How many can say.....

The field A/V crew was placing mics right in front of each corps' pit speakers....that should have picked up the synth sound.

I've only heard a couple of quarterfinals recordings so far. Which corps have you heard this problem with?

The ones where the issue occured the most to me were Blue Devils (the lower synth buildup to the drum feature, for instance) and Bluecoats, but also sections of HNC (the jazz piano portion of Cool) and Carolina Crown.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone who appreciates the sound of an unadulterated horn line, the use of synths definitely corrupts the sound that brought and kept me into this activity.

Please do not dismiss those who share the same concerns by labeling them as dinosaurs. I consider myself quite progressive when it comes to seeing the activity grow.

Bingo. One of my favorite elements of drum corps will soon be lost. Very sad indeed.

Well, you can call me old fashioned, I guess, but I have a huge problem with synths, and electronics used for voice and I especially have a problem with woodwinds coming in. Marching band has all of the above, and i love marching band as well, but i dont love those items in Drum Corps.

If a drum corps needs the electronics and voice to "tell the story", then they must not be confident in the show design, or the ability of the student to perform it. Drum Corps have been telling stories for years prior to all this electronic crap, and I understood the "stories" that were designed and executed well, and didn't understand the ones that wern't. The ones that were good were usually at the top, and the ones that were not were usually at the bottom.

Leave band where band is, and drum corps where it was. I can enjoy both that way.....

Mike

Spartans '87

That said, I enjoyed the new sounds. I know the argument is "why not be creative and figure a way to get the brass to emulate the sounds you want with synths, etc.?" However, for me, I don't always want to hear the brass emulate something when I can just hear that "something." Even if it is a sampled piano vs. the real thing. Still, it's neat and gives us new colors without putting woodwinds on the field, and it does allow us the ability to balance those sounds with the brass as best we can. Some do this better than others.

I dunno, I'd almost prefer the woodwinds on the field. I'd rather hear an amplified clarinet play the opening to Rhapsody in Blue than a keyboard generating a clarinet-like sound. At least there would be more musicianship necessary to make the clarinet sound good.

Even the synth/keyboard solo in the Cadets' percussion solo this year left me flat. I'll admit I was grooving to it but it seemed to be easy way out: having the non-electronic instruments in the pit play that would have made it a more challenging passage. For me, seeing the virtuosity within a show is at least as enjoyable as a cool show concept.

Edited by Phillygwm

I think that most shows used the synth wisely. Like any rule change or new option available, usage will fall on both sides of your own musical line. Would I prefer purely member-made acoustic instruments with no keyboard? Sure. Will what I heard this year send me off of the deep end? No.

Edited by cajal

Some corps still overdid it a bit, IMO.

However, it wasn't as bad as I thought it could be going in. . .SCV, HNC, Crown and others helped cement that viewpoint.

i think the low end was really overdone. I'm still waiting for the ground breaking design we were promised.

and balance is still a HUGE issue that gets ignored

Just seen a ripped Fan Network video of Devils in Semis, and apart from a generally slightly loud piut, it wasn't too bad.

As for the synth - it would have been fine if they hadn't of blatantly TURNED IT UP at certain points in the shows. Otherwise it would have been ok.

I dunno, I'd almost prefer the woodwinds on the field. I'd rather hear an amplified clarinet play the opening to Rhapsody in Blue than a keyboard generating a clarinet-like sound. At least there would be more musicianship necessary to make the clarinet sound good.

Even the synth/keyboard solo in the Cadets' percussion solo this year left me flat. I'll admit I was grooving to it but it seemed to be easy way out: having the non-electronic instruments in the pit play that would have made it a more challenging passage. For me, seeing the virtuosity within a show is at least as enjoyable as a cool show concept.

The synth/keyboard piano solo in Cadets show shows off plenty of virtuosity. A kid had to play it, on a keyboard. If he used a real piano, he would still play it, on a keyboard. We simply can't put the grand piano on the field, so the keyboard makes perfect sense her. So I don't get how this was the EASY way out. That makes no sense. Yes, your clarinet example is a good one, and that makes perfect sense. I think corps would be smart enough to refrain from that kind of synth usage. There will be a time for them, and there are times to limit their use and put the part in the brass or percussion.

Also, I completely agree with others about the balance and blend issues. That is my biggest concert. Way too loud in so many cases. These corps need to find some people with ears and a real knowledge of outdoor PA and mic placement, mixing board knowledge, and balancing with acoustic instruments, namely brass. It's a lot more difficult that most would think, and I know they are trying, but things are generally not balanced real well. Not just at Lucas Oil, but throughout the summer. Certainly being in a dome hurts.

There was a little part in Blue Devils show where the synth worked perfectly. Well.. the whole show was nearly perfecty :shutup:

I can live with the synths...the mic's....the amps....

there's only one thing I want them to get rid of...

the speakers

they get rid of those, and I'll be much happier... :shutup: