Dan Acheson should be fired

The DCI organization (BOD, CEO, Staff) have been following a business model that is 27 years old

I am sorry, but I just don't understand the above statement.

DCI has significantly changed the way they do business, and a good part of it, to the benefit of drum corp fans. Back in 1982, for example, there were very few ways for me to see all of the corpsin one show, the way that is possible in regionals now. Instead of finals on TV, we have Quarters in High Definition and sound we could have only dreamed about. Sure the issues mentioned in this thread are real, but its not for lack of DCI making the attempt to improve...

You're talking about technical issues.

I'm talking about the business model: DCI is managed by a Board of Directors. The members of those Board of Directors were initially chosen by the placement of their member corps ... the top 12 sat on the board. It's basically the same model now, except there are a few "outside" board members.

I would think that choosing a Board of Directors based upon the business skills (i.e., Finance, Marketing, Promotions, Legal, Fund Raising, etc.) that each Director would bring to the organization would be a much better model than choosing a director on the basis of the performance level of a bunch of young people marching on a football field.

"Strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government"

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

dcpacheco has it right.

Compared to NFL needs (and the general public), DCI's wants are pretty much a "take what you can get" proposition. I wish it was different, but, in reality, that's not where we are with what we do.

OK, fair enough. But I think DCI can get a lot better than what they got at LOS, don't you?

In 1983, 37 corps competed in Class A (then the precursor to World Class.) This year, 22 corps competed in WC finals in Indianapolis.

That is a 40% drop in your membership, over the course of a quarter century. By any standard, that is an appauling falloff. Unless your are Alcoholics Anonymous, you want the size of your organization to grow, not shrink.

Clearly, something has gone very, very wrong in this activity, over the course of the past 20 years. Clearly, things have to change, and quickly, in order to cope with these problems.

One individual is not to blame. Perhaps Acheson is the person at the top, and he needs to take some responsibility for what is happening. But the problem does not lie solely with him. If he resigned tomorrow, the same fundamental issues would still be facing us.

I would argue that the fundamental model for this business - this activity - has to change. It was created 37 years ago, out of the wreckage of the old VFW and CYO competitions. Those tours were a shambles, as has often been documented here. Event staging, rulesetting, adjudication - they were all a mess. Much of this was due to the fact that those in charge of those tours hadn't a clue about drum corps. So DCI was invented, so that "drum corps experts" could run a drum corps tour.

That model worked reasonably well, for the first 15-20 years. But I would argue, that in recent years, it has gone badly off the rails.

The current model has the top 12 corps running the BOD - and, de facto, running everything. Clearly, the members have made decisions in the past, that benefit them, and which are to the detriment of of non-members. And this has been to the detriment of the activity as a whole. It has created a permanent oligarchy, which acts in its own self-interest, and which has allowed the activity to stagnate.

I would argue that we need to move back to the model that we had before DCI. Give control of the activity to someone other than members. The administration of the activity should be given to independent third-parties. They can make decisions that are best for all corps - not just some of them. They will be responsible for marketing, promotion, event staging, rulesetting - the works. And they will be responsible, for making sure that every event makes a profit, and every event returns revenue, to every corps.

In my opinion, that is what needs to happen, to rectify the sorry state of affairs, in this activity.

I disagree. DCI is a member-driven organization. Acheson doesn't make the big decisions. He didn't push through amplification, synths or LOS for that matter. The Board did. Dan Acheson merely executes the strategy he's given.

I did find it interesting that he didn't seem to be front and center during the festivities, though. Even down to the sponsor recognition, someone else presented the plaques.

Actually, as Executive Director, Dan holds responsibility for the decisions, ultimately. If he were simply implementing the decisions of others, then he would be Chief Operating Officer, no? Or SVP of Operations?

The Board is there to advise and assist, but as in any organization or company, it is Executive that holds the ultimate responsibility for decisions. He is then judged on his accomplishments/lack thereof, and rewarded/replaced.

AJMHO

I've worked in customer service. Sometimes the angry customer is just a bitter person.

I've worked in engineering. Here's what I've learned. If one person tells you you're messed up (that's the toned down way to say it), you can ignore him/her. If a second person tells you you're messed up, you should look inside yourself and figure out if you're messed up. If a third person tells you you're messed up....you're messed up.

So it "cowtown" were the only one with these feelings, ok, I could agree with you. But when all sorts of posters are echoing the same sentiment, DCI would be foolish to ignore it. Let Them Eat Cake? Is that what DCI's reaction should be? You can be sure they're well aware of the reaction to the venue.

HockeyDad,

Actually, no.

I think DCI decided upon what looks to be the ultimate location for its organization, and it's main event. After all, the Super Bowl will soon be held there, it's a magnificent downtown area, yada, yada, yada.

My deal is this, DCI had its first year in Indy. To some, it could have been better. Let's give DCI a second year in Indy to make things better. If they can't do that . . . THEN we get crazy about Year 3.

My deal is this, DCI had its first year in Indy. To some, it could have been better. Let's give DCI a second year in Indy to make things better. If they can't do that . . . THEN we get crazy about Year 3.

Nope, do you really think the Colts are going to even consider spending the dollars it would take to make the acoustcial adjustments for a 3 day event once a year. Not in a million years. They have a signed contract and are sitting back waiting for the next check to come in.

The make-up of the board was changed drastically 2 years ago. It is not the top 12 or the world class corps directors any more. It is a much smaller group of directors with at-large members as well. They are trying to go to a more business-like set-up to help make decisions based on total experiences and not just drum corps competitive placement.

Any change, with running DCI and new venues will take time to develop.

Good concerns, but not voiced in a way of helpful complaint. When complaints are mixed with venom, any human gets their back up. Wouldn't you??

If the same concerns were voiced in an adult and mature way, imagine how much more serious they would be taken.

That is how any organization works best with customer service.

Knowing the DCI team, they will respond regardless of the delivery. I think that they have show and very good track-record of making issues better when given a chance. To write that off now is like blaming them, or specifically Dan, for every poor business decision that corps and DCI has made for over 35 years. God-forbid it was corps directors, who were beloved by all, making crappy decisions just to be one place higher or to make finals. It's happening even today, but I guess that is DCI/Dan's fault too...

It's sad, that a forum as good as this, turns into a venue for personal attacks and calls for peoples heads.

I agree that it's how things go the second year that will be the telling sign of a quality venue and organization. I hope to see improvements as well. We all do regardless of the venue or show (and corps too!!).

Of course not, Ed.

The Colts have NO interest in DCI.

What I'm thinking is, maybe, opening the roof will help. If not, maybe, DCI should spend $20K for some temporary fix. A temporary fix like hanging insulation from the rafters, draping over empty seats, etc. I really don't know. Let's at least give them (DCI) a year to try something different.