Fiddler On The Roof. (This was the source of the bottle dance, which SCV used to win the title in 1978.) I am the 21st-century equivalent to Tevye, the main character in the musical, famously portrayed by Chaim Topol. I have essentially the same mentality as Tevye. I value tradition, and my heritage, as the source of my identify. I want the same thing for my son and daughter. Tevye did all he could, to pass on his beliefs and values to his children, despite living in a time of chaotic change. I am fighting essentially the same battle as he is.

That word would be tradition. Or substitute heritage.

Heritage is sum of the traditions, histories, values and ideals, that bind a group of people through the ages. I would like to pass my drum corps heritage on to future generations.

Unfortunately, just like Tevye, I see my heritage being destroyed. And I feel powerless to stop it, which is extremely frustrating.

If you don't understand or value tradition, then you have no idea what I am talking about.

And just what is your drum corps heritage?? number of years marched? where? Just curious!!

And just what is your drum corps heritage?? number of years marched? where? Just curious!!

I marched with the Pride of Cincinnati during their breakthrough 1983 season. (This was back when they were exclusively a drum corps; they have sinced morphed into a WGI unit.) We managed to make semifinals that year, which saved the corps from extinction.

Sadly, the State of Ohio legislature changed the bingo rules, and cut the funding out from the corps. Because of the loss of bingo revenue, the corps folded a year later. Disgraceful. I was really bitter about how that all went down. I guess I am still bitter, to this day.

Now that 1983 repertroise was a true old-school drum corps show. The music from the movie Ben Hur was the theme for the show.

Thankfully, we did not need synthesizers, amplifiers, guitars, woodwinds, or any of that junk for that show. Today, it would probably be laughed off the field - which is a real shame.

Edited by oldschooldbc

What if the haters go away - and stop buying tickets, stop buying merchandise, stop paying tour fees, and stop cutting donation checks?

Randy can run his drum corps any way he wants to. If he can manage to keep his corps on tour and pay the bills, good for him. He will not see a dime of my money, so long as they continue to put on shows like the one I saw last Saturday. Period.

I will never buy a piece of Teal merchandise, or cut them a donation check. And if my son wants to march Teal someday, he will have to work a couple of summers at the Dairy Queen, to pay for it.

I simply cannot abide what passes from drum corps today. Appauling. A rock band fronting for a drum corps? Outrageous.

OK, Ok, Now tell us how you really feel....................

Note of Caution:

Despite differences in opinion on matters true to our heart, may it be reminded that we don't stretch these differences into attacks. No matter the level of sarcasm (or lack there of), by means of DCP guidelines it is not allowed and will result in the closing of this thread if they continue.

Would also like to mention that any discussion not related to the topic at hand may also result in the closing of this thread.

Couldn't be that. Teal had a nutritionist plan the meal program for the summer, and it was executed very well. The kids and staff not only had plenty to eat, it was outstanding (and I don't say that lightly). I have no problem standing up and saying that Teal Sound ate as well or better than just about any drum corps on the road.

Care to try again?

Im glad to hear Teal fixed that problem, I heard stories from friends of mine that marched there in '08, I assumed it hadnt been fixed. I take back my comment :tongue:

Im glad to hear Teal fixed that problem, I heard stories from friends of mine that marched there in '08, I assumed it hadnt been fixed. I take back my comment :tongue:

We were fed good in '08 as well. Everyone survived and was not in a state of starvation, maybe it wasnt an all you can eat buffet but everyone was fed.